1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get out of here, nv4_disp.dll (Stalker & BSOD)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by John_Edward, 2 Apr 2008.

1. John_Edward

John_Edward What's a Dremel?

Soo...
    I've run in to a little problem.
    Every time I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R, my computer ****s with me, and gives me randomly this BSOD
    Now, when and where this happens is completely random, and the only thing I have found to be the same in every crash, is that I'm playing stalker.
    It has happened when I opened my inventory, looted a body, talked with someone, shot someone, jumped, changed the map, saved, loaded, alt tabbed, tried to go to menu, tried to exit the game, and one that 99% of times crashes, is to change the graphic options when I have a game running.

I have tried the new 169.44 drivers, 169.22 drivers, 169.18 drivers, some old 163.xx drivers and newest omega drivers.
    I have tried to google, and so far, found three options, buy an ATI card try with win Vista and to go **** myself and "Go play <insert game here>, stalker sux!1one"
    The card is 8800GTS 320mb, I have 2Gbs of memory (might be the problem, as stalker uses 1.1GB of it usually, so some memory defect maybe ?) and windows XP SP2

So, what the hell is it and how do I fix it...

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

what version of the game you running?!?

the 1.0001 patch fixed a hell of a lot of things

the 1.0003 patch fixed yet more

and the 1.0005 did some more.

Heavily bug ridden, yet still surprisingly fun!

And to test your memory, use something like memtest (http://www.memtest.org/)

3. John_Edward

John_Edward What's a Dremel?

Been using 1.0004, I'll try the 5 patch if it works.

4. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Im actually having similar problems with the same graphics card memory and win xp sp2. Although Im not trying to play stalker I do get random bsod on other games mainly EVE. Also many services are randomly crashing and im getting alot more normal crashes on other games. I have the latest driver/patch for everything but to no avail. One BSOD code did point to a nvidia driver file otherwise the rest have been pretty indeterminate.

Let me know how your investigations go John Edward

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

Oh S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I have just started playing that again recently great game, but buggy as hell.

There is a 1.0006 patch but I dont think its officially released.

I too have 2gb of ram, I dont get crashes but I get the occasional stutter, now I have another 2gb of corsair sitting next to me but I am not allowed it for another 9 days because its a birthday present from my GF, anyway thats besides the point.

I have occasionally come out of the game and got a windows is running low on virtual memory message. I remember sim city societies would not run well no matter what system you had unless you had a ton of virtual memory.

So you could try cranking up the virtual memory for this game. It didnt really dawn on me to increase mine even after the message as I thought it was just xp/stalker being buggy, if you are having an issue maybe my stuttering is semi related.

Edit: Just loaded up the game after setting my virtual memory to 2000mb and loaded up a save near "the garbage" thats usually where I get a slight stutter if I run really fast through that area, and no signs of any stutter.

Though the actual part of the game I am on is in the research labs, Im too scared to go down any more stairs :worried: