1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Fire & Ice (Antec Plus 1080AMG, Started Dec. 2007)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Algoron, 7 Mar 2008.

1. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

(Update I added some pics to the case break down comment)

Very easy to drill out. Use a drill smaller than the rivet and drilled hole in the frame and drill from the hole side of the rivet not the flared (bigger) side. You will have a bunch of metal donuts twisted onto the bit when your done.

One thought about putting it back together. Installing a rivet makes a popping recoil when it finally pops through. I have read that using a piece of cardboard with a hole punched in it keeps the tool from bouncing off of the fresh paint messing up that new look.

PS:

The hassle was in the sharp bends not the straight runs so drill your holes to be able to rotate your work 360 degrees in that hole. That helps a lot. And always remember "Files are your friends" they tend to cut through the design with ease to clean up those sharp turns.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2008
  2. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

Completed filing, sanding and clean up:

I completed the filing and sanding and will show you some of the tools I finally settled down with for the task:

The best filing tool I found was this small file. Round on one side flat on the other about 1/2" wide. The file was part of a kit of 20 I bought from SAM's for about $20. It's on a paper towel so it's not that long around 6" long. Tool of choice for rounded edge clean up. I did use round files if I really wanted to take some metal off in combination with this.

[​IMG]

The sander was trial and error with the detailed cuts. I tried a sander with a 4" x 5" pad. The sand paper was destroyed in no time at all. The sharp edges and rounded corners were to much for this type of sanding. Then I went to the store and invested in this baby. $20 is not a bad deal for this. I can even do my toe nails with it...truly a MAN'S tool!!!! :clap:

[​IMG]

The final step was to clean up the filed edge. The edge was very rough and at different angles. I bought the Dremel :dremel: 9901 bit (Tungsten carbide cutter for use in shaping, smoothing, and material removal on hardened steel, stainless steel, cast iron, nonferrous metals, fired ceramics, plastics, hardwoods. 1/8" dia.) that's made for grinding metal much the same as using a router on wood. The blade leads itself around the edge. All I had to do was apply pressure to get the cut. I now have a right angle to the steel removing any shadow effects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Mar 2008
  3. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

These are the almost finished prepping, panels:

The top and sides are on the home stretch now. I just can't stop trying to perfectly curve the flames out.....but they are close to completion. The red chair helps in visualizing a final look.

Top (the three drill holes were MOE's "Major operator Errors" :wallbash: but they will be bondoed or hidden in time):

[​IMG]

Left:

[​IMG]

Right:

[​IMG]

The next step is building the raised vent on the top.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2008
  4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Great job on those flames :clap:

5. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

ah yes, it's an Antec Plus 1080AMG ....... same chassis as the Chieftec 601 series.....

[​IMG]

I love to see these old Antec/Chieftec cases getting modded and you are off to a great start.......:thumb:

I'll be watching this one *Subscribed*

Alan

6. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

Thanks Hazardous......I think the even harder part is going to be using lighting to create the illusion of flames.....I have to somehow use RED,Yellow,, and Orange to make them appear more like flames on the right and top.

7. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

That's the one Alan thanks for the reply :)....the case is a tank but has a lot of room even for the 8800GTX video card. I actually have two of these puppies so I have a stock of resupply if something goes South on the front lines.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like your work so far. You may have the cleanest garage in Houston. You might want to try white leds inside. The red or blue leds will wash out the candy effect of the paint.

It's easy. Just drill the heads off with a 1/8" bit, then tap the rest out with a small nail.

EDIT: OOPS! I missed a page.:D
    As for the pop riveter recoil, I just pull on the riveter so when it pops it's pulled away form the surface.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2008
  9. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

Thanks for the advice on the lighting. I have a bunch of hit and miss parts because of the unknowns. The paint may not be visible on the top and right side of the case so the lighting may work perfect there. I'm still working out the details on that. I'll look you up when I come down to that parts and my ideas on the final answer. My CPU has a fan with blue lighting so I won't have to drop some change to see how the lighting effects the paint..the blue is part of the ice along with ideas using blue plexiglass...again that helped. Hey everyone looking throw things on the table...this is group therapy!!! :cooldude: I was looking for a 120mm blue fan for the turbine that's still in a concept phase...but will look something like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got this idea from another build.....glue the cap from an RC plane onto the fan, bondo, and paint it ...um...chrome? What say ye? :idea:
    Bad pic just took it...will retake later when I get to that part of the mod......the RC plan cap was bought at a local hobby shop

Last edited: 11 Mar 2008
  10. rodeo45

rodeo45 Who's your daddy ???

nice flames... good job on cutting them..

11. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

Thanks Rodeo45. I think that's the hardest part of the mod...well so far....the front panel will take some time also with Bondo et all. I think I'm building a plexi enclosure for the power supply....."ALL THESE THOUGHT IN MY HEAD ARE BURNING!!!" :D

12. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

Installing the blow hole:

:idea:

The next part of the project is building a blow hole for the case (top). I have already drilled a 4 1/4" hole in the top for this. This is a dry run for drilling etc. before I go into the painting. These are some of the items I'll be using for the install:

The billet cover (for a Harley) purchased from E-Bay. The cover is 7 1/4" diameter:

Front (flame on :cooldude:):

[​IMG]

Back -The cover dips about 1'4" about 1" from the edge. This will support the grill at the top (I hope):

[​IMG]

The grill (Honeycomb). This will be painted:

[​IMG]

The trim for the sharp edges of the grill:

[​IMG]

So the idea will be to cut a 3" strip of grill and make a circle that's tucked under the cover. This will raise the cover, let some air in, and light out. The fan bolts will have to be fused to the inside of the case so that they don't show. Stainless bolts will run through the holes on the cover into the case top.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2008
  13. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

This is a conceptual image of what it (may :nono:) will look like (forget the colors I couldn't even get them close to the real deal :wallbash::

ISO View :cooldude::

[​IMG]

Front view :cooldude::

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Mar 2008
  14. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

Update:

TAX TIME :eeek:!!!!!! Doing taxes this weekend just to make sure I don't put the sqeeze play on myself so no moving ahead on the build this weekend :duh:. I did change my idea on the blow hole. I ordered some 1/8" plexiglas rod to use instead of the stainless bolts. I'm planning on using the rods to hold the Billet plate down and lighting them up from the inside of the case. So the fan will give me blue light through the grill and additional red light throught the plexiglass rods. Sounds like a plan. I also bit the bullet and bought a Bager GAR-360-7 airbrush :) so that's something to re-think about. Now I understand why people have long posts and are endlessly working...!! :D

15. dia2777

dia2777 What's a Dremel?

nice cuts on that flames,keep working

16. Algoron

Algoron Fire & Ice

:hip:
    Thanks Dia2777....I'll post the finished product with pics in the end...

Last edited: 4 Apr 2008
Tags: