1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic loves PCGA debate

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The best way to kill innovation or creativity is "design by committee"...:sigh:

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

so they didn't even apologies for being hypocrites

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

OMGMG Epic reads BIT!!!! LOLROXORS!!!one!!1!!

So basically they say "yes we know we're hypocrites, but we think it's healthy that it makes you talk about it". Riiight....

5. Jar of Almonds

Jar of Almonds What's a Dremel?

Oh Epic, you just aren't very good at keeping friends are you....

Epic fail! :p

6. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

can i get a 'B'!
    can i get an 'A'!
    can i get an 'S'!....

/cheerleader mode

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if you are reading this Epic, please register into the forums and enter a healthy conversation with the community, AKA, your paying customers....

8. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Hmm. Don't really know what to make of this.

Still doesn't explain why they're part of the alliance after basically saying "down with pc gaming" and "long live the cash cow consoles". As a company they have the right to follow the best course of action to make the business flourish and improve profits. After all, the stakeholders won't be dissapointed that way.

What I find odd though is the ease with which they've "laid the smackdown" on the pc gaming community which, lets not forget, they would never exist today without.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

nicely put. QFT.

10. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

I still call hoax on the PC gaming market being in paralysis. At least, I will until I see the figures Steam has been shooting out. :)

11. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Great pr0n name - Randy Stude :rolleyes:

12. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

I used to adore Epic, UT was the bees knees. UT2003 and UT2004 weren't *bad* and were definitely enjoyable. The Assault mode in both UT and UT2004 was and is godlike to this day.

But UT3 is horrific; I wasn't going to buy it except the low price of the collectors tempted me. I wish I saved the cash. While Gears of War is undoubtedly a success, I found some parts just plain irritating and stupid. Little creatures that close in close and explode if you kill them? Ye nice idea that... The final boss is a joke as well.

The comments from Epic are certainly reminiscent of other companies that dismissed their fanbase. Like EA used to. Oh well, looks like I'll be adding Epic to the list of devs to not buy games from unless the game gets universal glowing reviews. Gone are the days where just having the Epic brand name on the game was enough for a purchase :(

13. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't think PC gaming is dead, but from Epic's point of view it may be a little slow. I bought UT3, played it for a week then gave up on it. Same story with UT2003, ended up feeling *meh*. I guess what is passable on a console, with joypad controls and TV graphics, just doesn't cut it on the PC.

Treating a PC gamer the same as a console gamer is a mistake imo. Epic should play games like the Orange Box and Deus Ex and take notes if they're serious about making PC games.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"Treating a PC gamer the same as a console gamer is a mistake imo. Epic should play games like the Orange Box and Deus Ex and take notes if they're serious about making PC games."

Epic clearly stated they're not serious about PC games OR gamers for that matter.

Boycott Epic in every shape and form.

15. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

E.P.I.C - hum, Evil Parasites Intent on Corruption? Perhaps their aim is to merely infiltrate the group so that they can undermine it.

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I've been thinking about the things said about PC gaming and piracy recently. Do people like Epic really think that people who own a console are magically prevented from playing pirate copies of games?

What the guesstimates taken from monitoring torrent sites don't show is how many people own a chipped console and are making copies of their mates disks.

I don't think PC gaming is dead, I just think developers are doing a 'Hollywood' and not relying on their imaginations when creating games these days.

17. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

It's a sad time for PC gamers.

I still can't help but be tempted by the Epic pack on Steam though. $54 for all the Unreal games. That is just crazy.

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Think of Epic's place on the alliance as an exit interview.

Epic has been a part of PC gaming for a very long time. It seems reasonable for them to be part of the PCGA if for no other reason than to share their views on why PC gaming is not a viable market. I'm sure they would rather it be otherwise.

19. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Epic Pinball :D:D:D:D:D

20. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

tsk, tsk, typical case of getting too big for their boots...

If you look at other industries throughout history,there are countless cases of firms growing to a point where their own arrogance, ignorance, idleness and complacency gets the better of them and they sink; Epic are showing signs.

Normally, the innovators and true pioneers who ultimately reap the greatest rewards are outnumbered by several multiples; there are far more mediocre players than REAL players; yes, Epic are in the latter group, IMHO.

We need do nothing but talk with out wallets, and the combination of this with the efforts of other players in the gaming industry in general will deal Epic their "just-deserts", if you will. No worries there.

Fine, Epic, off you go. GO and serve the market segment you "think" serves you best; the gap you leave, which isn't that big, let's be honest, will be filled in no time by a firm or firms who DO have what it takes to serve the lead users of the gaming industry as a whole.

This leads me on to the FUNDAMENTAL POINT; PC GAMERS ARE NOT THE SAME AS CONSOLE GAMERS. They are an entirely distinct segment that cannot be ignored by anyone who can actually think logically. It's all one big family and console gamers serve their purpose as do PC gamers.

Anyone who tries to argue that PC gaming will "die" is just displaying their knee-jerk reaction and general ignorance to the facts that it's a long established segment, plays a crucial role in driving the hardware industry, doesn't share fundamentally desired attributes to console gaming, and simply won't go away.

Epic are simply saying that they can't be bothered to or simply aren't able to meet the challenges posed by the PC gaming market, for whatever reasons.

For them to pipe up and state that they know the score and it's going down is irresponsible, arrogant and downright stupid.

Absolutely, it currently faces some serious challenges, namely the huge gap between performance levels at the top and bottom end of hardware, and the piracy to name a couple of obvious issues, but these are challenges that the right player such as VALVE are dealing with in a superb way.

To be honest, I don't know why Epic have such a rep. They have hardly pioneered anything outstanding; UT was always second best to Quake as pure hardcore multiplayer fragging goes, and their only other claim is their enginesl; whoopie!

Let's just support players like Valve and Crytek for their vision, skill, talent and balls!

I think Epic may have forgotten WHY they entered the arena in the first place; losers.

Tags: Add Tags