1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD's 780G integrated graphics chipset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Mar 2008.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I mean convince her that the bedroom machine needs it, though I think she'll agree that it does.

2. Kamakazie!

Kamakazie! What's a Dremel?

Chipset decided for my HTPC then.... now i am just waiting on the crossfire review as i fancy playing the odd racing game/audiosurf on the media centre. Should be damn nice paired with a passive 3450/3650 i would have thought. Don't think i can justify a 3850 in a HTPC for just the very occasional game.

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

ive got a be-2350 and the gigabyte 690g board and i had to spurt an extra 60 quid on a fanless 2600xt to get bluray/hddvd to work....
    I have to say the cpu/mobo combo has been great and really impressed me with its feature set for such a low price.

having seen this review im quite tempted to get this board instead to keep the powerconsumption that much lower as my hcpc is always on...
    Tho i guess it may make sense to wait for the next iteration in the hope that it has proper HD sound built in...

im not sure id build one from scratch again now tho, as a ps3 with playtv would be around the same cost and play proper tv games...

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, that 289W is the quoted full load figure of the NEW 40GB model launched in the EU. I don't have specs for the "BD Playback only" but the system doesn't use a dedicated processor for Blu playback and it has no sleep states for the Cell afaik other than "idle".

Thing is - you may get Blu to play under linux but having just seen PowerDVD 8's features - I'd want all that extra connectivity.

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Hmm, how hard is it to get bluray working in linux?
    And using this chipset's power in linux, should that be something that AMD provides drivers for?
    Or is it down to software makers (like powerDVD etc)?
    Or is it down to the likes of ubuntu to enable support for it?

Can we not have it in linux too though?
    Even better, in a specific HTPC distro like mythdora or something?

Last edited: 4 Mar 2008
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope - DRM issues make it Windows only for most software developers. Cyberlink are coming down to visit bitHQ next week so I'll ask.

The Linux userbase is so absolutely minimal, it's very difficult to justify the expense on coding for it.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Perhaps the specs for the PSU but there nothing you can run on a PS3 that gets near that.

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

gaaayyyyy. :(
    So are we stuck waiting for a de-CSS type program to come along before Linux can play the media?
    Surely not if you can download ripped BluRay films?

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the more difficult it is to crack the sooner they will crack it....

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The 'PS2' inside of the PS3 was really just a single chip, so I'm not sure that removing it really decreased power usage. According to Wikipedia, this chip consumes 15W at 1.8v, so even if it was on all the time, there really would be no difference.

11. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing that's the amount of power it would draw if everything in it were maxed out.
    All cores at 100%, HDD going mad, NIC getting leathered, Bluray working flat out etc.
    Realistically, that's not likely to happen all at once.

12. Mante

Mante What's a Dremel?

Amd with this new product has owned the mainstream users. This is going to be a very big sell in countries where getting a computer is an invertion more than just to get a computer.

13. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I just saw some info on the X2 4850E CPU that is one option to go with this.
    If I can run that CPU with a nice, quiet HSF, and if it is all cheap, I think I'll be upgrading my media PC very soon.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

so how does this chipset compare to the 790?

15. stark

stark What's a Dremel?

Would the Silverstone LC-19 Fanless 120W DC/DC Power Supply have enough power to run this, be-2350, PCI tuner, Laptop DVD, and a 500gb HD? Cos that with the right heatsink could make a very powerfull and silent Media Center.

16. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

17. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Intel is way better, at the moment.
    The AMD CPU's thrashed everything from intel until they brought out the Core marchitecture.
    And what do you think drove Intel to making such a good range of processors?
    It sure wasn't the overwhelming desire to make us all happy, it was because they wanted our money to go to them instead of AMD and so they had to beat the AMD CPUs.
    ie, competition drives forward the technoology bringing better and cheaper tech to us.
    No competition, no point in spending so much on R&D etc when they can sit back and reap the rewards of being the only manufacturer.

Loving the sweeping statement.
    Makes you sound like an immature know-it-all teenager though. ;)

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

QFT

AMD rocked with Duron and Athlon up to Socket A and through 939. It was Intel having a relatively huge stake in Compilers which gave them the advantage.

19. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

the gigabyte board is on today only at scan for £56.40 if anyone wants to save themselves £2 :)

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Should be fine, thats effectively the setup I have but using a 690G chipset which uses more power plus I have 1 PCI and2 USB tuners.

Tags: Add Tags