1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my video card died... Not sure.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ready2GoXtr, 21 Feb 2008.

1. Ready2GoXtr

Ready2GoXtr What's a Dremel?

Well My system specs should be listed below. Im just hoping its something fixable. But knowing my recent luck with getting dumped, getting cancer and getting in a car wreck its probably gonna end up costing me some money. (Which I dont really have right now) I was playing TF2 on idk I guess you could call it Medium-High settings. When my screen froze and parts of the map started turning grey slowly. Then it just became a bunch of grey and white dots. Computer locked up and restarted on its own. At the typical (press what ever to enter bios screen) and (videocard drive screen) During Boot. There are aloto of white dots on the screen. Like periods and they seem to be in a row. not just in random spots. And White verticle lines going from top to bottom. But when I start in safemode. (when I think the cpu is in control of all video fps) It runs okay. And the lcd screen on the board says 2.0 Which is what it always says. Ive asked xforce nvidia whats up.. Havent gotten a reply. Oh the specific for the card is 128 meg 256 bit and 300mhz. Thanks for your help!

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

system specs aren't actually listed.
    do you know someone who will let you try their card in your machine?
    how old is it? check the heatsink on the video card for dust which can block airflow and cause it to overheat. may as well check the cpu heatsink while you have your pc open in case it is a bad case of dust.

3. Ready2GoXtr

Okay its gotta be like 4 to 5 years old. Motherboard... Kv8-Max3 1gb corsair memory. Cpu = Amd Athlon 64 3200+ 1 meg l2 cache. I never leave it running. Il let you know if it sorts out. =P

4. Ready2GoXtr

Okay i cleaned it out.. Didnt look that dusty adn I never heard a heat alarm go off. But It still has all these dots going all over the screen. So i tried removing it to see what happens if it just runs without videocard on it. It seems to run for a while then shuts itself off. but it Keeps the 2.0 On it!

5. Cs:sMods4YOU

Cs:sMods4YOU What's a Dremel?

did you ever remove the heatsink and forget to apply thermal paste. thats wat i did i couldnt figure out y my comp as overheating. then i watch this video and found out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7XosLKUJEE
    hope this helps

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

dude! buy yourself a gtx, it sounds like you need a treat.

try reflashing the firmware on the card, and reinstalling drivers. safe mode means that windows is using the default vesa drivers and not the official ones, so if it is working in safe mode then the hardware should be fine.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2008
  7. Ready2GoXtr

Ha. How do i reflash firmware on a card?