1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Legally enforced ratings system for UK?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2008.

1. NikTheSHNIK

NikTheSHNIK What's a Dremel?

DO SOME RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I currently am employed by Gamestation in the UK.

There exists already a legal framework to prevent underage persons buying games which are classified, monitored by the BBFC.

If i sell an age-rated game to a minor i may face a custodial/fine/community sentence. As well as losing my job and having a criminal record.
    The people responsible for minors obtaining age-rated products is the parents. We turn away many each day trying to buy 18 rated products with a combination of sex/violence/swearing and it is the ignorant minority who do not abide by these rules.

DO SOME RESEARCH

LAZY LAZY LAZY

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

But not all games are rated its a voluntary sytem.

READ THE THREAD!!!11111

3. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Does this just stop you from selling games to underage kids, or stop them from actually playing?

If its the former, this entire thing is pretty null because most shops that sell "optionally enforced" games still demand ID (at least where i live), And then parents will just buy the games for the children, and nothing much changes

4. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

The positive effect of games having a mandatory run past the BBFC is that it would (potentially) move the "these horrible games are being sold to children" outrage away from the games industry and onto the moron parents who buy "Kill Everything: With Guns - XI" for their underage offspring.

Of course the BBFC's game rating methods would have to be improved, like actually playing the game say, instead of merely watching video of it being played.

5. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Fair point, obviously they would need more staff (volunteers if I remember correctly) and how many people here would apply for that position just to play through potentially uncensored pre-release games? I for one would be glad to give up some of my "spare time" that would usually be wasted playing games... errr...:eyebrow:

from the bbfc website:

Bring it on and watch for the employment adds :D:D:D:D:D

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I agree in that if a rating is set that it should be illegal as a retailer to sell it to someone under that age without a legal guardians to pay for it.

7. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

Already been done in Canada... the ESRB is nessecary, and every game has a rating put on it before it goes for sale. Work fines to be honest...

Tags: Add Tags