1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows username question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leakyfaucet, 24 Mar 2008.

1. leakyfaucet

leakyfaucet Hey! I own a dremel!

My girlfriend recently bought a laptop with Windows XP. When the system goes into hibernate, you have to login with the username and password, which is the way we want it set up. However, the username is the old owner's actual name.

Also, when you go to task manager, the processes will also be under the old owner's name.

Do you guys know of any way to change the username in windows XP? Thanks a bunch!!

2. Jik

Jik A Dremel, what is it?

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Users > Then modify the profile name pic etc.

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

If you Google it, there's a way to do so through editing the registry. Dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, but it works.

4. leakyfaucet

leakyfaucet Hey! I own a dremel!

Yeah, I already did that. When you first start the computer, it shows her name and selected picture and asks for a password, but when you come out of standby it shows a basic screen with the standard login popup window that just says

username:

and

password:

At this screen, you have to type in the original owner's name and use my girlfriend's new password. This is something different than a normal user account.
    I'll see if I can find anything out about that, thanks.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Another way, is backup all you have under MyDocuments, My Picture, MyVideos, Application Data, etc...
    Create an a new Administrator account with the proper name, log-in to it, transfer all your files, MAKE SURE that every program works correctly and that all the files are there, and delete the previous account.

6. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

create a new user account.

Try..

START ---> RUN ---> "control userpasswords2"

that allows you to set the default login user.

after reboot, just delete the whoever in user account.. once you got all data transferred over of course.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2008