1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

teacher assaulted because of a mobile phone

Discussion in 'Serious' started by DXR_13KE, 21 Mar 2008.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

basically, the mobile phone was ringing and the student answered it in the middle of the class, the teacher comes and takes it away, the student then tries to retrieve the mobile phone screaming "GIVE ME MY MOBILE!!!!" while the rest of the students were laughing and chanting and preventing other students from helping the teacher out.....

now this all exploded on the news and they want to make laws banning mobile phones from schools.....

what do you think of this?

Last edited: 23 Mar 2008
  2. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

completly nuts.....
    but at my school that's never happened, so i don't think perma-banning phones will help somthing thats rarely going to happen, we cant use our phones inside of school anyway for fear of it getting confiscated, so would be a pretty pointless law....unless you get searched whilst on the school grounds :D

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

as far as I'm concerned, a teacher he every right to (and should) take away the cell phone for the rest of class/the day if it goes off during school hours. As the student had the nerve to answer the thing, he should be punished as well. At businesses, it's ettiquette to have it on vibrate and leave it alone unless its a business call or won't distract others. At school, same thing really- except there's no excuse to pick up since it would never be a business call.

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

our school has a policy that if they hear or see a phone they have the right to take it unless it is an emergency. but most teachers don't care and just tell you to put it away. only the administration enforces the rule.

5. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

We had this rule in high school, and it's really just a dick move to answer your cell phone in the middle of class, I completely agree it should've been confiscated on those grounds. But banning phones doesn't work, they said no use of phones in the building at all times, even after the school day is over. And I never followed that rule, nor does anyone else. texting in class is pretty profound, but if you do get caught, it's confiscated. That's my two cents.

6. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Touch my stuff, loose your fingers. She could have asked her to turn it off/put it on silent.

7. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

Title is a bit misleading, brutalised? Lol

8. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Well, I would say if the rule at that school was "If a cellular device goes off inside the school grounds, then any teacher/administrator has a right to take it", then that teacher had the right to take it.
    Other wise, b*tch isn't getting anything the teacher had no right to take it.
    Now in our school, the policy is, if they hear or see it, they can confiscate it until the end of the school day. We are allowed to have in in our lunch room / for emergencies. Also, there is a "I want to be the kid's friends teacher" and they let their kids use it, and that is the type of teacher that usually does not get any respect from his/her students.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I saw worse in my primary school tbh. Title is misleading and both parties have a valid point. The teacher should have handed it back, left the room, got support and phoned parents etc.

10. Firehed

So... now that I'm back from lunch and can actually watch the video - who was filming this nonsense?

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

a student

could someone give me a better idea for a title?

and yes, the rules are that if the phone rings the teacher tells to stop it, you repeat then she confiscates it, what happened is that the student fought back.... and yes, education in Portugal is going into the ground, students no longer respect the teachers and talk and play in the middle of the classroom..... the laws prevent the teacher from doing anything to prevent it.....:grr:

edit: this video is in the 9th grade, meaning that from the time you enter school to here 9 years pass, these kids are about 15 year old.......

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If it were role reversal and the teacher behaved like that when a pupil stole something it would be assault.

This way however, it's not, nice double standards

13. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Improper cell phone use in school? or something to that effect?

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

the teacher here take your cell and give it back to after class or after school

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

First of all, talking in a phone in class is just rude. Not only does it distract the teacher, but it also distract other students.

Sure, many people forget to put the phone in silent mode, so a ringing phone could be understood, but if you actually answer it, the teacher should have full right to confiscate the phone, or kick the student out of the room.

If you can't follow the rules in a group/society, you have no right to be there. It's quite simple, really.

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I feel it's uncouth to the talk on a cellphone in class. Or in a restaurant. It's along the same lines of taking an infant into a movie theater and not leaving when it cries. It's just...wrong. Have a little common respect, let alone be a little responsible. Maybe just a bit. A teeny bit.

Aw, you kids these days! :)

17. Firehed

No. Letting your phone ring because you didn't put in silent mode before class is rude. Talking on the damn thing is completely unacceptable. The only plausible exception being if you're placing a call to emergency services (911, 999, etc). Teachers should have every right to confiscate for the rest of the period/day a phone that was ringing in class (and I've seen it done plenty of times). Taking the call should get you detention. Seriously... there's no excuse.

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Aren't you the tough guy? That kind of sense of entitlement is what leads to situations like this. Why even have it on vibrate? Students should be going to school to learn, and vibrating phones just add one more distraction to an already scattered teenage mind.

Does the school have any kind of student handbook? I ask because here in the US, pretty much every school has a code of conduct that students are expected to follow. Every year, we were given the rules on the first day of class, and we had to sign a paper stating that we had read and that we understood the rules. The rules have always covered things like Walkmans and CD players. Nowadays, they cover the use of cell phones during class.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that as soon the situation started to escalate, the teacher should have gone straight to the principal/headmaster. Fighting with the student like that just makes her look a bit childish. Not to mention the liability she puts on herself and the school should something happen to the student during the struggle. If the point of confiscating the phone was to minimize distraction, it failed.

-monkey

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what?:blah:

20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Has the pupil been prosecuted for Assualt?