1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's LiquiD EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Great work as always Tribal! Hehe, as you said "Wont be able to tell once they are installed", but I know the feeling being a perfectionist myself. <=)

About the TIG welding.. have you tried hard soldering, or using a product like Durafix which requires less heat than "real" alu solder, and thus lowers the risk of melting the stuff you're soldering. I've used a similar product called Alutite and it works really good. One thing to keep in mind though, is that you have to clear coat it after polishing it, or it will turn dark grey over time (because of the zinc oxidizing... I think).

@All: does anyone know of a flux that can be used together with durafix/alutite solder?? It would be very nice to not have to brush/scratch away the oxide while soldering!

[edit] Would have loved to see a TIE fighter movie.. or even better, a Spongebob comeback!! ¤_¤ ^_^ [/edit]

[edit 2] Wow!! Check out the demo videos on Durafix web page, or click here -> demo videos.. that is sooo cool, imo!! :brrr: [/edit 2]

Last edited: 27 Feb 2008
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

How about a spot welder?
    harborfreight-linkage
    I don't know how well they work for aluminum, but stainless steel...

3. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Oh wow the instant update email fails. :\ Anyway, I agree that looks just like a TIE fighter. Im a big star wars fan. :D

4. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

I'm just going to wait to get a TIG. I am going to be doing a lot of welding stuff together so I want ot be seriously setup for it. Plus I wouldnt mind taking on some tasks for other people too.

5. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Expanding your horizons, sounds good!

6. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

cool. I wish I also had the money to spare!

7. tanky_walrus

tanky_walrus What's a Dremel?

Hi all associated with this thread.

This is easily the best modding I've ever seen; the Spin FX reservoirs are just hypnotising with their beauty. Seriously mate, you have an exceptional ability that is really, truly to be admired. (I didn't just say all that for the sake of it, I really believe it)

Tribal, in the last two days I have frantically been scanning the net to find somewhere that sells your most wonderful creations. Sadly, I couldn't. Someone on the tbcs.com forums suggested that I post here if I was after purchasing some of your work. Do you still make your reservoirs, and if so, do you still make them to sell? I would happily purchase one of your great creations!

Cheers,

Will

8. tribaloverkill

I am not taking orders at the moment. After I am finished making this last reservoir I will continue making the reservoir parts for acryan. Soon after they get the parts, they will start selling them to the public. Soon you will be able to assemble your own sFX res:) When I have more equpimeent and time I will start taking custom orders again and I'm not just talking about reservoirs too. I will be making all kinds of stuff.

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

No matter how many times i look at this thead, it always amuses me.

Needless to say i looove your work!
    I always come here to get some inspiration whn i start a new work. :)

cheers mate!

10. tribaloverkill

Been awhile. My apologies. UPDATE!

Mar-09-2008

So here's where I was last,... making replacement side skirt covers because there was something wrong with the last ones. You can see the LED placement for the signs that will be made and installed later on,...
    [​IMG]

These came out pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Then I broke one! DAMN! I was adjusting the aluminum work as it was a bit crooked when it was all together and I guess I twisted the whole thing a bit to much. F@#$.
    [​IMG]

Well,... this is what it pretty much looks like all bolted together. Looks cool as hell.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here the the newest covers. these are awesome.
    [​IMG]

Using metal LED holders this time.
    [​IMG]

Notice I didnt heat up and push in the acrylic like I did the last ones. I did like that idea but what a pain it is. This way will look better overall.
    [​IMG]

LED holers on the top shield. Keep in mind that the LEDS will be facing down towards the res. The holes to help cover up ugliness where the wire tube meets the LED. I think I might go ahead and make my own though. Might.
    [​IMG]

Looks cool though.
    [​IMG]

Decided to drill another holes for each side piece. for the signs.
    [​IMG]

Using captive nuts. These are so much better then the threadserts let me tell you.
    [​IMG]

Look how nice and neat that looks.
    [​IMG]

I countersunk the hole in which this hex bolt goes through. Gives it a lower profile so it fits flush.
    [​IMG]

The acrylic fits on top with no problems. I am goign to make an small aluminum cover that will go ontop of thw acylic to cover this bolt up. It's ugly.
    [​IMG]

going to sleep, gym, then go back to the studio. Will be another update, not tomorrow but the next day. Peace out!

11. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Those LED holes in the front shield looks awesome! Maybe have black sleeved wires coming out of it to look like it "plugs" into the res. How's migrating you logs to the AC Ryan site coming?

12. tribaloverkill

It's coming slow. I was goign to use UV wires. Maybe green.

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Tribal,
    Just a quick question about where you got the captive nuts? Are they hard to use?
    John

14. Stievius

Stievius Industrial Design Student

Same question here.. I googled for them but all I found where some quite expensive nuts to mount car-spoilers o_O :dremel:

15. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Thats cool. Go with what you feel. I'll work around that.

16. tribaloverkill

I got them from www.mcmaster.com and they are easy to use! All i have to do is just bang em into a 3/16" hole:) Thats it:)

17. tribaloverkill

Just add some green highlights here and there to even out the overall look. This is why I'm doing it with the res. Gonna look hot man!

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sweet stuff! I can't wait to see everything together now.

19. tanky_walrus

tanky_walrus What's a Dremel?

Hey Tribal

Cheers for the reply mate. I can't wait to buy some of your stuff :thumb:

So do you have an estimate on time until the availability of these reservoirs?

Once again, thanks

20. tribaloverkill

That I dont know at the moment. I still have to tweak some of these parts before handing them over to acryan:)