1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant guy has scratched my car 3 times

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb2e9, 2 Apr 2008.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

So today I washed my car. and I noticed 3 marks on my front doors. 2 on the passenger side, both the same height and in the same area, and one on the driver door, same height and same area.
    I got home and was fixing the scratch because it went into the primer I was just using some touch up paint. When I noticed that the beat up truck next to my car, had some of my paint on it.

Question here is, do I have any legal options, or should I spray some expanding foam up his tail pipe?

2. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

All of the Above :)

Honestly, my suggestion would be to contact your auto insurance carrier, they'd likely be the best resource for what options apply to you. I'd also take some pictures of the damage and the evidence, and try speaking with the owner of the truck, he might be willing to work something out with you.

3. chrisb2e9

yeah, already sent them an e-mail. going to talk to my landlord tomrrow too.
    Thing that I dont like is that the truck that has hit my car is really beat up so I bet that this guy just doesn't care.

4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

That situation sucks. You could get lucky and he owns up to it & pays when you ask him, but i reckon that if he cared he would have owned up. I bet that if you ask him to pay the repairs he'll probably deny it was him, and probably claim the paint on his truck is from somewhere else. If he refuses to pay, you can call the cops, and they'll probably back you up and make him pay, but then there might be a new problem with forcing him to pay...

If he's a bogan (or chav as you guys say i think) then he might start damaging your car using a hammer or knife when no-one's around?

I dunno what to do in this situation, maybe someone has a GOOD solution?

5. chrisb2e9

thats another thing too, I dont want to make myself look like a ***** and find my car has 3 slashed tires the next day.
    maybe some salt in the gas tank...

6. Tim92

Tim92 Blah! Blah!

Hey I would take some pictures of the paint on the other car so if you do get into legal issues you have alittle evidence.

7. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

get management to let you park somewhere else

8. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

How severe are the scratches? If they're not that bad, but just annoying, let it slide. Maybe just go next door and talk to the guy and ask him politely to be more careful?

More often than not, a guy who's intentionally careless like that isn't the kind of person who you want pissed off at you. If he's a good guy, he might try to be more careful.

Although I personally would hold a grudge and try to find ways to get even, that's a very very bad response.

9. chrisb2e9

about 4 inches tall, and a small dent with each one.

10. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Ouch. Still, consider who you're dealing with, and determine whether it's in your best interest to avoid a confrontation.

If Canadian insurers are anything like US insurers, they likely cannot/will not do anything to help you.

If you want to cover your bases, maybe you could file some sort of a grievance or police vandalism report? Walk into your local precinct, and see what you could/should do. Just get something down on paper in case your neighbor accidently knocks a side mirror off or something.

11. chrisb2e9

I noticed that the parking spot next to mine is a visitor spot. he is there every day and they are supposed to pay 60/month for that. So I am going to see if the landlord knows about it. Hopefully not and then they will get a warning. next will come the fake loud music complaint. and then I will report seeing them kicking holes in the walls in the hallways.
    really, we got a letter today about people constantly kicking the walls and putting holes in them. If we see someone do it we are supposed to rat them out. makes sense that someone who doesn't care about my 24000 dollar car doesn't care about my landlords walls.

12. ThatGingerGuy

ThatGingerGuy † Bogan Red Neck †

Take the matter into your own hands expanding foam sounds good. but dont stop there if he did it three times get back at him 3 times hit hard LOL

Well thats my advice lol

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Then it's best for you to stop giving advice.

14. ThatGingerGuy

Lol i cant help expressing myself in that way id get really really mad and start laying into the dude lol but hat just my Ginger Rage LOL

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

why don't you speak to the person before you start making assumptions?

What if it's just some old lady who has gotten her son's old car for free? Even not caring, hitting the same car only happens if you really really cannot park for sh!t.
    Also, 95% that the other guy doesn't want a fight either, so there's almost always a good way to work it out. If there isn't, stay calm, stand your ground, and take legal action. But don't resort to anything drastic unless you have tried the more pleasant ways of dealing with the problem.

It is a good idea to take pictures of the damage and evidence now. probably not needed, but it won't hurt anyone either. It's also a good way to calm your mind down, if only that.

16. ThatGingerGuy

That is true lol id still be pretty angry

17. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Get evidence, and try to get your options from the insurance company (as you're doing). I doubt the police would be able to do much but it's not bad to cover your bases. Retaliation is not a good course of action, so best to try and have someone else get this resolved, (i.e. Police or Insurance). Even if the cops or Insurance Co. are able to resolve it or make his insurance pay or whatever, you'll probably still be better off seeing if you can't park elsewhere.

18. chrisb2e9

its a young guy. I saw him the other night when someone pulled the fire alarm and everyone had to leave the building. he was sitting in his truck while I was in mine.
    On a different note, the other day in a different parking lot I was in my car putting my seatbelt on when some old lady gets into the truck next to my car and slams the door into my car! I jumped out right away and looked for damage. she didn't even know that she had hit me even though it shook the car.

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

TBH, I'd park somewhere else...

20. chrisb2e9

I've decided to fix the scratches myself. I've fixed many like it so it wont be hard.
    Not sure how to get the dents out. they are really small, I wonder if the trick on youtube where you spray liquid co2 on it will work.
    Would be nice if my dealership sold touch up paint that didn't come out of a felt pen.

Tags: