1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac apps on an external drive

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mcg1sean, 13 Mar 2008.

1. mcg1sean

mcg1sean What's a Dremel?

Alrighty, so I want to run some applications on my Macbook pro here (Running Leopard) on my external 500GB Firewire hard drive because my internal drive has gotten rather cluttered. Ive done it before with windows, but have no idea how to do it with Mac OS X. So could someone please explain to me how to do it?:thumb:

2. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

If it's a normal, happy mac app that you just drag into the apps folder, then you can just drag it to any folder on your external drive instead. If its a program that has an installer, then you need to point that installer towards your external drive when it asks "what volume to install on?"

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Simple as Dizman said. Note that some apps really don't like being anywhere other than /Applications, though. Most apps from Apple, MS, and Adobe come to mind.

4. mcg1sean

mcg1sean What's a Dremel?

Yeah the one that Im looking to put on my external drive is final cut... :blah:

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

That's a bit daft though. It's one application that requires a lot computing power, sticking it on an external drive would surely slow it down a fair bit?

Surely you can move some documents or something less important onto the external? N.b. if you're short for app space, get rid of garage band. That takes up loads of room.

6. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

When it's an app that takes up 1/3 of your hard drive, it does kind of make sense though. From what I've read briefly (use the google, yada yada), you can install the app itself (only 4 gigs) on the internal drive and all the other bits on an external.