1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Who drives a diesel?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mother-Goose, 18 Mar 2008.

1. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The mileage out of the Corolla is my actual calculated figure from everyday commute just last Summer. The trip was 62km in each direction, with roughly 50km of each route being on the highway.

The MR2 figure was from intermittent low-speed city driving. I admit that the figure is partially skewed from much idling and mostly coasting (the car frequently went in and out of storage and maintenance), but it was nevertheless taking out for actual driving and still yielded commendable combined economy.

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Mercedes 1.9d here
    It drinks between 7 and 8 litres for each 100km's.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

VW Polo 1.4L TDI, December 2007 but the 2008 model as one step down to the VW BlueMotion model.

I have a 10 gallon tank and managed to get 568 miles to it with about 1/8th of a tank left which is about 65mpg assuming I've used 9 gallons. I do mainly motorway driving and I drive very efficiently hence the high mpg. My road tax is only £35 a year due to it being an efficient car :rock:

4. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

My first car was a 1984 diesel VW Rabbit. It was the most awesome car in the world but it was way past it's prime and could never dream of passing safety inspection :(. It would have gotten around 45-50mpg though and I want to get another one in decent condition.

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I drove the blue motion the other day, it's surprisingly good fun! I reckon if I was doing 65mph in 6th on the motorway I could get 60mpg at a push, I've got a trip to the lake district coming up so I might have to give this a go.

However, I got 48mpg cruising at 95 so that was pretty good too lol

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I got from Southampton to Preston and back via the Brecon Beacons in Wales on one tank before I ran out of fuel somewhere outside of Newbury so I think that's a nice 550 miles there and I was doing about 80 - 90 on the way up.

Believe me, it's a very efficient car. I did pay an extra £600 to have a diesel engine but I think it will pay itself off in time, especially with that low tax although its only just below the boundary for the next level of taxation - 119g/km, just 1g/km shy of the next tax band (which I think is about £130?). The BlueMotion should get more out of the tank, drive efficiently and you'll be surprised how much you can get out of it.

As you can see, I love my car!

7. Alan

Alan What's a Dremel?

BMW 320d coupe, 48mpg from a tank is bad news, in semi-decent traffic and journeys, about 54mpg (in theory it's supposed to be nearer 60). Seeing is believing. And 177bhp to boot, not a bad combo.

8. MShort

MShort putting the "i" in team

sorry my sarcasm detector is broken, seriously?

edit-i read on :blush:

9. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

I've got a 2002 Renult Laguna 1.9 DCi - on a trip from dover to swansea the computer readout said i adveraged 57 - 58MPG, i did the return trip on a tank, started with a full tank and put £53 back in after. £53 for a 600 mile journey for me is great (for comparison this was about 2 months ago when diesel was at about £1.09 per liter in my area)

The other day i did about 4 hours of driving on A roads and Motorway with a big 14ft open canoe on a roof rack and still got 50MPG. Car tax is £115 (think its £120 in the new tax system coming in) and its a really comfy ride. Next car is going to be another diesel. The only bad thing is that the price per litre is going up imensely, the difference between diesle and petrol is growing/ in 2 months its gone up 9p per liter at my local garage!

10. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Mercedes E-Class 250D. 1986 model.
    I can drive from my home to Amsterdam in one go. On one tank. I can even get to the German border again before i refuel. And that is at 100mph cruising.
    So that makes figures something like 16Km/l or 38.5mpg. Not bad for a car that is 22 years old and has done 733000km or 455465miles.
    Though i want a new C class instead.

11. Mother-Goose

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

13. Mother-Goose

Best looking supercar in the world? Probably.

14. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Saab 93 1.9 TTid Only had it for 10 days but its averaging about 49MPG which isn't bad considering I've been testing the pulling away speed and mainly town driving...

Not the coolest car but better that a sodding Prius

15. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I like the satisfaction that I get better mileage than them and paid less for a nicer car, heated leather and a damn fine stereo system not to mention the turbo noises;)

Speaking of which I creamed the front end of my Jetta on the way to work last night, I hit a raccoon at about 50mph and he took out my bumper, grilles, and front spoiler. The little ******* bounced down the road, got up and took off.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Is that the Fiat Twin turbo unit?

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You won't believe it, but I saw one of these casually rolling down Hagley Road in Birmingham yesterday. In red, like the picture (probably not a diesel though, unless it was Top Gear reviewing it, who are based in Birmingham Pebble Mill). :jawdrop:

19. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

I'm sure last time I drove past the Pebble Mill studio it had been razed to the ground.

20. quack

quack Minimodder

I think you'll find Top Gear is based at Dunsfold Aerodrome (in Surrey!), I think you'll also find that Pebble Mill was demolished 3 years ago.

Tags: