1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Why Games Magazines Are Crap

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CardJoe, 6 Feb 2008.

1. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I used to read a lot of gaming magazines. GMR, a small indie publication, stood out as a relatively good read. It never slanted on major release titles any more than the small gems. The rest were shite.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I used to buy CPU and somthing else, but after I switched to linux I just founf them not relevant to me anymore. Sure, the modding was nice, but 85% of what was in there I had no use for and the rest wasn't worth the price.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I used to be a big PC Zone and PC Format fanboy, esp. PC Format because i could spend weeks reading it after I'd read the game reviews, but in the end I disagreed with the price to content value too much.

4. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Well, the last magazine I bought had an exclusive interview with Ghengas Khan!

But yeah I used to buy PC Format, but it's like a billion quid now for a book of which 20+% is just ads, and a disk full of crappy old versions of freeware and drivers and game demos I can get elsewhere. D:

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I wouldn't mind so much, but the magazines seem to miss the point. If mags like PC Format had proper exclusive demos on the disk instead of indie freeware crap (which is the same every issue and available for free anyway) and had more of a focus on how-to features then I'd still buy it. Don't tell me about a game - I can get that for free. Run more on-going projects like 'How to Make a Game', 'How to Mod your case' or 'How to blah blah blah'. That stuff is online too, but people actually value having it in their hands and not online.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I read PC zone from 2000-2004, but then it got bad. I even won my first PC from them. Top of the range when Z Steel Soldiers came out :D

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I agree, they should stop focusing of previews and reviews now and instead focus on making it a magazine. A price drop would also help, £5 for a book full of advertising? No thanks, either drop the price or drop the ads.

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

wait.... computer magazines still exist?!?

9. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

fix'd.

AH

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've given up on magazines. It's content I already knew about beforehand from the web, generally distilled, and short reviews that tend to oversimplify things.

11. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I have a subscription to CPU mag and I enjoy it. Sure, you can get the same stuff off of the internt, but having a physical thing means less searching for me. I think they should expand certain parts of the mag and cut down on the useless opinionated articles from some of the writers, but in all I have learned alot from the magazine.

Joe make your own mag and I'll pay to have it imported here to the states.:D Then that cult you always wanted to start just might take off!

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

EDGE and GAMES™ are the only two mags I get. Usually only when I'm going on holiday or something.

13. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

The three people that I listen to when considering buying a game:
    1) Joe Martin
    2) Stuart Andrews
    3) Katherine Fletcher (and she's fit- well earned bonus points)

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I have a free sub to GameInformer that I do find to be rather decent. It's not spot on, or often first, but they really do have good insights into upcoming games.

I listen to Joe, Bindi and Morgan Webb. Mostly to Morgan. She's pretty hot...

15. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

If you keep up to date online with the latest games news then by the time it appears in a magazine its old news to you.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Last gaming magazine I bought was "Your Sinclair" :D

17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I used to buy the occasional game mag out of bordom when working the night shift,

but i stopped a while ago so all i buy is total guitar and metal hammer and the occasional new scientist.

I rely on you here at bit-tech to give me the gaming gossip FIRST

18. Dracyr

Dracyr What's a Dremel?

i love the swedish pc gamer for their humor :D, one preview was called "pervert expansion
    , warhammer 40k" and then some text. they once had an ad for PC Gaymer, you can guess what that was about XD.

19. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

The last magazine I bought half a year ago. I didn't even read it, but I got a copy of Aquanox 2, a game I wanted to play again. That is what mags still are good for: Getting copies of old games for little money.

20. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Used to read PCFormat or PCGamer UK, wonder if those are any good now?

Tags: