1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW PC - Need program mover.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Wench, 18 Apr 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

Hi!

I have software such as the new Office Suite, Macromedia Suite, and the Adobe Suites, but I am getting a new computer, with a new hard drive. However, as it wasn't me that first had this computer, I don't know the details such as names, emails, organizations and serial numbers. Therefore, im looking to literally lift the software from one Harddrive, and install it on another. #

Any ideas?

Much appreciated

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

you can directly copy the hard drive partition to the new computer, bringing over the old os with all the programs and data. there is no way to get a program onto a new operating system other than installing it. it also sounds like there could be some legal issues here, make sure your license allows you to move the programs to a new computer.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think Western Digital even has a tool to replicate your HDD to another one.

4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Surely if you do not hold the licences, your not legally allowed to use the software.

If you do have the licences, re-install the programs on the new machine.

It the licences are OEM and came with the machine, you'll generally find they cannot legally be transferred to another PC (limitations of OEM).

Modern programs are too complex to just copy across, and I'm sorry to say I can't see you finding what your looking for (it would be far too complex, and huge).

You could do as has been suggested and move your HDD into the new machine as the primary disk, but that comes back to the legality too.

If you don't have the licences, there are free powerful alternates to, and cheap home user versions of, the bulk of the programs you mentioned.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2006/03/17/free_alternatives_to_piracy/1 lists some. A little out of date, but gives the general gist.

5. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

only option you have if you wanna keep all your preinstalled programs is imaging software like clonezilla , drive image or nortons ghost.
    each will make an exact backup of your hard drive on cd/dvd then just install it on new pc.
    downside=cant upgrade operating system and keep same programs.have to keep whatever operating system thats now installed.

6. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

OK. So I keep the same operating system, which I do actually own and have the liecense for.

So then I clone my hard drive / Program Files and Windows folders? And this all goes onto several disks?

Also, Jesus christ Golygus: grow a pair of balls.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2008
  7. notatoad

1. download the gparted livecd
    2. pull the hard drive out of the old computer, plug it into the new one
    3. use gparted to delete the partition on the new hard drive
    4. right click and copy the partition on the old hard drive
    5. paste on the new, now blank hard drive
    6. expand partition to fill the disk
    7. unplug the old hard drive
    8. using the windows cd, boot into the repair console. point it to the drive letter of your new partition, enter the commands "fixboot" and "fixmbr"
    9. uninstall all the drivers for your old hardware and install drivers for your new hardware

8. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

Thanks Supertoad. Very helpful.

9. dave2712

dave2712 What's a Dremel?

partition magic works well!!

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Chances are, while simply copying everything over to the new PC would leave all of your apps there, the OS is going to freak out at the amount of new/changed hardware. You'll probably have to eventually reinstall anyway.

Enough of that, and he isn't wrong either.

11. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

I don't like the insinuations that I have illegal copies of this software that came from Golygus. And for the love of god, is everything illegal? If I want to move a hard drive to another machine, I shall, weather you regard it as illegal or not.

A highly unhelpful person. Thanks to everyone else though.

12. notatoad

yeah, it's a bit of a gamble. i replaced my mobo, proc and ram last summer, and xp mce didn't complain. a couple months ago my dad replaced his mobo, proc and ram and xp pro made him reinstall. keeping a windows install between systems is a pretty bad idea anyways, performance-wise. it's always better to get a clean install on there, start fresh with the new hardware. i only use an old install as a holdover until i have time to reinstall everything properly.

if the license terms forbid you from doing this, as an many licenses do, then it is illegal whether you regard it as so or not. and forum rules say you can't discuss illegal things, and tad has a banhammer. that's why i put the disclaimer in my first post.

13. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

In reality, how many people in the UK do you think, think, "This HD has X, Y and Z on. I better buy a new harddrive, even though it's my hard drive, and I have purchased the liecences for them. I better get a new hard drive".

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Do STFU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.