1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karol, 11 Apr 2008.

1. Karol

Karol What's a Dremel?

2. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Well, that'd make a good home server-type build, but I'm assuming the 500W PSU and 8800 GTS are for another computer, right? Because that motherboard doesn't have a PCIe x16 slot, so you couldn't even plug the graphics card in. And you'd be processor-limited in everything anyways.

EDIT:
    Nevermind, that link sent me to my wishlist instead :p Could you take a screen shot?

3. Karol

Karol What's a Dremel?

The link is for my new build. And the 8800GTS 512 & 500w psu also.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

We cannot read your cookie set on YOUR COMPUTER, therefore we cannot see your computer parts. For me it says that my wish list is empty.

Please type the parts and their prices.

5. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Haha, yeah, that's what happened to me, too, so I was linked to the parts for a micro ITX server I was going to build as soon as I had the time. What are the exact components? Could you type them or link us to the product pages instead?

6. Karol

Karol What's a Dremel?

7. GoodBytes

Ok, I am really getting tired at saying this.. Hmm... perhaps I should bookmark this reply...
    Here I go:

Your system will fail to work properly, I am 100% (not 99.999%, I do mean 100%) sure of this.
    You are using a 32-bit Operating System. It supports 4Gb of RAM maximum, meaning Windows will startup and you won't have a BSOD. However, you will use 3.2GB to 3.5GB of RAM depending on your system. In result, you go pay for 500-700Mb that you will NEVER EVER use.
    The only way you will able to unlock your 4 or more GB of RAM is to get a 64-bit Operating System, like Vista 64-bit.

Also, why are you limiting your 64-bit CPU to block it at 32-bit? Are you afraid that your processor is too fast for you? 'cause you can still get an Intel Pentium 4 or Pentium D 1st gen for far cheaper if it is too fast for you. The only reason that I could think of, in using a 32-bit OS on a computer that offers you the ability of 64-bit, is if you have several peripherals that really does not have Vista 64-bit drivers, and you don't have the funds to replace them, OR you are using a specific software for your job that REAALY you cannot live without, and that the company that you work for refuse to update it to fix its bug when run under a 64-bit OS, because it was programed by a team of in-experience programmers (specially that XP 64-bit was after some time, they have no excuse).

I say, unlock the full potential of your 64-bit processor, allow it to run a 64-bit Operating System, so that you can execute 64-bit applications, codecs, and possibly future games. What is nice about Vista 64-bit, is that all the application that comes with it, from Media Center to Windows Mail, even Windows Media Player, are all available in 64-bit. NOTE: When you get Vista 64-bit, Windows Media player, Movie Maker, Windows Media enter are linked to the 32-bit version, for the because at the time Vista was out, there was no descent 64-bit codecs. Now, 64-bit codecs (all of them, even codec packs) are out, and the results compared to the 32-bit are visually superior. So make sure to re-create the shortcuts.
    During the installation of your software, drivers, Start Menu editing, configuring your system, I suggest to temporary disable UAC, however when done, re-unable it, and everything will be fine, and should barely bug you.

8. Karol

Karol What's a Dremel?

will all games work with 64 bit vista? im planning to dual boot also.

9. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

QFT.

Yes, all games work in 64 bit. Except maybe some DOS games and things that are more than ten years old. Most modern games are even coming out with 64-bit versions and optimizations. Crysis and HL2 both have 64-bit modes/options. I've been running 64 bit for a year now, and I've never had a single problem (other than iTunes didn't get a 64-bit refresh until a couple of months back).

EDIT: And dual-booting won't be affected by a 64-bit OS, it works exactly the same way. Though I'm assuming the other OS would be Linux, and you might as well get a 64-bit version of it, too. Linux has amazing 64-bit support and has for far longer than Windows.

10. GoodBytes

All games will work under Vista 64-bit. If they you ever fall onto one (usually old, VERY badly programed game) that doesn't work just look for a patch.
    The only game that cause graphic problem under Vista (both 32 and 64bit) is Worms World Party, however if you set in the compatibility option to Windows 98, then the game works fine. Yea that is an OLD game.

As for DOS game and 16-bit games, you can run DOSBox emulator to run them and the problem is solved.

11. Karol

Karol What's a Dremel?

ok so ill get 64 bit, now is my system looking compatible? Will my psu be enough?

12. GoodBytes

I can't find reviews nor detail specification of your PSU, and I never heared in all my life of "StarTech". Based on the price, it looks like a regular standard Power Supply. Should be ok...

If it fails, or you want something better quality and feature, I suggest the Corsair HX 620W.
    - Super Quiet (on of the quietest aval.)
    - Modular cables
    - Excellent reviews everywhere
    - Superb product quality
    - 5 year warranty.

13. Karol

Karol What's a Dremel?

yeah its a odd company, i had no probs with it so it should work like you said.

14. BlossomPink

BlossomPink What's a Dremel?

i would go for a 700W psu minumum just incase you ever want to upgrade

15. GoodBytes

Watts are not everything... amps is the big player.

16. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

to what?! two 8800GTX's, 4 hard drives and an Extreme quad core?

sorry, PSU's don't need to be as high a power as people (you) say.