1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocking a GTX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mega me, 10 Mar 2008.

1. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone,

I've had my Evga 8800 gtx for a little over a month now and I've been very happy with it's performance
    however after I overclocked my q6600 I found that the performance was so greatly increased so I wanted to do the same
    with my GPU however, I do not know a thing about overclocking graphics cards.

so I turn to you to you for help:
    I've heard that you use different programs to overclock them such as "rivatuner"?(please correct if i'm wrong)
    Also a advice on how to stress test it afterwards would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

use Rivatuner to overclock.

and then use ATI Tool to test, you can also run 3dmark in endless loops to test stibility.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Rivatuner is a third party program specifically designed to OC nVidia cards, and gives you much better control than the nVidia drivers, including brilliant fan control. The only thing it's missing is a stress-tester like ATi-Tool.

There are lots of functions in it which aren't very useful for your average overclocker though, so don't change anything when you don't know for sure what it does.

4. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

As above really, Rivatuner for overclocking (though the interface isn't the greatest for new users) and ATi-Tool for stress testing.

I've had a reasonable amount of experience overclocking the G80s and I was thinking of maybe writing an overclocking guide for them next week sometime if anybody thinks it'd be useful? I'd include advice for volt modding as well, and try and make it a little easier for the electronics novices (like me :D) to understand. It seems like most guides I could find assume a certain amount of technical know-how by default and I think a guide that caters for novices and enthusiasts alike could be good for bit-tech users with G80s.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That sounds good to me - I'm sure you can give me a few tips too, as I haven't really stretched this G92 very far.

6. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Whiskey, I'd like to see that guide, especially after browsing the 3dmark06 thread and the awesome OC's in there with GTXs

7. wyx087

such guide would be superb! i want to know how to get pass 15k with my setup.

although im not sure about vmod, as most user might not be planning on water cooling

8. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

:thumb: WhiskeyAlpha, go for it ;)

Personally since discovering that rivia tunner now supports even vista 64bit, to get the program to clock the card on boot, instead of having to change any of the bios firmware for the card.

However if I understand correctly with changing the bios it is possible to adjust the voltages, without any physical Vmod's ?

10. WhiskeyAlpha

I understand that many people like to flash the card to the best stable clocks as it's a kind of "set and forget" method that means you don't have to play with it anymore. nibitor has come on leaps and bounds and it's a fantastic little utility that makes it all fairly painless. However, Rivatuner makes it simple to not only overclock your card but also to have those settings load on boot.

It's particularly useful if your card becomes unstable at some point in the future, as a new flash isn't necessary - you can just make the necessary adjustments in rivatuner. Whilst it's very rare, let's not forget what happens with a bad BIOS write. It's something I wouldn't recommend for 99% people to be honest.

Glad to hear there's interest in the guide; looks like I'll have to get busy :)

11. WhiskeyAlpha

You can adjust the voltage value shown in the card's BIOS but it simply changes a data field, not an actual physical setting and it will have no affect on actual voltages. Bit like if you changed your date of birth on your medical records to 10/03/1908 it would give the impression that you were 100 years old. Of course it wouldn't mean you suddenly were. :D

ATi cards can have their voltages adjusted via BIOS settings and I beleive ATi actually integrated some sort of voltage control in their CCC at some point but I don't have a great deal of experience with overclocking ATi cards (ATi boys, feel free to slap me if I'm wrong).

12. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Ahh, I had yet to adjust any of the bios, net alone the voltages.
    Thanks for the clarification :D

13. wyx087

by the way, i've got a guide on OCn about how to adjust the auto fan profile, you can copy and paste it to your guide if you like

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I use ATItool to OC my GTS512. Good soft, riva is ok too

15. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

thanks everyone for replys,
    and btw Whiskey that guide sounds like a brilliant idea that a lot of people would
    benifit from and appreciate

Tags: