1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [04/08] Golden lighthouse

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Smilodon, 19 Apr 2008.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I didn't think I'd ever get a shot that fitted into this months POTM, but when looking trough my window i noticed that the sun was going down. I just got on my bike and got down to the sea as quickly as I could.

[​IMG]

I got several more pictures. Quite of the sunset, but I figured it's been done to death.

The picture is taken with a Canon EOS 30D with:

18-55mm lens (kit lens)
    ISO: 200
    Fstop: F/5
    Exposure: 1/125sec
    Focal length: 18mm
    Manual mode (Yay for me! :D )

Rotated a bit (I swear i have one foot that is shorter than the other), cropped and adjusted contrast and brightness a tiny bit. Oh, and I removed some graffiti on the lighthouse. Damn kids!

Lessons learned:

Bring gloves - DAMN it was cold!
    Check tire pressure - (I'm in bad shape, and it didn't get better of almost running on the rims...)
    Bring water - (The result of the above lesson is incredible thirst.)

edit:

Here is another one taken on the same place. (I just turned 180degrees from the other picture).

[​IMG]

I'm a bit insure on which one I like best. I think the first fits the theme better, but the colors is a bit nicer on this one.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2008
  2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Nice! I like the first one best as it almost sucks you in. Is that Oslo fjord?

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Nope. It's Trondheimsfjorden. The tiny island you see to the left in the picture (Barely visible) is Munkholmen.

Munkholmen actually have an identical lighthouse :)

4. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

I really like the second photo..if only it was a bit brighter!

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Here is one from the same series of pictures. (I shot most pictures in burst mode with 3 different exposures)

[​IMG]

Cropped and adjusted the contrast a tiny bit.

While I'm at it, here is one of the pictures of the actual sunset:

[​IMG]

This one is just cropped and rotated a bit. I also removed a stupid bird. (It was a 5x5 pixel dot just beside the sun...)

6. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

The first one from this set (the one of the huts) is great.

7. Adrir

Adrir Aspiring Game Developer

I like the sunset!

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I just discovered that I could post two entries, So both the lighthouse and the loading docks is posted on the POTM site :)

When looking back at the first picture of the docks I realize that it's not really good at all. I swear it looks brighter when viewed fullscreen...

9. Vers

Vers ...

The first two are underexposed... Check the histogram regularly after each shot to make sure you nailed it. Pack a tripod next time (if you hadn't) and use the timer/release cable. This will help you get consistently better images in lower light. If you absolutely have to shoot HH, bump your ISO up a bit, don't be scared of noise...as long as you properly expose it will be negligible. Looking forward to see your improvements ;)

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The underexposure on the first one is intentional. The higher exposure looks just like any overcast day, and is pretty boring (The sky is almost one even color).

I Did use a tripod on all of them except for the one of the loading docks. It's a gorillapod, but I think I'll have to get a proper one soon.

I'll try to shoot with higher ISO next time, and see how it goes :)

11. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

the loading docks kinda reminds me of that loading dock in HL2 with the air boat :D

Tags: