1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TorrentSpy shuts its doors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

sorry to see it happen. mainly becuase I hate the riaa/mipaa etc.

3. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Good, piracy is bad, what is sad are people like the guy above that think it is OK.

4. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

piracy is bad but so is how the MPAA/RIAA are supposedly defending their clients rights - or more accurately keeping a bunch of lawyers in Limo's.
    I support torrents in one way as they are changing the attitudes of the big ripoff merchants like the big 4 record labels and hopefully will kill DRM, or at least abusive DRM like Sony's rootkit or closing down peoples fair use rights.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

I won't lie: I use illеgal software and there is no illigal software that I use, that I'll purshse if I can't get it for free. There are plenty of freeware on the net and I'm just too lazy to search for it.

Piracy is bad? Maybe, but not for me. I buy the software/movies/music I like and I think It worth the money and in fact I prefer to us legal software when I can, but I use many piaces of code I can't get where I live or cost a fortune (Vista Home Premium cost half a month sаlary here).

They won't stop piracy that way.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Um.. why on earth would torrent sites be keeping logs of downloaded files in the first place?

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

sure it's not an april fools?

8. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

Most webservers keep logs Firehed, be it basic access logs like the one used in Apache, or something more complex like statistical databases that log IP's and pages visited over long periods of time.

I for one am glad to see TorrentSpy go. There are plenty of other torrent sites out there, that are far better, and aren't riddled with javascript popups huge banner ads and other intrusive ads everywhere.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Well, it is after lunchtime

Good for them though, not bowing in to pressure. Even if you think what they do is wrong, you have to admire their effort/commitment to their "customers"

10. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

sigh..another one bites the dust ... yet another reason to familiarize yourself with the trusty RIAA Radar ...screw the RIAA and their tactics :( .. vote with your wallet, folks

11. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

12. tech3312

tech3312 Where's my dremel o.0

in my opinion what's the point of them closing it down there just wasting millions of dollars closing one server down and more server is still on that are similar to torrentspy, and lastly a new server can just open up and be similar to torrentspy they should invest those money in police, and school cause lately police are not getting the respect they need and it pisses me off...

13. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Piracy is bad, but these people are being greedy. Most of the people I know only pirate things they plan on buying to try it out, the only exception was adobe products but now there are alot of free alternatives so in my circles piracy is down alot. I really have a great amount of respect for these guys at torrentspy, they had the courage to stand up for there word, and there users.Looks like to theses guys a privacy policy actually means something. I wish alot more people had the stuff to do things like that, it would be a better world for sure.
    Major corporations cost most of the piracy dollars. There is a hospital system around here which I know 50% of there windows licenses and other software is pirated.... how is johnny Q downloading word to do homework hurting anyone?

14. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Yup I agree 1ad7, I've seen and met people who just download to download, and they are a scurge of the internet, in my view.

15. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

damn, i used torrentspy for my albums... had to get serj tankian's album off another site today :(

16. diasam

diasam What's a Dremel?

EDIT: Never mind.

17. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Courageous? Falling on their sword? Yeah right... They know their number is up. Good or bad, they just are trying to make sure they don't loose any more money. They have already caught the attention of the MPAA and presumably had to spend $$ in lawyers fees for this particular case.

<Disclaimer> I don't agree with MPAA/RIAA tactics, all they are doing is filling a lot of lawyers pockets with money. </Disclaimer>

18. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

not an april fools. first news about this came out yesterday.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

But they are also stopping the MPAA getting their filthy mitts on any server logs before they get seized.

20. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

I really liked the site and found it really good. The search engine was particularly good and that was what made the difference for me. I l liked other sites such as The Pirate Bay but the search engine of it is just plain bad. It had a lot of pop ups and ads but i thought it was worth it.

I admire them for shutting down instead of handing over their log files. My ip would have shown up there quite often. It's not that i'm afraid of a lawsuit (nobody has gotten sued for downloading anything in my side of the world yet), it's that I seriously think the media conglomerates that are hunting people down left and right are just hurting the very people they make their money from. I download tons of albums, that doesn't mean I would buy every album I have downloaded if I couldn't get it for free, it just means I would have a lot less music to listen to and I would know a lot less bands even existed. It also means I would have bought a lot of CDs i initially thought would be good after having listened to 1 song on the radio or at a friend's house just to realize that was the only worthy song on the whole album. The opposite has happened to me too where i didn't really think much of a particular album 'till I downloaded it, heard how good it was and went to the store and bought it for the added value of having a hard copy and the cover art. That goes for movies and software too. I'm not gonna buy a piece of software I haven't tried or that i have only tried a crippled Demo version of . If I had a penny for every time I installed something on my computer thinking it was the greatest piece of code to ever come out of human fingers just realize I was just another buggy ugly looking windows app I would have a looooot of pennys.

To me and to lots of people i know, torrents (and p2p in general) are a way to test things and also get things that you could use but would not buy for one reason or another. You may say "Well if you wouldn't buy you shouldn't use it because you're not helping the minds that built it" and you do have a point there because I'm not giving them money directly. But if I download an album of a band I like I still go to the concerts. By downloading and having access the the music or the software in question I also spread the word to about it to the people I know. Some of those people buy it, some get it the same way I did but the circle has now expanded and those people tell other people and so on.

I'm not saying piracy is good, but at least it's not what all these corporations make it appear to be and there are definetly other ways to see things.

Tags: Add Tags