1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment XTi VS D60?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by mattthegamer463, 2 Mar 2008.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

For my High School graduation and birthday in the coming months, my dad says he will get me a DSLR camera of my own instead of me having to use his, which is often unavailable when he goes off on buisness constantly. Henrys camera stores has a Rebel XTi body and 18-55mm for $800, and they also have a Nikon D60 with 18-55m for the same price. Very similar cameras, and I have always liked Nikon better than Canon but the reason I'm torn between the two is this: my dad already owns a Rebel XTi and we have a battery grip and 70-300mm telescopic lens for it. If I buy another Rebel, I can borrow and share the parts hes got, and on his salary its easier for me to talk him into buying more lenses for his camera than it is for me to buy them myself for my camera. I'm not really sure what I should do. Any opinions for which I should go for? And are XTi and XTi-compatible lenses compatible with the D60? I know higher end Nikons use 76mm lenses or something, but I'm not sure about the D60. They look quite close in size though. Thanks for opinions.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Canon and Nikon lenses have a different fitting and are not interchangeable.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Lens compatibility isn't just a feature of the size of the mount; Canon and Nikon have different mounts, each with different physical and electrical connections. While you can find the odd adapter here and there, for all practical purposes, you can't mix and match. In fact, the adapter I linked above only makes a physical connection for Nikon lenses on Canon bodies. It does not provide any electrical connection translation. This means that the lens will have to be used in total manual mode (no autofocus, and no automatic aperture control).

As for your question about Nikon vs. Canon, you might do well to go with XTi. Since you're on a budget, you and your dad will be able to share your lenses and accessories.

Hope that helps.
    -monkey

4. Vers

Vers ...

Well then I would think a Canon body would seem more fitting. You could even try and convince your father to pick up some additional glass, that way you can enjoy the fruits of HIS labor as well :D Canon lenses will not work with Nikon, but there are adapters that exist that allow Nikon lenses to work on Canon bodies...but I would stick to Nikon mounted lenses on Nikon bodies and Canon mounted lenses for Canon bodies. Either way you decide to go, know that they are both very similar bodies and adequate starters but I'd have to say the D60 would have the edge. In the end you may want to consider the XSi, which should be released very shortly, instead of the XTi.

-Matt

5. RonaldoR9

RonaldoR9 What's a Dremel?

Thats a tough one. I also love Nikon's, especially my d40. I have always liked the verity and quality of lenses Nikon offers. But the best bet is to go through each cameras menu, presumably only the Nikon's since you probably have experience with cannons and see which one feels better. This is what i did, but i also factored in which one offers the most fitting lenses that i might purchase later (mostly wideangle lenses).

Either way you wont go wrong

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well make sure you two have the understanding that you'll want to borrow some of his glass from time to time if you get a Canon body. If that's not going to happen for whatever reason (as the body isn't available all the time, I don't see why you wouldn't have the same problem with lenses) and you prefer the Nikon body, then get the Nikon.

7. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Ask for a 5D. hehe :D

Tags: