1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk me out of going to Vista

Discussion in 'General' started by Kierax, 8 Mar 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you don't do care about XP Pro extra features over Home edition, and you don't care about the support for remote desktop, Complete PC backup feature in Vista, and advance networking feature, however would like to use your XBox 360 as a Media Center extender, or/and use Media Center and Movie Maker, and all that stuff. Home Premium is the edition you want.

If you want Media Center, Movie Maker, use your XBox 360 has a media center extender, HOWEVER you WANT XP Pro features as well, then Windows Ultimate is the right choice.

If you DO NOT care about all those extra software and Media Center, and want a plain simple Vista, HOWEVER you want advance backup features, advance network features, remote desktop, then Windows Business edition would be perfect.

If you really don't know as you never tried those Windows extra software, and you can afford Vista Ultimate. If you are like Cthippo, and really don't care about anything at all... you just need a Windows machine to run some of Windows only applications that you really must use for xyz reason, then Vista Basic is the best solution.

Also note that all editions of Visa (except Ultimate), allows you upgarde your edition of vista with another, simply by paying an extra cost. So let's say you have Home Premium, and really regret it, and want Ultimate, you can. You will pay a bit more.. but it will cheaper to buy a new copy. However I don't know how the re-installation of Windows (if needed) will work.You need to install Vista once and upgrade Vista to Vista... but I am REALLY not sure.

As for 32 and 64-bit. It is true that 32-bit has better driver support FOR NOW, but if all your devices (dont' forget your printer/webcam/scanner, etc..) has 64-bit drivers, then I say go with it. You will be able to run 64-bit applications as well as 32-bit perfect well, and you will see your system (compared to Vista 32-bit) a bit faster, and you will enjoy the full capability of your CPU and enjoy 4 or more RAM. Also it is to be noted that Windows Media Center and Windows Media player, and all other Windows software that comes with Vista is ALSO in 64-bit. (A 32-bit edition of the same software also exists, in fact they are set as default). Once you install 64-bit codec pack for Windows Media player and you run Windows Media Player 64-bit. You will enjoy a much greater performance over the codec in 32-bit with Windows Media player 32-bit.

As for software compatibility, if you use new software Vista 64-bit should not have any issues.

I hope this helps.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, but then all your searches are dog slow. If indexing stuff in the background bothers you so much that you turn it off, you're really going out of your way to slow things down just so that you can complain it's too slow.

I turn ON indexing in XP, in a sad attempt to speed things up. As it is, the indexing in XP sucks so it doesn't help a whole lot, but it's certainly an improvement over your out of the box search speeds. Unless you have dozens of search catalogs set up, the performance hit is negligible - and this isn't a problem unless you have my day job.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'd keep indexing on. It runs in low priority mode so user requests to the hard drive always take precedence.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

No, If you're like Cthippo you use linux with a seldom used dual boot to XPpro64 for gaming. :p

Just out of curiosity, what are you searching for???

I've never had much use for search regardless of how well it works. Do you misplace things on your hard drive or???

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I tend to use search to find most things simply because it's quicker to hit the Windows key and type the name than browse to whatever folder you put it in :)

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Search indexes stuff inside documents as well as properties of those, so I can easily search for a string inside a document or search for an email from a particular person two years ago.

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've found Search a great feature, one I never bothered turning indexing on for in XP. Saves having to go searching through different subfolders of My Docs if I want something I remember as having 'easter' in the title, and includes email and bookmarks in the search.

I think the point is, if you've got a fast system with oodles of RAM, let the bugger get some exercise, let Services like Indexing have their runs.

I don't like the rest of the Start Menu, the program folders don't fly open on hover like XP, though hopefully some third party will produce a better system.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
  8. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I love Vista and have been using it for quite some years now.

9. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Right I should have 64Bit Sp1 Ultimate Vista in the morning :D What will I gain over my current 32bit Sp1 ultimate, I have 4GB DDR2 800mhz and a HIS X1950 Pro 512MB I've been told more of this memory will be put to use and as such my gaming should improve.

Does anyone actually game with 64Bit Vista ?

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I'm still not getting it. I don't know why. I've got a reasonably fast PC with 4Gb RAM but Vista still seems to take a lot longer to do pretty much anything than XP. I've got indexing off. The HDD is still very active, even while I'm not even doing anything in the OS. Don't like it.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

mushky... ok let's isolate the problem...
    - Disable Windows Defender Service and startup item
    - Do a full Virus scan and Uninstall your anti-virus
    - Do a full spyware scan and Uninstall your anti-spywre program
    - Close all programs that you installed system related
    - Disable Backup PC feature (if activated)
    - Disable Auto-defrag of your deframentation program and Windows defragment.
    - Disable page-file.
    - Reboot.

