1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Norwegians told to keep shtum on file sharing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

seriously this is starting to get way out of hand and really getting annoying....

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

You could just send the letter to any Internet user in the world. Because anyone using the Internet has and will be downloading or uploading copyright materials some way or another, now or in the future. In fact reading my copyrighted post without my permission is a act of copyright infliction. Because you have downloaded it so you can read it. And if you quote to my message then you are sharing it.

The above text is © by USRFobian. reading, quoting, copying and protesting to it without my permission is prohibited

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

At least there is some sense being made, as i said to another forum member on another thread, if there are laws being broken it is a matter for the law enforcement and justice systems not special interest groups and service providers.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Share and share alike :p

Are the legal company acting on behalf on anyone else (such as the Norwegian version of the RIAA/BPI), and how are they getting the evidence that people may be downloading copyrighted material?

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I'm packing my bags and moving to Norway out of college, simply because the government there apparently has some sort of intelligence.

7. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Doesnt the RIAA outsource to a company, that gets evidence by someone downloading a music / copyrighted file from THEM.

However this is not deemed illegal by the RIAA that said company is file sharing?
    It boggles my mind, i doubt they pay the artist for the damages they cause for allowing this to happen?

One person downloads song, which in turn allows hundreds (thousands) of others to download from that said person.

Its like honey pot entrapment. They do an illegal activity to catch the 'criminal' but how much damage do they cause?

Have the artists finally got any looksie into the monies received in court?

8. Vakuum

Vakuum What's a Dremel?

Ofcourse they are acting on behalf of BPI (most likely) or some RIAA sub-company.
    The good thing is that in norway you have to actually press charges before the ISP have go give out any info on any given IP.
    And it's not the firm that get the info, but the police that is handling the charges.
    So at the current state almost all charges will be dropped due to poor evidence (In norway you have to be proven guilty, and not the other way around)

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yes, but the BPI is a British organisation, the RIAA is a US organisation. Neither, AFAIK, have any jurisdiction in Norway.
    So I was just wondering whether there's a Norwegian body that represents the record industry, and whether they're the ones instructing the lawyers to send the letters.

I always thought honeypot tactics were inadmissible in court, since they are classed as entrapment. Or am I just imagining that?

I doubt very much that the artists will get anything - in fact, I'm sure I read somewhere that the record companies were looking to *reduce* artist royalties, citing falling sales and piracy...

This has never been about the artists, it's always been about profit and the greed of the record companies.

10. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

"violation of that person's human right to participate in society"

Harsh words. And they couldn't be more adequate.

One can not, ever, ever, EVER, be removed from social interaction (another way to say arrested) unless convicted of a crime (not accused, not assumed guilty, not even after confessing to commiting a crime!); to do so arbitrarily, because of some private organizations whims and interests, is a clear violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I think you better unpack. The grass is always greener on the other side, you know...

IIRC the ISPs don't have to give the police anything. I think it will have to go to court to actually get something. The ISP still don't have to give it to them. (Nobody can force you to witness in a case)

The bad thing about this is that the ones that could potentially sign these letters are the ones that doesn't necessarily know what they are signing to, they just do it to get off the hook. I my opinion this is on the limit to fraud or trickery.

12. Vakuum

Vakuum What's a Dremel?

Norway has their own lobby-firms just as any other country. Just can't remember what they are called (Think one is called IFPI)
    So ofcourse there are lawyers from these firms sending out the notes. It does't seem that any other firms here really care about p2p stuff except the lobby-firms.

Honeypot tactics: You can't really use them cause as far as I know, there is now law against downloading music that they can use.

13. Vakuum

Vakuum What's a Dremel?

On a side note:
    This just got posten on one of the main Norwegian news sites.
    http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2008/04/04/531577.html

It says:
    File shareres are buying more dvd's and are going more often to the movies than none-file shares shows the latest study performed by the Norwegian movie association

14. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately "honey pot entrapment" seems to being gaining in popularity across all sorts of "offences" not just these digital dodgy dealers, its a byproduct of the right wing slide of politics imho.
    The sci-fi films that show a 1984 style controlled society are looking more like predictions than fiction. Here in uk we have got the " controlled society " infrastructure almost inplace, and a government happy to use it..

And I may obtain the odd tv show by download - but watch one free and then buy series, life on mars for example sounded like the sweeney crossed with goodnight sweetheart, tried episode one recognised sweeney but have decide to buy series NOT download it. But the copyright Mafia don't want such scenarios to be possible..

15. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Oh dear god... next they're going to start prosecuting people for playing the radio too loud cos their next door neighbours were able to listen to music they hadn't paid for

16. compmodder

compmodder What's a Dremel?

well luckily for us here in canada, we have a little more freedom for those who download and the creative ideas companies such as bell and rogers come up with to 'put a stop' to p2p networks. unfortunately they can't because things as simple as msn messenger use sharing folders and colleges and universities also use sharing folders to share work between students. This 'filtering' bell is talking about (if it ever gets put in) is gonna cause quite the havvock and probably gonna get removed...lucky for me tho, i have high speed dsl which was one of the services not being filtered :clap:

Tags: Add Tags