1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos How far do you go for a good photo?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by FragileSocks, 14 Apr 2008.

1. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

Here is your chance to tell us about the sacrifices you have made to earn that perfect photograph.

What are the furthest lengths you have gone to?

Feel free to show the pictures that were worth all the effort too.

Personally I am an absolute beginner who has not yet bought a lens for the newly acquired DSLR, but rest assured I will soon be out there doing my best to get the perfect shot.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2008
  2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Like many amateurs I'm sure, my photos are very hit and miss. I'll spend ages thinking about a good idea, and planning, and it'll end up rubbish. Likewise, some of the best photos I've taken have been ones which I thought would be rubbish and that I hadn't put much effort into.

So until I can consistently work out what makes a great photo, I don't really spend too long setting up - as there's just as good a chance it'll end up rubbish as it being any good.

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I think it's my girlfriend who has had to make the greatest sacrifice in that whenever I bring my camera I'm always only half way there constantly ready and on the lookout for something interesting.
    I've actually had to promise her that there will be camera free mornings when we go on holiday this summer :D We're going to Tuscany so I'm not sure how much I can keep the promise :D
    Anyways all my photography is also pretty "safe". And I'm pretty much a noob as I only started venturing into it all last spring. :)

4. FragileSocks

I like the photos on your Flickr, and hope mine will be as good by next spring.

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Thanks :) All the best and luck to you :) Improving is all about taking a lot of pictures and playing around. If you remember to play when taking photos improvement will come a lot faster I think. If taken seriously I find it really hard to take any good pics. Also if you are able to visualize your shot or concept then you'll already be half way there to a good shot :)

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I haven't scarified much yet. Only time and money. I will probably spend even more time when I get my new camera. (Hopefully this week!)

I have destroyed a camera when trying to make a IR camera, though... (Taking out the IR filter of a compact camera isn't easy).

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

From my extensive Spouse/Photography expirience, take this advice: Vacation needs to be planned in one of 2 ways. One, you go a few days early or stay a few days extra; to spend that time with a camera alone. Or two, you plan on spending time alone at sites you have picked ahead of time; while she does her thing (for kudos, book her an all day spa treatment with manicure and pedicure-if that doesn't do the trick get her tickets to something you know she likes and you don't). Vacation time with a loved one(s) is never serious photo time. I often marveled at the photos I have from my vacations, because they look like I used P&S rather then my regular kit. Then I started seeing other photographers holiday stuff, and realized they were the same. I seriously can't get anything cool done when my wife is around, because that is our time together. If I want to shoot, I book in extra time.

8. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Not quite going a long way for a photo but i went up a climbing wall to get some climbing photos a while ago, not pushing it too far as it was an easy enough climb but taking the photo took my mind off staying on the wall and it got a bit sketchy :p

Personally I think yesterdays walking around Nottingham city centre with a camera and tripod strapped to me was pushing my luck a bit further

9. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Yeah Nottingham isn't what it used to be without the sheriff and that bandit Robin loose in the streets :p

10. FragileSocks

Do you still have the pictures Ninja?

It would be great to see some shots on this thread.

I am sure many other photographs have some interesting stories to them too, like Ninjas precarious venture on a climb.

Perhaps you have gone to some lengths for a competition or in connection with your work. Maybe taken an accidental shot of something that turned out good. Braving extreme weather, or waiting for hours/days in a hide.

11. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

It still does have them both, except the sheriff replaced all his deputies with PCSOs and Robin hood hangs around McDonalds and abuses anyone with my length hair and a beard. Thankfully Robin Hood knows nothing about SLR cameras and probably assumes they are old and not worth anything given their size.

I lost the images along with an external drive sadly, Im wanting to do it again but it requires time when a few of us can go and the climbing centre is empty as people get funny around cameras (and in the way) and the centre would probably have issues.

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ah, the stories..

Four day on the train to go from Washington to New York to take pictures of trains.

Running down a hill trying to get into position for a shot and coming to a small cliff and thinking "well, if i break my leg, I'll still get the shot" and jumping

Getting stuck in a ditch a mile up a service road to get pictures at Cascade Tunnel, then having to hitchike 12 miles into town for a tow.

Riding around Omaha, Nebraska on a bicycle in Feburary to take pictures when it's hovering around zero F

yeah, I could go on

13. FragileSocks

Now that's dedication! I hope you were not injured too badly.

What were the results like? Perhaps you would like to post a picture or two?

14. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

I think the only thing I've sacrificed is public presence... meaning, I've found many flowers in the floor, and in order to get a cool perspective I would literally lay down in the floor, in the middle of the street... and yes, people were staring at me looking like "this guy's nuts..." lol

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Actually I trod around in some dog poo just 10 minutes ago while shooting... Biggest sacrifice yet. If doing something unknowingly could be considered a sacrifice :D

16. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Last week, I went out in the snow. By the time I finally got back inside, me and my camera were covered in snow. Thankfully the L lens I had on is weather resistant, and my 40D relatively so. All of my gear is still working great afterword.

Tags: