1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics MM5314N clock chip help w/display change

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dwt98, 31 Mar 2008.

1. dwt98

dwt98 I own a Dremel :-)

Hello,

I have stumbled across an old clock kit that uses an MM5314N chip and 7 seg LED displays. It is a six digit kit.

I have assembled several nixie kits from four different makers selling on ebay. I enjoy building/assemblying but I cut my EE studies short in the mid '70's and therefore do not design. I know enough to ask questions and to not experiment unless I have lots of spare parts and dollars...unfortunately, not much of either lately.

I have acquired some IV-16 numitron tubes and would like to use them in the above kit instead of the 7 seg displays.

Can I substitute the numitron tubes in place of the LED displays?

If it will help, the clock uses six 2N2907's and seven 2N3904 transistors. The 7 seg displays have part number TBA5611H on them but I cannot find any spec sheets. The clock muxes the displays and there are no other parts in the kit other than resistors and p/s diodes and three caps.

I have assembled the clock and it works great. I just prefer the numitron over the red LEDs.

I'm glad I found this forum, I just need more time to read.

Can someone please advise for the display substitution?

Thank you,
    DWT98 Tennessee USA

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Welcome to the forums, DWT98. :thumb:

Can't help with the numitron needs, but I assume your existing circuit is a bit like this.

3. dwt98

:)

Thank you cpemma!!

This is a good start and this schematic is "very" similar to the kit I have and it appears to be better.

The kit I have only has 13 total resistors and the schematic above has over 20...makes me go hmmmmmm...

I hope someone can provide info to swap the displays. I think the numitrons are rather unique and antique almost.

The IV-16 is a very small numitron tube...

I'm going to keep looking but I don't want to experiment and chance ruining the MM5314N.

I will post a picture of the schematic if the forum allows it...

Thanks, DWT

4. dwt98

The kit has 18 resistors, not 13...that 3 was an 8 ...derr...

Very, very similar kits. Still would like info on substituting numitrons in place of the LEDS...

Any Help out there?

Thanks...
    DWT98

5. salb203

salb203 What's a Dremel?