1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Security flaws in latest Safari

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

The more users any software has, the more attention it'll attract from the ...dark side, be it crackers, malware writers or pirates, so it's no surprise that more vulnerabilities are coming to light.

3. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

How the hell are apple allowed to get away with that? I'm not talking about the shoddy security but the forced bundling of their products. To run itunes you need quick time and safari!?!? Quick time i kinda of understand as it loads their special codecs which no one else uses but safari!? Does the itunes store now require a special browser?

4. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

As far as I'm aware, neither needs the other (I don't use them, so I'm not too bothered), it's just Jobs trying to expand his market share.

5. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

it's not necessarily forced...I've been getting the stupid request to download it as well but have refused to being that I hacked my ipod and no longer need any of it. but regardless, it's not forced; people are either too trusting or too stupid to notice something new on their list of itunes/quicktime updates and end up downloading it anyways. I'd know, my mom's a great example of which...:rolleyes:

6. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Apple = Scum.
    iTunes = Rubbish
    Safari = Nightmare

Apple/MS = different name same **** only packages differently (in Apple's case at 3x the cost but in a fancy box).

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Itunes is not rubbish, it however IS rubbish when run in Windows, run it on MacOS and its really a great bit of software.

Shame about the problems with Safari but I use FireFox no matter the OS really anyway so its not so much of an issue for me :)

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Foobar Cheesecake!
    I used iTunes for a few years but after a while the constant nagging got annoying. The only thing is now I have to have QT for audiosurf :(

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

It really pisses me off that apple are taking advantage of n00b users and foisting their pishy browser on them.
    Should be stopped IMO.
    Bring an anti-trust lawsuit on them someone please. :)

10. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I want to see some sort of class action lawsuit against Apple for overcharging and misleading customers. Charging for firmware updates - two seperate incidents on iPod Touch so far for two successive firmware updates that are/were completely free for iPhone owners - is just totally inexcusable considering the over-inflated prices charged to meet their rediculous "30-40% profit or no release" business model! Bundling software/bloatware on installation isn't anything new, but "bundling" on updates is relatively new and underhanded! Something like "if you like *product A* you might like *product B* would you like to install? Yes/No" is acceptable; opt-out installation to increase market share is not acceptable!

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Safari is fine on the Apple laptops we have at my school, but is awful when I tried it on Windows... Glad I didn't stick with it.

iTunes is complete garbage, on any platform. I can't add album art to most of my music, and can't add many albums because the names are too long. Why would Apple release such a terrible program to accompany such a great piece of hardware? (iPod Nano 2nd Gen)

12. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Its very gay what there doing but at the same time there shooting themselves in the foot. No one cared about safari last year... now that more people use it more people care which means apple's "hardcore" (can that be in the same sentence?) users that knew no one cared about apples browser will be getting attacked because its a bigger market. To me that was apples only appeal, no one cared so who was gonna attack me?

13. koola

koola Minimodder

Works fine on my iMac. Been working great with my iPod, iphone, aTV and audio/video files.

As for the safari issue, I use Camino so no issues there :D

Tags: Add Tags