1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Dual/Quad?... Fold!

Discussion in 'Software' started by identikit, 1 Aug 2007.

1. identikit

identikit Minimodder

With the lower priced Intel CPUs and everybody talking about Q6600s where's the distributed computing love?!

A Q6600 should be able to crank out almost 10,000 ppw! (based on a dual quad doing 20,000 ppw) So how come Bit-tech folding team is ranked 224 with 20,000 ppw between 19 active members? My dual Xeon components are on their way, so I should be able to double production of the entire team soon, but where's everybody else?! Come on, let's fold!

(Can a mod please change the thread tag to 'distributed', it's not one of the options in the list, thanks)

(I see Jamie's back after a short break, welcome back, better start getting a bigger lead ;) )

2. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

I must admit i've not thought about it since getting a dual core cpu but i'm going to now. I did try it once, when i got my old x1950pro which was reported to be able to fold but it did nothing but crash on me so i gave up.
    So what's the difference between folding on a cpu or a gpu? Is my curren x1950xt compatible? If so will it be worth using that or is folding with a cpu the better option?

I'm not really clued up with all this folding lark so any help would be appreciated.

3. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

once i get this cpu 100% stable ill try again:D

4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I'm not sure with the GPU folding, but if you x1950xt can fold it's best to fold on one CPU core and then on your GPU too. http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html.

IMHO it's probably best to fold with the SMP CPU client and not worry about the GPU client. True the GPU will produce more points, but it's only worth it on multi-GPU, multi-CPU (upwards of 4 cores) machines.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2007
  5. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

yea, i couldn't work out the gpu folding before, this time i will just stick with the smp client

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Keep in mind I fold on a 4200+ x2 (2.2Ghz stock) and I get ~250ppd from 1 core (should increase as I just added the second core). A stock 5000+ x2 should get around 600ppd (2 cores) or even 800ppd on the SMP client (YMMV).

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

[​IMG]
    Look at what I folded.

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Well according to the team summary @ Extreme Overclocking we don't even have 20 people folding! 17 active members, out of a forum of 32,661. We could be one of the top 10 teams in the world!

If the case is nobody wants to fold or simply hates it, I'll shut up. But it's such a good cause and I think it can really bring a community together. Thoughts?

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Well ive just joined. Gonna get it setup for both cores as the machine is downloading all day long and so v.little cpu is being used.

10. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Some people fold for other teams :eek:

11. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

ooo i'm so joining the bit-tech team!

12. aurora

aurora JAVA GURU !!!

I'm sorry.. I dont get it.. what is that folding about???

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Calculating ways proteins fold in the cell when being produced. Proteins are really the most important type of chemical in the body so understanding how they're produced can cure a lot of diseases and make life a lot better.

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

you download info from a server, your pc processes it, sends it back. bit more complicated, but thats about it.

15. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I'm folding on two computers currently... although admittedly it's not on Bit-tech's team. That may change soon. ;)

16. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

well, i have the sneaking that F@H caused a bsod i just had. If it breaks my comp, im gonna get pissed...

Tags: