1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD's 780G integrated graphics chipset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Mar 2008.

1. K20

K20 What's a Dremel?

Please delete, double post.

2. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Nice find as regards the entropy decode info! SB700 clearly has pcie gen2 according to that slide so not sure why techreport think it doesn't. Yet more support for the idea of providing all the slides in one place.
    Yeah and just like HT3 I would love to see what effect the clock speed has on the performance of the UVD and in particular on post processing.
    No worries :)

3. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Just spoke to a friend who is looking to build a media PC for his parents. I have recommended the 780G board as reviewed here by BIT, but what I need to know is about which add-in card would allow him to do audio over the HDMI link? As it would be better to do it this way than to have his mum turn the amp on before watching anything.

Also how would this be done? most of the HD3450's dont have a HDMI connector on them, so would it use an adaptor cable from the DVI socket?

Thanks.

4. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Andy, the 780G includes an audio controller and supports audio over the hdmi port on the motherboard. It only supports 2 channel pcm and dolby digital/dts but it sounds like that's not a problem. No need for an add in card. Hope that helps.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2008
  5. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

ok quick question to anyone with the lovely little Gigabyte board in thier hands and access to a Zalman 8700 -

will it blend fit?

6. CHiwi

CHiwi What's a Dremel?

Hey pple,

I recently picked up the ASUS board with the 780G chipset for a HTPC I'm building. I was trying to get the Gigabyte one that was reviewed here, but couldn't find anyone stocking it over here in CH. In hindsight, I should of waited till someone was stocking the Gigabyte board, because although the ASUS board has S/PDIF on board, they don't supply a S/PDIF panel with an optical and coaxial connectors. ARGH! :wallbash:

I have been searching for a while now, and can not for the life of me find a place to buy one. So if any of you lovely readers have one lying around (I'll pay you for it) or know where I can pick one up from, it would be awesome.

Cheers

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome!

No one supplies an S/PDIF PCI bracket unfortunately, and I've never found where to buy one separately either. The S/PDIF connectors onboard are often supplied because Nvidia graphics cards require S/PDIF passthrough for HDMI.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They're dead easy to make:

That's from a Biostar AM2 7050 board. Just check the motherboard manual that they're in the same order :)

9. CHiwi

CHiwi What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help guys, I might look into making one since it looks to be a lot cheaper than buying one.

However I have done a lot of googling over the last hour and found a couple of options. Both ASUS and Gigabyte do make the brackets (although I read somewhere that ASUS don't anymore because of lead content issues and I can't find it on their website). The part numbers are "SPDIF OUT/COA+OPT" and "12CR1-1SPOUT-12" for ASUS and Gigabyte respectively. The Gigabyte panel has a different pin layout, but the connector can be changed without a problem. I haven't found any online shops selling them, but you can find them on eBay.

For people looking at the current ASUS and Gigabyte options and that need digital audio out, then don't make my mistake, buy the Gigabyte board. :)

Still, if anyone has one lying around that they don't need, then let me know.

Cheers

Last edited: 10 Apr 2008
  10. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

I was enthusiast about 780G for a "living room PC", until I found out that you can't use both DVI and HDMI at the same time.:sigh:

Because I was thinking of a scenario, where you could watch a movie on TV via HDMI and at the same time another user would browse the internet on a monitor via DVI.
    Or, at least one would use the DVI output to setup everything for watching the movie and then just go watch the TV (HDMI). But if I got it right you actually have to use the BIOS to switch from DVI to HDMI. Kinda clumsy.

So I'm wondering... what are my options for using a TV and a computer monitor with 780G?

I know one is to use a monitor with VGA. But do all the monitors have a VGA input? If not, can you use a converter VGA->DVI, just to connect it?
    All this is compromise, tho, because DVI>VGA.

So I was thinking of buying a separate video card. I'd connect a DVI monitor to the card and I'd use the HDMI on board for the TV. Is this even possible? Can both on board and separate video cards be used?
    Can I disable on board video and use on board HDMI? (Probably a stupid question, but what the hell...)
    Could I at least take advantage of the 780G-ish low CPU usage when playing HD video even if I used a separate video card?

11. DougEdey

99.99% of monitors have a VGA input, it's the most basic one.

12. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I kinda expected that. But I don't like VGA.

My question remains about using the separate video card. What are my options then?
    If I cant use the separate card+onboard then I'd try to get one that has a DVI + HDMI output. But would I still benefit from 780G's low CPU consumption while playing videos?

13. DougEdey

Seperate card should be OK, but some systems have issues when you combine them (or at least older ones used to, not sure how relevant it is now though).

One thing you could do is just invest in a dual DVI + HDMI card (probably something like this for £65) and use that exclusively to do it, though admitidly it does kind of defeat the idea of using a 780G :p

14. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

that's just what i was going to say...

edit: when the post i was commenting on gets deleted on i get confused, i would clearly never agree with dougedey

Last edited: 9 Jun 2008
  15. Mr_Sinister

Mr_Sinister Not Evil, just Bad

i will admit that looks really good and am looking forward to seeing what else they can pull out of there hat

16. DougEdey

LIES ALL LIES!

17. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

What about the Asrock A780FullDisplayPort, does it support both DVI and HDMI via the 'FullDisplayPort'? Or what does that thing do anyway?

18. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

To answer my own question: NOT POSSIBLE.

I'm kinda giving up on this 780G. It seems so limited for my needs. If you need two displays it's a must for them te be one analog and one digital. No other way around.
    Plus the fact that it heats up like crazy doesn't help either.

So, what are the alternatives? Nvidia 780i?

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

heats up? It's like, 5W!?

But yea, one must be analouge - you can't run two digital no matter what they are. Intel doesn't even offer a single digital with an external TDMS. No IGP supports two digital outputs, you'll have to buy a discrete card.

20. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

I keep reading complaints about the northbridge being extremely hot on this Gigabyte and also on other 780G MBs. Gigabyte added a new heatsink in the 1.1 revision, tho, let's see how it performs.

And BTW, it's also impossible to run 2 analogue outputs, since the DVI connection is DVI-D.

Tags: Add Tags