1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More details on Xbox 360 failure rates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Feb 2008.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Most of the issues are down to poor quality solder to comply with ROHSS and Greenpeace...

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well I know at work I get at least two phone calls a day about a 360 pro being dead and we have at least 1 person that I see come into the store to return or exchange a dead pro, not so good from what I can see.

3. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

That's insanely high for a failure rate :/ At least my 360 is still going strong :rock:

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's a ridiculously small amount of consoles to survey, but still, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the failure rate.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

My pc has never failed, and i can do anything with it.

(yeah i hate consoles)

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

can't agree with that because other devices dont suffer from such problems.

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i agree with you, ROHS stuff is a stupid pain in the a** - but it is not (or shouldnt be) responsible for the issue

Bad design and bad testing are responsible

8. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Agree with both of you, tons of other devices follow RoHS compliancy, if it was really causing solder joints to just fall apart then the whole industry would be up in arms. From what I've read the PCBA's warped under the heat and broke the joints and if your PCBA is warping that badly (warping at all even) then its kinda hard to place the blame on a poor solder job.

I wonder how extensive their testing was, I find it hard to believe they did any thermal testing. Normally when testing the life of a device its put through worse conditions than it will see in actual operation, I don't see how they couldn't have uncovered this problem if they actually did thermal testing.

9. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

My XBox is currently semi-dead :(
    It works absolutely fine ... unless you try plugging it in via HDMI. Which, considering any other way on my 1080p TV makes it look fuzzy, is not really a great situation. Thankfully I have some free time this month to try and get it rectified.

10. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Ugh. I should have knocked on wood when I said that. It just got the red ring of death tonight.

We were going to watch Harry Potter together but it froze and when she restarted it gave the error. Looks like it's time to send it in. I feel really bad for giving her a "cursed" xbox. :grr:

11. Dvs98SK

Dvs98SK What's a Dremel?

Disk read errors is the first sign. Soon after it likes to lock up and need reset and then one day when you reset it will give you the rod.

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Yeah, that's about how it went with my box.

:wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags