1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evaluating the value of a domain name

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Murdoc, 2 Apr 2008.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

My boss has a domain name www.apartments-cyprus.co.uk he has had an offer of a company/person to buy the domain, they own www.apartments-paphos.co.uk so it is understandable why they want the domain. Anyone have any idea how much it is worth or how much domains of a similar 'clarity' trade for? It seems to me that it may be a case of what the guy is willing to pay but he doesn't want to get cheated.

I know it is a difficult one to answer but thanks in advance to any replies.

2. dazmanultra

dazmanultra What's a Dremel?

I would charge what you can; I'd imagine they will want to negotiate you down a bit. I would charge £500+ simply because of the hassle of arranging the transfer of ownership (because it's a .co.uk you have to go via Nominet and you have to fill in paperwork, prove your identity etc). If they really want the domain they'll eventually cough up.

In the meantime, in a business sense it may be an idea to register variations on the name (for the sake of the registration fee of a few pounds a year) because if these are valuable names you can either put something yourself up there or again sell them on. I'm not advocating cyber-squatting since variations on apartments and cyprus are not specific to a single company. Speculate to accumulate and all that.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

"Cheated" is the wrong word if your boss gains anything on the deal, it's like selling shares for more than you paid but before they hit a peak.

What's the name worth to your boss? Looking at this list, unless you have an extremely desirable name they're not big money things.