1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting .mkv to dvd

Discussion in 'Software' started by malikdrako, 19 Feb 2008.

1. malikdrako

malikdrako Minimodder

I'm trying to convert .mkv files to dvd, and cant find a program that actually works
    the files have h.264 video, vorbis audio, and .ass(styled)/.srt(plain) subtitles
    I usually use ConvertXtoDVD, but it doesnt include the subtitles
    if necessary, I could convert to another format then to dvd, but straight to dvd is preferred
    so far, the closest I got was Avidemux, but it keeps crashing while encoding with .ass subtitles
    i'll keep playing around with the settings to see if I can get it to work
    are there any other (preferably free) programs that can hard-code the subtitles from a .mkv into any format?

2. godmonkey

godmonkey What's a Dremel?

Most of the programs that I have seen for converting files from .mkv to anything else usually stream copying. As such it is just audio and video only. Have you tried Avi2Dvd? From what I have seen it is still only in beta.

From what I found:

Haven't tried it myself but hey its free...

Hope this is some help!

3. malikdrako

malikdrako Minimodder

just tried avi2dvd, doesnt support .ass subtitles
    was playing around with settings in avidemux and found it doesnt want to sync the audio with the video properly

edit: found a program that works: MKVtoolnix w/ MKVExtract to extract subtitles and Xvid4PSP to hard code subtitles as .avi

Last edited: 20 Feb 2008