1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress DUNA Project. Add-on: Controlling Winamp via Midibox - new custom software *VIDEOS*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by misterkholl, 30 Jan 2008.

1. misterkholl

misterkholl modMode:on

Hello!

Who works with A/V editing and mixing knows how annoying is to do it only with the mouse and keyboard. For a long time I've been trying to find a more professional solution for this type of application, the problem is that the digital mixers were and still are too expensive, so i knew the Emagics's MIDI controller : The
    Logic Control, which allows to 'talk' with the Logic Audio software in completely independent way of the mouse and keyboard, leaving them just for
    common tasks such as typing a text or select another application.
    Although it's quite attractive (both in price and in functionality), Logic Control still seemed too industry standard for me - You must agree that Modding it's a kind of 'curse' (for our luck), once modder, you won't never use things without turn it unique.
    I realize that to mod the Logic Control wouldn't be enough for me when I knew the famous DIY work of the brilliant German electronics engineer, Mr. Thorsten Klose: the Midibox. So I decide to go beyond the modding, and create my own controller.

Thorsten created a main circuit based on PIC called Core module) and some peripheral circuits. He also created an operating system all written in assembler to control the whole system, thus defining the MBHP (Midibox Hardware Platform) and MIOS (Midibox Operational System).

The software architecture consists in 3 layers: Bootloader, the MIOS and the Application layer (where anyone can develop applications for that platform and upload them without the need to burn the PIC again, all by MIDI Sysex).

With Midibox you can create synthesizers, mixing controllers, DJ controllers, etc .... you just must to get (or write) the perfect application, and the use of peripheral circuits best possible way.

The main peripheral circuits (modules) of the hardware platform are: DIN (Digital Input), DOUT (Digital Output), AIN (Analog Input) , AOUT (Analog Output), MF (Motor Faders), SID (based on the famous sound chip of the Commodore 64), among others.

To my luck, when I knew the Midibox, Thorsten had already created the LC application. The LC application is nothing more, nothing less than the emulator of the Logic Control , emulating 100% of the functionality of this protocol, really fantastic!

For the LC application would be necessary, the Core module (the heart and brain of Midibox) and some IN/OUT modules, they are:

4 DIN modules (allowing implement 96 on/off switches and 9 rotary encoders)
    3 DOUT modules (allowing implement 96 leds and 12 more 7-segment displays)
    1 MF module (allowing implement 8 motor faders)
    1 Dot matrix LCD or two alpha LCDs

That would be the classic vision of the LC implementing 100% of the features of Logic Control.
    So when I decided to start it, my enthusiastic roots led me to a direction which I would not just create the controller, but an entire station with integrated hardware, watercooler, storage, etc. .... so came the Duna project.

In this version (Duna Classic) I will implement the Logic Control standard (with 8 motor faders), but for the ModTV I reserve the Extreme version that will be equipped with 24 motor faders

Being completely open source (both in schematics and software, including the MIOS and the bootloader) I had three options to start it:

1 – Get the schematics, build the pcb from scratch in accordance with my needs;
    2 – Get the Eagle files and erode the plates at home;
    3 - Buy the PCBs;

My decision was quick: 2 years ago, I would get the option 1! Few months ago I would be with the option 2, but now, married, working like a horse, the option 3 seemed the most plausible.
    So I bought all the little PCB from the website of the famous MidiBox guru and very very nice guy, Mr. Tim Ellis aka SmashTV.

It was a good deal, I got all the PCBS and the components, which in the end, were much cheaper than in Brazil.
    Note that in the three options above, I still would have to weld all the components…..guaranteed fun ;)

I would like to thank these companies for the essential support:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Hank, Dan and George, thanks a lot!!)

Also I would like to thank Thorsten Klose and Midibox community, SmashTV, jimp, ultra, fossi.bs, SoundDuke, Doug Wellington, seppoman, wilba, stryd_one, Screaming_Rabbit and everybody from the great community.

[​IMG]

Some elements of the Duna project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Displays:
    [​IMG]

Many PCBs to weld:
    [​IMG]

Several components (you must like it!! ^^ ):
    [​IMG]

Faders, Encoders and Knobs:
    [​IMG]

ALPS's Motor Fader (60mm) with knob:
    [​IMG]

Encoders with knob:
    [​IMG]

Blue SMD 7-seg displat (tiny):
    [​IMG]

Let's assembly the Core module:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SmashTV doesn't save resources! stylized label on PIC! :thumb:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Voilá!!!
    [​IMG]

I Decided to use 2 alpha displays instead 1 dot matrix (because the layout, you will understand forward)

Note that I will use VFD instead LCD, Noritake ensures that this model is a Drop In Replacement for LCD, in other words, no changes in the app (code), only noting correct wiring.

