1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a strange power supply.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OtakuHawk, 1 Mar 2008.

1. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

In my various musings, I find myself looking for a power supply with the following qualities:

Input:

12vdc
    OR
    120vac/240vac

output:

5V @ 12A
    3.3v @ 15A
    12V @ 10A

It's for a mobile network/storage center, and I'd like to be able to get power anywhere, be it a few deep-cycle batteries, or a convenient wall plug and extension cable.

I initially thought of just using an inverter, but 300 watt inverters are rather large an inefficient.

I have seen a few laptop power bricks that can do this. can it be scaled upwards?

2. Zytek_Fan

Zytek_Fan The tortoise

There are very small form factor power supplies. I remember seeing them on newegg, but I can't find them now.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Your best bet is a -48V DC power supply (Commonly used by telcos) with a rectifier powering the system when you have AC. It'll be expensive, but it's probably your best option if your serious about it.

Edit: Better yet: buy a UPS on ebay (many are sold without batteries/ dead batteries) and Hook it up to some external batteries with some 6awg cable. A bit of soldering and dremeling later and your done.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You may want to investigate CarPC websites.