1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Water cooling kits , they any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Candle, 18 Feb 2008.

1. Candle

Candle The lunatic is in my head

I found one here thats got a good price and not sure if they suck or not?
    Would you think it could handle a video card block too.

[​IMG]

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Most pre-made kits aren't worth it and at best offer performance that's on par with a good heatpipe cooler; if you really want to get into watercooling then you should get quality components from the likes of DangerDen, Swiftech, EK-waterblocks, D-Tek, Thermochill, Hardware Labs, and LIANG.

There's no way I'd ever consider running a CPU and GPU with just a 120mm radiator; at the very least you'd need a 240mm, preferrably a 360mm radiator.

3. Candle

Thanks for the help , I was wondering if they were any good or not.
    Don't want to burn up anything thats for sure.

4. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Well let's put it this way; Thermaltake H2O kits are absolute crap, tops often crack, fittings leak, etc.

Many other kits (i.e. the coolermaster one in question) are better than stock cooling but generally perform about on par with a top-end heatpipe (which generally costs less) so I don't find them worth the investment. Quality watercooling components will provide significanlty petter performance than the best heatpipe will offer; so I say get quality H2O components or (e.g. if you can't afford it) stick with a good aircooler.

5. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Go with ebay and piece your own together. Find a swiftech apogee, a black ice xtreme 120 or similar (or 240 if you want), and a mcp355 (350 is fine) then run Home depot tubing if you're really short on cash, and while you're at home depot, buy a t-fitting and a plug

I've built systems like these for $100 or less. The pump will be the most expensive part. If you cant find a good deal on that pump go to dangerden and grab one of these.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=279&cat=23&page=1

6. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Oh and did I mention this should outperform most prebuilt kits? And No you don't need more than a 120mm radiator if you get a Black Ice GT/GTX/Xtreme or a Thermochill, or something thicker than the fan you're putting on it.

7. Candle

This is the card I have so not sure if it is worth cooling it?
    And this CPU.

8. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

the 7300 won't really gain anything with watercooling; the P4 631could offer quite a bit a of a benefit when overclocking, but considering the age of it, I'd rather save the money and put it towards a new rig.

If you do want to go water but are tight on cash; do what Fozzy recommended and get quality parts inexpensively off ebay.

9. rodeo45

rodeo45 Who's your daddy ???

Tags: