1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i set up a Proxy on Windows?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by vaderag, 27 Mar 2008.

1. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

How do I set up a Windows machine to act as my own private proxy server?
    My computer at home is always on and I want to set it up as a proxy so that I can access certain sites at work, as well as use msn etc without having them watching over me...

How do i set one up?

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Without losing your job? You don't :D There are reasons that companies set up proxys/firewalls.

3. vaderag

Yeah, probably, however that doesnt mean i dont want to have an MSN chat without big brother watching!

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

You do know that it will have to go through their proxy anyway, right?

5. vaderag

Well, i had a proxy server in my firefox settings earlier (that i got off one of these lists), and while slow, i could access other sites etc.
    I figure, if i set up my own proxy, it'll be more reliable and therefore work?!

6. mcg1sean

mcg1sean What's a Dremel?

XAMPP (apache, MySQL, PHP) + PHProxy :D (dont forget to open the necessary ports!!! the HTTP port is 80) and also putting it in a "misleading" directory and password locking it can help too :p

7. kno3

kno3 What's a Dremel?

Good solid advice, linux is your best bet, if you are of that breed. Also look into tunneling, you may have to use that to get MSN working through it, im not clear of how MSN works, not my field. Also, you could look into weather you can get the address of the unfiltered proxy in your company. Making friends with the techies is the best way, because those logs can be revealing whichever angle you choose!

8. vaderag

Thanks for the help guys - i've decided that i really don't need to bother tho - LogMeIn gets me through to my computer at home and can just do things that way... Not as quick and ideal, but sounds like it's a bit of a hassle to get everything running on a non linux machine!

9. kno3

kno3 What's a Dremel?

Kewl, yeh, setting up a good functional proxy that is easy to customise is very difficult on windows, for some reason.

Tags: