1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant All keyboard layouts are wrong

Discussion in 'General' started by Jamie, 16 Apr 2008.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Jamie, How about a Logitech DiNovo keyboard? the Numpad is a seperate device which could be put on either side of the keyboard.

I've got the model down from this one, found the keyboard great just didn't like the mouse that came with it (so I used a MX1000 instead).

Last edited: 16 Apr 2008
  2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i use my mouse with either hand... so i simply switch the mouse from one side to the other and use my left on the mouse and right on the keyboard.....

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I find that most Logitech keyboard are fine keyboards. Distance between keys are perfect. However I must say that it really depending on your hand size. I don't know my hand size compared to the average population (I have a better life for than check these things out, however I think that my hands is regular. I never found anything too small or to big, other then the 1st generation of XBOX (1) controller.

However I must disagree with you, I find the current setup perfect.
    When I play games, I use a normal keyboard configuration. However when I mostly program and draw, I turn the keyboard about 20-30degress, so that the numpad is away giving me a tad more space for my mouse. In fact, I did not even realize that I ever did this until now as I type this post.

However here is a perfect solution to your problem.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Cordless-Desktop-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B0002XGSS8
    Notice how you have a wireless numpad separated from the wireless keyboard, so you can entirely remove it with ease and use it when you need it.
    In fact if you play FPS games, and you can configure the controls, you can set to only use your numpad and mouse.

Also with a mouse like the Logitech MX revolution, although not a pro gaming mouse, does a great job and not a basted at blaming your failure in games at your devices. It has many buttons, and could be configured to fit your gaming needs, reducing the usage of the keyboard.

4. Slink

Slink B7

and whats the deal with airline food cmon

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Just what I thought. I tried it at a friends place with numpad on the other side for gaming but it was lil confusing when i looked for wasd keys on the leftside edge.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Good thinking, although with an Ergo 4000 I'm sure Jamie would rather stay put- I know I would.

This thread makes a good point though that I've never really consciously noticed before although it's always annoyed me, I've just been unaware of it. That said, like RTT I'd have difficulty using the numpad with my left hand, although I guess I don't know how much I'd be able to adapt till I've tried it.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Kensington also makes a keyboard that you can remove the numpad.

Personally, I wish my G15 has its macro keys there. I never use the bloody thing, unless I'm at work on their excuses for a PC.

8. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

For general use, having the mouse to the left and numpad to the right is very convenient - I type right in front of the monitor, and my mouse (Logitech MX610 left-handed edition) is still nice and close. No need to reach over the (underused) numpad for me!

9. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Jamie, I agree completely with you. I don't even use the numpad all that often, so I wouldn't be terribly upset to get a keyboard without one. Unfortunately, I can't stand flat keyboards and I've never seen an ergonomic board without a numpad. Also, I once tried the solution in the image you posted. My attempt went badly, but there's no reason it couldn't be made to work.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yep, that's me too.

11. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

12. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Normal Keyboards are wrong are they?
    Right.

Hands up anyone who's ever used an AZERTY keyboard for any length of time?
    No Hands?

That's because they're all CRIPPLED!

As for the numpad issue, I really like it where it is. I've tried keyboards without, and it just doesn't feel right.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

i would like to try out a dvorak keyboard....

14. Valo

Valo Minimodder

hmm, maybe I am wierd, but when gaming I actually prefer to have my hands wider apart :s.

15. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

So just move they keyboard and mouse apart. But its not as easy to move them closer due to the physical restraint of the numpad being there

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I find the gap between my Mouse and Keyboard to be perfect, while my desk is an 'L' shape, with keyboard down one side and mouse down tother, it fits, works and is perfect, however, i think your point is most valid for standard rectangluar desks.

Sam

17. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

it all tastes like chicken?

18. Adrir

Adrir Aspiring Game Developer

lol - same keyboard as me too, but I like the numpad where it is!

19. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Surely that's because AZERTY is designed for languages other than English? I know they use it in France, presumably because it makes it easier to type common words? They miss the 'W' out of the top line because French has very few 'W's compared to English. I'm not surprised you found it hard for typing in English.

I tried briefly to learn Dvorak - it didn't seem too hard, it was actually quite intuitive. However, I still came to the conclusion that because QWERTY is so ingrained in society, learning a new layout will probably cause me more trouble than it's worth.

The QWERTY layout is apparently a throwback to the days of typewriters. On the first typewriters, keys were arranged alphabetically and the typewriters were prone to jamming when you typed at speed. QWERTY was invented so that the hammers often pressed at the same time were physically further apart and therefore less likely to jam. Although some people will tell you that QWERTY was invented simply to slow typing down and reduce the likelihood of jams that way. I don't know which is the truth, but all that is obviously irrelevant now we have electronic keyboards :)

20. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i worked in a finance department for a while and found i was using my left hand on the numpad anyhow for large amounts of data entry and the right hand to shuffle through stacks of papers.
    dunno why the numpad has always been on the right, i guess its just where its always been...

[​IMG]
    a friend of mine has very bad arthritis and swears by this freaky thing...

Tags: