1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project FiveWood - Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by cc3d, 28 Feb 2008.

1. cc3d

cc3d It's a mod mod world

Just a little more progress. This panel has me thinking so I want to get it knocked out soon before I blow a fuse. I decided to route the strips with a dove-tail bit to get this nice groove.

[​IMG]
    This groove allows a nice strip of copper to fit in. I brushed this copper for a nice finish. Here, the copper is not secured to the walnut yet. This explains the rippling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I took all the parts I had and threw them together. Nothing is secured or even tacked down here, just laying stuff out to see how it ...lays..out.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and see you next time.

CC

2. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Glad to see you brought your log over here from TMN. Five Wood is coming along impressively!

3. cc3d

thanks

Yea, I got convinced to move one over here. Looking forward to it.

CC

4. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Love it...

5. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

For a second I thought you did this all in one day.
    Good thing I read.
    Anyways, I love the copper accents, especially on the drive bay cover.
    And the brushed Cu looks great too.

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

that is beautiful. i really like the overlaid peices that have the knots and imperfections in them. i think i'm going to have to do something with wood soon, it's so nice to work with.

can you post some more shots of your i/o backplate and pci slots? i'd like to see how you did that.

7. ROB 636

ROB 636 Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop

What is with the walnut. I keep thinking it is some kind of stone the way it looks. It is some of that fancy wood.

I would like to make a wood case but I'm not sure how to do the IO and PCI either from wood or from a gutted case. I pretty much have the thing drawn out in sketchup.

8. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

WOW! So much progess TODAY!! :thumb:

9. mrdexter

mrdexter What's a Dremel?

That looks beautiful, I would love a wooden case and this is the sort of project to give a man inspiration to try anything. Unfortunately me and wood have an arrangement, I don't go near it and it doesn't split.

Can't wait to see this project through, not only the completion but I am really enjoying the worklog too :)

10. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

amazing wood skills, i love the top panel and modular side panels. One question,how will you open the sidepanels, 2 at the time by hand or will it be some sort of mechanism that opens all 4 at the same time?.

Regards.

11. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

Sorry for jumping the gun yesterday. It seemed everytime I made a post, you had already added more. Very nicely done. I like the use of copper as a background accent.

12. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

BTW, was that teaser shot... Canary Wood?

13. cc3d

No, I wish though. I have no canary wood for now. Like you, I have a place up the road that does large scale wood processing. They have everything you can imagine. They have 2 - 55 gallon drum scrap bins full of boards every week. These boards go from 18"x2"x6" to 60"x12"x4" in many different varieties. They'll sell me both bins for $25. I usually get about $500 worth of wood each time. I have brought home so muchg feakin wood that my wife accused me of vuilding an ark! I actually have enough to do that I think.
    :hehe:

14. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Great work on this mod so far. The door system is quite original.

15. -Nick-

-Nick- What's a Dremel?

wow really night mod, alot of wooden case mods these days but this is def one of the best imo :D

16. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Like I said over at Wizdforums, that combination of the woods and the copper blows me away!

17. InferiorPlanets

InferiorPlanets Worshiping the SilverStonehenge™

SCORE!!!!:rock: That's some beautiful wood (yeah, that sounds great :worried: ). I can't wait to see this one finished! If I still worked at Hunter Army Airfield I'd make the short drive to track you down... I'd be the guy in the ski mask and moving truck LOL

Unbelievable about the "scrap" bins... I need to get back to the States. MOTM nom is definitely coming your way! Subscribed :clap:

18. cc3d

Thanks (everyone) for the props!! This build is moving along, but it is going longer than I had planned. I had originally planned to have it done this past Monday, but I am now shooting for March 25, 2008. It doesn't help that I just spent 5 hours Saturday re-arranging my shop instead of making any progress.

But!!! I am anticipating the arrival of a Jet 10/20" drum sander next week. This will complete my plan to turn all wood into sawdust!! I am also shopping for a new table-saw. If anybody has the 411 on a good (or what to avoid) table saw in the $600-$800 range, send me a note. I am currently leaning towards a Jet table saw as well.

The build is coming along well, I have reserved some 'surprises' to spring on you when they're complete. :naughty: However, I will post some more progress that's not part of the skunkworks.

thanks again.

CC

19. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

If you build an ark, we want photos and a proper worklog, of course! ;P

The case is getting such a "warm" feeling to it and the copper trim adds even more to the effect. Much admiration for you modders working with fine wood.

20. godmonkey

godmonkey What's a Dremel?

This looks freaking sweet!!! (WOW never thought I would say that about another man's wood! :eeek:)

But I really like the look of this so far. What kind of lacquer are you going to use? I hope nothing to dark as the natural contrasts of the different wood is quite beautiful. Oh and the copper highlights are a work of art! Keep up the good work! :rock: