1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Windrider] Shiny steel for charity -Finished and given away-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by La carotte d l'o, 18 Mar 2008.

1. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

Thanks, for all those nice words.

[snap...]

I started to re-make this project.

Wasn't very motivated in first place, so i didn't take much pictures.

So let's start from front.

You can see the original desing for the front in this picture:
    [​IMG]

It was too boring, so i made some re-designing.
    [​IMG]

Planned some decorations, but dumped those:

[​IMG]

Welded the frame together:
    [​IMG]

"Net" is bended 7mm higher in the middle, after welding the frame was quite twisted, acid proof steel doesn't like heat.
    It was quite job to get it straightened, but there is nothing that some brutal violence cant handle. :)

Frame is made for 6 pieces and welded together with tig-welder and sanded smooth.
    This point i sanded it with the orbital sander to 400 grit, then i have to use my hands and watersand it to 1200 grit.

After watersanding it looked like this:

[​IMG]

I also added sanded and polished plate behind the "net", so it gives nice reflections.

Net looked boring without a spider, so i decided to make one.

I used 35mm bar, and sanded it with corner grinder using 80 grit flap discs and dremels deburring tool.
    [​IMG]

Actually, i don't have many tools, because i throwed them away, so i have made all shapening with this:
    [​IMG]

Ok, back to the spider:

First i was making very simple spider:
    [​IMG]

Noticed that it looks stupid, so did some shaping:
    [​IMG]

I used 5mm welding rod. (Elga316L) to legs, sanded and smoothened with "deburring tool" and sanding paper. Parts are welded together with tig.

My intention in firstplace was to use it in this position:

[​IMG]

So i made a small heart upside down to the head, as i decided to use it as an logo.

After several changes i got spider finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A "heart" was upside down in that place, so i smoothened it.

Ps.. Sorry for dusty and blurry images and my bad english too, as i said earlier i suck in any language so don't let it bother. :)

Last edited: 5 Apr 2009
  2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

oh man, that is horrible... my deepest respect for even coming back here and posting something as sensible as this. Take your time, take care, we'll still be here whenever you return.

3. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

My deepest apologies, I misinterpreted what was written, sorry for your loss.

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

When you are ready - not soon - start a memorial case. Some part of her to remember.
    We grieve with you.
    John

5. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

The best of wishes for you, La carotte d l'o, as you mourn. Obviously your girlfriend was quite a special person and will be missed so very much. If you can draw any strength at all in these times, know what your fellow modders respect you and are thinking of you.

Warmest regards,

Christine

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Thank you for coming back and letting us know.

Once again, May you find the peace and healing you need.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

main projects i read, and see leave me speechless due to the quality of the work, this thread has left me speechless in a different way and has taken me a while to think of what to say.

you know you are somewhere good when the forum community comes together as a family and offers support. keep posting in other threads so we know your ok...

My condolances for your loss and i hope the best for you.

8. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I'm very sorry for you, hope you'll get better !

9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Once again, really sorry for your loss.

Could one of the mods kindly close this thread as he wished.

Darkened

10. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

My condolances for your loss, peace be with you...

11. hotdog

hotdog What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear. May God stengthen you!!!!

12. blu

blu What's a Dremel?

sorry for your loss
    i hope that you will find joy and comfort in some aspect of life. i wish there was more we could do for you. just remember we are a family, here for support.

13. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

It isn't easy coping with death, especially not when it is a person that is that near to you, it is hard to form a future in ones mind after such a disaster... I'm sure your girl didn't want you to stop doing what you loved doing (not only regarding modding)... When you're ready start living again.

Deepest condolances

LooZypher

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In tragedies like these, words always seem too trite and inadequate to convey heartfelt sympathies in a sufficiently meaningful manner.

Losing a lover to death is like having the heart torn from your chest. They say a part of you dies, but the truth is, all of you does. You find yourself wandering like a zombie in a world that feels nothing to do with you anymore; a life that seems to have decided to take a sudden left turn and cut you out of the deal.

Grief takes time, and people do get beyond it (you never get over it). It hurts, and it takes time. One day you find that perhaps 15 minutes passed when you did not think about your grief, or that you could actually taste something. Eventually those times lengthen and become more frequent. Although you can never see the dawn at the midnight hour, inevitably it will come along.

Look after yourself, and come back to us.

15. La carotte d l'o

First, thanks for those earlier nice words for everyone.
    I really needed something to do, so i started to re-make this project again some time ago.

I edited some pictures for my earlier posts.

And here is some more:

I covered the fans with steel.
    Yes, i will use normal fans this time. I will use that wireless fan idea later:

[​IMG]

And added some polycarbonate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe i will change those fans later.

Did some parts for wirehider / airguide frame.
    [​IMG]

You can see, that i used some old motherboard tray this time, but i will cover it with acryl and steel so it won't be visible. I also made a support for motherboards atx-24 pin cable and added old fan control, witch is donation for old Lian Li case.

I bought cheapest motherboard what i founded, because this case might not ever be used. I just wanted to finish this project.

[​IMG]

Made some support for airguide.

[​IMG]

Did some shaping and covers for motherboard tray, i will sand and polish those plates later.
    [​IMG]

I thought that i might use "mustang" as an "Windrider", it needs still wings, polishing and shaping. :worried:

[​IMG]

I used some old parts for earlier project to make a fangrills. Those fans we're broken, but those metal parts was still usable. (after some straightening.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Backside looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I added some usb-ports and mic and headphone connectors:

[​IMG]

I used 6mm acid proof steel plate to make those "blades" in the door. Sanded with corner grinder, shaped with "depurring tool" and welded with tig.

[​IMG]

I did some shaping for the door:

[​IMG]

My kids designed that shape. You might see "hearts" in the upper part, it was my daughters idea to make whole door decorated with hearts, i liked it, but my son said that it was too "lällyä" with means in english "girls stuff" so they planned the decoration together and there it is, girly decoration with manly touch. :)

Now i'm making some stuff using uv-reactive acryl, i noticed that it will need some colours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where i'm now. I'm going to add a little "Samsung" plate to cover those holes.
    Quality isn't what it should be, but i did those shapings a little free handed. Now i'm more motivated and trying to save this project and will make a little more detailed updates.

Somekind of project log so far in here, but its finnish.

Case is really a dust and fingerprint magnet, so it really needs some polishing when finished. :)

Last edited: 5 Apr 2009
  16. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

nice to see that you are back :)
    This is really looking good, amazing metal working skills !

17. La carotte d l'o

Thanks. It was your "car mod" what made me post here in first place. :)

I'm really sorry for the quality of pictures, my intention wasn't make a decent project log at all, but then i noticed that i was here reading and...

I forgot:

Ugly rivets.
    [​IMG]

Part, back side isn't not so good looking. Needed to make some clearance for rivets.
    [​IMG]

And after sanding and polishing it looked much better:

[​IMG]

Rivets hided and support for door in one small piece of steel. (acid proof steel, like all parts what i will use in this case)

18. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

awsome! case!!!!

intresting to see the back plate!

19. La carotte d l'o

As you can see the connectors are located in the bottom, i will make some details for the back later, i'll post more pictures when i get there.
    I will make a "table" for the case and the optical drive and start button will be placed in the front of the table. I don't like to make any drawings, its much funnier to just improve. :) So i'll show it when i have done something.

And thanks for the feedback. :blush:

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

welcome back mate. I shall sit and eat popcorn. :D