1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Japan to boot P2P users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Are there any legitimate users of P2P these days ?

Everything I read regarding P2P is about 'sharing' stolen music, videos, games, or for that matter... anything digital.
    For actual downloads of necessary files I use a service like fileplanet which isnt P2P.

Perhaps its time to shut down all P2P services. Who even needs them ? Other than the thieves of course!

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Blizzard uses their own bittorrent client to distribute updates for WoW.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Pointless, TBH

Nothing is going to overcome the collective desire and ability of those who pirate, and it creates a new market for those who don't sign on the the accord. What i wonder is why the ISPs got onboard with this. Certainly booting their own paying customers is not in their best interests.

Piracy is the hydra of the modern era, but but unlike the one Hercules fought, cauterizing the stumps will not keep it from growing new heads. The only solution is new business models which realize that anything which can be pirated will, and therefore find new revenue streams .

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

no more, no less.

but i would like to see the effects of this... really i would, it would be more interesting if every P2P network closed during a period of time to see what would happen....

7. DrFreeze

DrFreeze What's a Dremel?

1. you cant just shut down all P2P services, it's not like there is a central p2p server in a basement which's plug you can pull, block protocol A in all the ISP routers, and within weeks a protocol B will have taken over, this time less obvious and less filterable then the last, untill the only way to distinguish between p2p and other traffic will be to monitor the entire datastream, and with advanced network/encryption techniques, even that may become impossible. And even if filesharing over the internet were to be cut downby 99%, people will start burning DVDs, using external hdds, to start a new sort of underground distribution network. Pandora's box has been opened, it can't be closed anymore.

2. besides my weekly fansubs, i always use bittorrent when downloading a new ubuntu ISO, in the hope that i might contribute even just a few megabits of my own bandwidth to the distribution of linux. Last time i checked, linux isnt illegal...

8. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

Surley money is behind this... How much traffic on an ISP's network is P2P - stop it and they dont have to pay to provide so much bandwith. Piracy is just an excuse. If people wont pay for software stopping P2P isn't going to make them start.

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the only positive impact I see this having is the open-source community exploding at the seams as more and more free alternatives are written for the more expensive widely shared applications.

and since P2P will be the primary medium for that exchange, the ISPs still lose...... :hehe:

10. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

I know a few people who use P2P and the only thing they do is Pirate, Pirate, Pirate.

Shutting down P2P will hurt the ISP's allot on the data usage side, but then they will just use Community Wireless LAN's to pirate some more.

The sorry fact is that piracy is accepted and even respected by some! And to close it down will take some very harsh examples unfortunately.

Remember that real Piracy (the shipping kind) started legally and got out of hand and then the collective community started killing and hanging the Pirates and today you don't really hear of a pirate at sea anymore!

Harsh punishment is the only thing that will stop this, not cute adverts or wasted communication.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2008
  11. Bluephoenix

no pirates at sea?

ride a container ship off the coast of somalia and see if you walk away without being attacked or scouted by them at least once.

they still exist, but instead of dramatic tales, they prefer no one hears about them so they just take a machine gun to the entire crew

12. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

back on topic, i'm interested to see the effect of this, and see how many other countries will do something similar.

14. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

mmhh read my post and I didn't see me mention NO Pirates at sea! And the same will happen to P2P is it is treated harshly it will fall into the void and kept secret and not as pronounced as it currently is.

My apologies for the spelling of sea I can't remember the last time I spelled sea in English!

15. Bluephoenix

my mother spent years at sea on various commercial ships (office work for a shipping company) and never left without her .22 rifle

the reason I never piss her off is she is still a mean shot with that thing, and has had to use it on more than one occaision, in the atlantic, pacific, and indian oceans

TBH, piracy is more rampant now than it used to be, but with most shipping lines no longer being nationalized, and the pirates avoiding US ships on purpose (only to avoid publicity and the coast guard/navy)

go and look at the coast guard's registry of pirate incidents, you'll be quite surprized

Last edited: 18 Mar 2008
  16. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Thing is hardley any money is being lost from piracy whatever the MPAA etc tell you. The huge majority of people pirate things they would never buy and therefore its not a lost sale. This concept of lost sale to each act of piracy is absurded as some surveys show that it actually increases peoples awareness of products and they buy what they enjoy the most rather than having to guess what the quality of a product will be. Im not saying piracy is morally a good thing but its not a revenue loss like is suggested and is just a message to providers of content that they need provide it a way that the consumers who are downloading want, eg at a fair price, non drmed, higher quality, fast downloads and less restrictive formats.

17. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

LOL, sounds like South Africa!:wallbash:

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"There is no conflict. Only opportunities for profit." --Ferengi Rules of Aquisition

Piracy is a product of failed self-targetting marketing strategy. It is a market waiting to be exploited --you just need to pitch the price right.

19. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Nexxo.. That hammer of yours never fails to hit the nail.

20. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

What I wanted to say but couldn't find the words. Nice Language Nexxo.

Tags: Add Tags