See if that helps.
    Else it is not Windows Vista.... it is you that installed a software or malware.

12. tssen

tssen What's a Dremel?

I migrated to Vista64 premium about a week ago and have had a pleasant experience so far. I was a bit sceptical before but now I don't see what all the Vista-bashing is all about. If I had two rigs I would probably run Linux on one for surfing, listening to music and so on and use Vista on the other for gaming, graphics etc. But with that said I really don't have anything bad to say about Vista.

The only app that gives me problems is Call of duty 4 multiplayer, wich don't want to start. Singleplayer works fine. Other games I've tried so far is Crysis, The Witcher, Sins of a solar empire. They all work, as well as all other apps I used under XP32.

[Edit:] I can recommend this thread @ techpowerup about som basic tweaks under Vista. I found it helpful. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=24912

13. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

nah because vista is against open source by locking out key parts of the OS to everyone not paying fees. For example you will never see user made drivers for vista ultimate. Also it's very slow - garunteed reduction in speed over windows xp. Also it comes with no aplications only the os itself... which for £200 when many of its competitors are free is abit expensive.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

What do yu mean it doesn't come with any apps? Vista comes with lots of apps. Vista comes standard (at least ultimate) with video editing tools, DVD burning software, media player, text editor, mail clients and so on...

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah, the average user doesn't really need to install any extra programs. However, the stuff it comes with you can usually find better ones for free (like open office for instance).

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Well there's no free office suite on Vista included, but I guess Office 2007 is close enough (and better than Oo_O by far).

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Right, let's take this step by step.
    Firstly, Microsoft has just recently announced it's going to be releasing thousands of documents regarding products including Windows to ensure 3rd parties can create applications for it and gain more access to key system features (something security software makers have been nagging for).

Secondly, on a medium spec PC vista will run fine- there's a slight drop here and there over XP due to more background services, but Vista has excellent memory management which allows it to adapt to your system specs.

Thirdly, you've obviously been watching far too many Apple switch adverts and, even worse, believing them. Vista comes with a full complement of decent software similar to iLife- Windows Live photo gallery being my personal favourite. Add to that a pretty snazzy DVD creator, film editor, mail app, media player and media center, a host of games and a few 'feature' apps like stunning speech recognition and screenshot tools, and you've got yourself one round of humble pie to eat.

18. Core2Duo

Core2Duo What's a Dremel?

Just because u have a 64bit CPU dont mean ur gonna gain anything

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The software we use at work creates three catalogs per instance, and I've got five or six instances installed. I use Google Desktop to find anything on the machine.
    I've done both, and they're really not comparable. While Microsoft offers much better handwriting and speech recognition tools, their equivalents to the iLife suite are incredibly weak. And screenshot tools? They're nothing to brag about on principle, never mind the fact that Tiger's are better (let alone Leopards).

Don't get me wrong - both have their places. But unless you've used both - and I have - you can't make a fair or even reasonable comparison.

20. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I tried to avoid posting on this thread but that quote was enough for me...
    See I'm a graphic design student. And as such I have to say windows vista sucks.

As much as any other OS I used (not a long list, but Ubuntu, Mac OS (Tiger) and all versions of Windows). They all have their faults and features, but at the end of a day I noticed that I - a person who uses a computer very very much... Don't give a F*** about what OS I'm using.

The little screen shot app or **** like that might be better on your damn Leopard, But it does not F**** matter. As long as you can take a screenshot, and you know how to do it.

Only last year I was introduced to Macs, and it was a huge disappointment because of people like Firehed brainwashing me into thinking that it is a magical experience. I was so sad... and shocked that it was just another OS, with plenty of faults, plenty of Photoshop crashes... it was no different. A button here, a different menu there. I used Firefox, I used stock video editing tools and etc. And I accomplished things on both OS's just fine.

The reason I've been using Vista however, is that I like building my machines. I like the way Vista installed and found my drivers (oh boo hooo no sad story here). The damn thing even updates my logitech web cam drivers when new are released. I love the way I press [Start] and type in sk + enter and I skype opens in just a second. I like the fact that when I Shift + selected an item more and deleted it, I could recover the folder a week later when I realized my mistake by restoring to a "previous version." I like many more things about it, but I gotta go to college in 7mins, where I will use a Mac with almost the same workflow. Instead of "start" I'll click Alt+Enter.... And I will feel no better. Except at home I play some racing games... and some Rainbow Six once in a while... But that's no biggie for most.

The fact is that for the way OS behaves, Vista is a huge evolutionary improvement for me. And apart from Movie Maker not capturing analog video, all software and hardware I use works great for me, including my tv tuner and media center =) So your "comparison" is just your point of view that might not work other people.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008