[​IMG]

Soldering pin headers:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Making the cable:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's turn it on:
    [​IMG]

Ops....something worj!! the MIOS shows the 'Ready' when starts, but note the weird spacing between the characters:
    [​IMG]

The first thing I thought was 'Let update everything', both the bootload and the MIOS (SmashTV's PIC came with the version 1.9e, so I downloaded the 1.9f).

To update the booloader you need to burn PIC with the PIC burner:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ok, Bootloader loaded, time to put the PIC back in the Core module and update the MIOS via SysEX (to do it I uses a Midibox win32 application called MIOS Studio):

Roating my sound board with the Core module:
    [​IMG]

Ok, MIOS loaded:
    [​IMG]

Nothing, I used the MIOS LCD tool, to write the phrase 'Testing MIDIBOX' and still showing wierd spacing. Ok, It isn't a update problem, let's try another way:

[​IMG]

Reading the App Notes of the display, i noticed that it has a special init sequence:

[​IMG]

So I decided to change the MIOS's LCD driver, in a way which I could change this sequence. I used my old and good MPLABS e changed the sequence like this:

Code:
    movlw 260 ; 260 ms delay
    call MIOS_Delay

movlw 0x38 ; select 8-bit interface
    rcall MIOS_CLCD_Cmd

movlw 0x38 ; select 8-bit interface again
    rcall MIOS_CLCD_Cmd

movlw 0x02 ; brightness 50%
    rcall MIOS_CLCD_Data

movlw 0x08 ; Display Off
    rcall MIOS_CLCD_Cmd

movlw 0x01 ; Clear Display
    call MIOS_CLCD_Cmd

movlw 2 ; 2 ms delay
    call MIOS_Delay

movlw 0x0c ; Display On
    rcall MIOS_CLCD_Cmd

movlw 0x06 ; Entry Mode
    rcall MIOS_CLCD_Cmd

Compiled, uploaded the modified MIOS via MIOS Studio, and nothing, still the same problem.

In that point, I created a thread in the Midibox forums, and been attending its chat, where I 'knew' the Masters Midiboxer who helped me to solve this mistery.
    Well, summarizing the story, we discovered that the 'bridge' which I made I made to facilitate the connection between the two VFD's with the Core was causing the problem. It looks like the VFD didn't like this bridge, so, goodbye!!:

[​IMG]

Re-made the cabe without the bridge and......worked perfectly:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Uploaded a LCD benchmark from Midibox tools page, according to the thread which shows many LCD benchmarks, this VFD is very fast...good!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Time to turn on the two displays. Crimping tool really saves time (IDC connectors.....arghhh)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, the Core module is ready to 'talk' with the Logic Audio:

[​IMG]

Let's load the LC app via MIOS Studio (fingers crossed):

[​IMG]

ohhh, Hello LC protocol!!!!! :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

When you starts the Logic Audio, it automatically Recognises the Core módule as a genuine Logic Control, really really nice!
    [​IMG]

Already show the track names:
    [​IMG]

When you mark a track to record it blinks 'R' in the relative position of the track:
    [​IMG]

Track name changing, Instantly:
    [​IMG]

Any msgbox on Logic Audio, it shows on the display:
    [​IMG]

Song position, no delay:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some videos:

Panning:

Changing track name:

Song position:

What's next: DIN modules, to control 96 switches and 9 rotary encoders....:thumb:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2008
  2. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Wow, I thought I knew something about electronics. Boy was I wrong lol. I did the recording and mixing for the band I was in for about 2 years but I only did simple stuff. I would really like to see how this turns out.

3. -Nick-

-Nick- What's a Dremel?

wow nice work man, a good bit above my current electronics level.
    can't wait to see how this turns out, keep up the work

4. Minifly3

Minifly3 What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to seeing this done.. Maybe I'll attempt something like this soon.

5. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

MATE!!! :jawdrop: That's just f@#*%&G INSANE!! I gotta keep an eye on this one!

Kepp us posted! :thumb:

6. misterkholl

Thacrudd, -Nick-, Minifly3, NZ_mod_man: Thanks a lot guys for the posts! :thumb:

Assembled the four input modules (DIN) and did some tests...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Really love SIL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, one done:

[​IMG]

Same work X 4!!

[​IMG]

Connectors:

[​IMG]

Ok....'Little DIN train'...!! 96 switches + 8 rotary encoders, it you can call multiplexing!!

[​IMG]

I made a line of 8 switches and been shifting between the modules to test each funcionality:

[​IMG]

Some videos of the DIN modules working :

Selecting tracks:

Solo:

Track volume to Pan:

Next step... DOUT modules!

See ya guys!!! :thumb:

Last edited: 29 Feb 2008
  7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

WOW :jawdrop: that is an insane amount of stuff to build and stuff. im keeping an eye on this one.

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

One of my degree dissertations was "The design and Implementation of a Polyphonic Keyboard Synthesizer using Digital Integrated Circuit Technology" Graduated 1st in class. You got me beat hands down!:clap: Marvelous!!!
    John

9. misterkholl

Thanks Oreon_237!! :thumb:

jhanlon303: Very proud to read it!! thanks man!!! congrats for your graduation...i'm big fan of electronic too.....and thanks to Thorsten for the Midibox!! :thumb:

A little UP....in this video you can see the Rotary Encoder in action, Panning a track:

The last DIN module allows to connect 8 Rotary Encorders for track params (Pan, EQ, etc...) and 1 for Jogwheel.

:thumb:

Last edited: 29 Feb 2008
  10. jhanlon303

I got that degree in 1980!!! How far we have come. Digital is always tough in music. 13 notes per octave divided by 2 digital states = HUH? Synthesizer hardware was simpler in those days. ASDR, envelope generators, ring oscillators, wave form generators, etc. This is just beyond belief. Keep us posted. I love this one.
    John

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

You know what, I'd rather do digital stuff than try and build analogue amps and oscillators. Analogue stuff is a bind; it works sort of how the book says. The quiet joy of digital stuff is that it works exactly how the book says, and it (usually) doesn't have strange problems based on how you wire it up, what the power supply fluctuations are doing, EMI, and other strangeness.

Except when it does, as our correspondent found with his vacuum fluorescent displays, at the beginning of this log.

But seriously. PIC programming is something worth looking at if you've any background in electronics at all. At long last you can do basic arithmetic and drive things like 7-segment displays without a dozen DIL ICs per!

Phil

12. jhanlon303

When I interviewed with Cray Computers in 1981 they had some of Seymore Cray's hand written logic arrays. Some of the old stuff was cool. Vacuum tubes are still IMHO a more pleasant sound than digital.
    John

13. misterkholl

1980!!! very nice!!! old school like me....i started in computing back in 1983, i learned Assembler Z80 and BASIC on a Radio Shack's TRS-80 model III!! good times!! :rock:
    Nice to know that you liked the project! thanks.

Phil Rhodes: Oh yes, digital eletronics is very pleasant, specially in my case, i'm software developer (where i get my money! hehehe...audio, electronics, modding, my rec studio...etc...is pure passion), the possibility to mix progamming and electronics is fantastic.
    You know, i learned analog electronics with a good friend called Isaac Marcos, he is definitely the most intelligent guy i have seen in my life, in that time I couldn't even dream about PIC....until today, for me, he still is the great master of the analog electronic, but didn't placed their feet in PIC progamming.

When we talk about audio (both HI-FI or Pro) i have to agree with jhanlon303. In my opinion the sound of the tube based equipments is more pleasant than solid state.

14. misterkholl

Ok, back to the project...

I assembled the DOUT modules and did some tests:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice resistor network:
    [​IMG]

Ok one done, 3 left...
    [​IMG]

...but the 3rd. module (led rings and meters) needs bridges on the first two shift registers instead resistors...

[​IMG]

so...let's do it...
    [​IMG]

The 4th. module too (7-seg digits for big song position) too but on the 2nd. and 4th. shift registers:

[​IMG]

Ok, DOUT is done:

[​IMG]

I made the wiring for just one track, note that the project will have 8 tracks!

[​IMG]

In this picture you will see the mapping:

[​IMG]

I made a video with TWO cameras where you can see the v-pot (rotary encoder), led rings and meters in real action on a nice drums sequence record:

PS: Once Youtube audio is mono, you won't hear the stereo effect on panning, so you can download the full video here (about 16mb):

http://www.modtv.com.br/mr_kholl/projects/mod/duna/midibox/duna_dout.mpg

Next step: Motorized Faders :thumb:

Last edited: 6 Mar 2008
  15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

hail neighbor :)

Another champion project huh?

I never saw anything less than AWESOME from Mr Kholl, and i am sure we are presencing at least the birth of a Motm here. :)
    Best of luck for you in this new project my friend :)

Cheers mate ;)

16. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

This is as the French would say "La bonne merde"

Definitely a subscriber.

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Not sure that is a nice thing to say...

18. ROB 636

ROB 636 Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop

I like the blue diisplays.

19. misterkholl

Hi my bro Yemerich, thanks man....your projects are fantastic, feel honored to read your post!

Cabe: In my country this phrase means something really bad..:D...but no problem at all, thanks to be a subscriber, really appreciate, hope you like the project.

ROB 636: Thanks for the post. Love blue too! it's the most nicer feature of the VF displays: color filters.

This is the first design of the mixer, of course, some adjustments will be necessary until the final layout.

It's a 'ergonomic' view, the last chance that i have to use my left hand in A/V mixing :D

Note that it's only the mixer, the Duna project will have a full PC integrated.

[​IMG]
    (Click for the big size)

With this layout I can access 99% of the functions of the LC protocol. Note that some are accessed via modifiers (shift, alt, control, option).

The LC commands:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Mar 2008
  20. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

THis is just totally amazing !!! But hey id expect no less from misterKholl :) I just wish that i had 1% of your skills in electronics :) Looking forward to seeing this thing finished. Great work as always