1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Rude call centres!?

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 25 Apr 2008.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

The comment about the demanding an english person was based on the fact that its pointless if the call centre is in india or some other country far away.. not about a call centre in the uk.

of course they shoudnt yell at you, but, if the company doesnt give a f*** about customer service which they allready proved by hiring the cheapest people in the world they can find then the company also doesnt give a f*** about what the agents tell you (as long as its something that doesnt cost money), but they do care about statistics of the call centre... things like average call handling time are rated very important, because the faster the agent gets rid of you the more calls he can do per day, which means they need to hire less, so yes, the agent actually does what the company wants by hanging up on you if the call would otherwise take too long.

You care about the quality of the service the comapnies provide? yet you bought without actually checking the quality of the service first? thats exactly what the companies expect from the customer, pay first, then suck up whatever shitty support they give.

no, i dont say its good or should be that way, but as a matter of fact the majority of people pays for products without ever checking the quality of support before the purchase. Nothing will ever change if people dont stop buying from the companies with shitty customer service.

2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

I find the Scottish ones easy to understand tbh (i just find it odd that everytime i get a scottish call centre the person seems to be called Morag!)
    Its the Geordie ones that i literally need an interpreter for...

After the main train time table line (the 08457 484950 one) went to India i basically gave up on it as i couldnt understand them and they couldnt understand me...

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've rung various places that are obviously Indian call centres and they have diverted my call to the UK.

I wouldn't mind if they hired the cheapest people in the world and then trained them properly.

Yes I care about the quality of service and you can bet I will not be using Amazon for pre-orders that I actually want on time any more.

You're still a tit. jumping to conclusions.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2008
  4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

thing is most of the people in indian call centres have degrees and are paid relatively well... Its just the elocution thats bad.... We need to send Brian Sewell!
    (i remember watching a documentary about indian call centres in which part of the training process was making them watch Eastenders to acclimatise them to UK language and society!!!!)

Regarding Amazon and preorders they have a history of not doing them on a first come first served basis, so your problem is nothing new.....
    ITs still annoying, but a preorder doesnt actually guarantee you anything with most places...

5. will.

I almost wet myself just now! Looked at my email inbox and all I saw were the words Amazon and Dispatched, got all excited, opened the email and then realised it was for Stargate SG1: The Ark of Truth... Not so exciting as GTAIV... Boooooo!

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Isn't the lowland Scottish one of the easiest accents to understand next to an RP accent?

7. will.

To be honest, I'm fine with the bad elocution. I just would rather not be yelled at for asking for someone with better elocution. :p

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

If anybody in our call centres at my work yelled or hung up on you they would have a disciplinary or be fired!

Our operatives aren't payed on the amount of calls they 'resolve' but on the service they provide, which make a very big difference.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Worst is HSBC. I get phonecalls off them which start with 5-10seconds of silence. Then a very hard to understand and muffled indian person. Last time they rang me 8 times in one day telling me the same thing!

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What you possibly have is a mild case of Auditory Processing Disorder. You can hear OK, but your brain has difficulty decoding speech into language. Just FYI.

Now you have two choices: you can tell the person in the call centre that you have a hearing disorder and therefore struggle to understand people over the phone, so could they please bear with you? Alternatively, you could turn the tables on them and explain that English is not your native tongue, and therefore can they please bear with you? It would now be very politically incorrect for them to be rude or yell at you...

Alternatively, get a phone with an amplifier or keep your communications within the e-mail domain.

What you don't do, is persist in calling other forum members a tit. You did it four times in your first reply to naokaji, and when he did not respond to this provocation (thanks, naokaji), you did it again. I sympathise with the frustration you must undoubtedly feeling, but could you please stop calling people a tit? I'm asking nicely. I have a ban hammer. Let's not work towards a tragic outcome here.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yup. Plenty of studies been done on it, so long as the pronunciation is good, a light south-western scottish accent is pretty much the best sound to have for call-centres answering UK calls. Course, you get some weegie ned and you're not gonna understand anything. It all depends on how much the company care about providing a good service, if they pay rubbish money they'll have to hire real dregs, and if that's happening the language isn't going to be good. Simple.

12. will.

Fair enough, Mr knowy know-it-all (Looking into Auditory Processing Disorder it seems like it's quite likely as it's linked to dyslexia which would make sense. Cheers for that :thumb:) No more uncalled-for name calling. :naughty:

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

He is SUCH as nexxo

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I just had a telemarketer call me, actually it (I say it because they are automatic dialers) was calling for my girlfriend, and I asked to be put on the do not call list. He said ok, gave his disclaimer speech about how it can take 30 days to get removed from any call lists, and then hung up on me. Didn't even say good bye.
    As for calling a call center looking for support, after working in a few of them over the last few years, all I can say is that unless you have done the job. dont judge the people who are doing it. Its extremley stressful, I saw one guy get ordered by a doctor never to work in one again because it was wrecking hell with his mental stability. I've seen people break down in the middle of the day and just start crying becuase they have been yelled at so many times by unruly customers.
    So I can understand why someone would freak out and yell because they were basically (in their mind) told that their english isn't good enough for you (the op) to want to talk to them. its kind of like getting slapped in the face, through the phone.
    I'm not saying its right, but I understand why it happened.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

This is one of the reasons I avoid shopping at amazon, they're dispatch times definitely need improving

16. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

I have had several problems with Amazon.

The worst case of call center blues I have had is with Dell. I was once a Dell customer, but after never being able to resolve any issues with India, I gave up and refuse to ever buy another Dell again. That was right before I planned on purchasing one of those sweet new XPS set ups. It's a damn shame.

17. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

The worst tech support I ever got was from Sprint, they asked me to confirm my identity by looking up some obscure number on a bill from three years prior to the problem! Though I did get a woman with a homely Tennessee accent. I can't say that I've had problem's with Scottish accent's here in the US but Indian one's are un-belivable, I've even done text-chat support where I could tell the guy was from India. The other one is the "gangster" accent like the guy grew up in the worst part of Detroit or something, one of those guy's at pizza hut had me on the phone for fifteen minutes and I ended up with a third of my pizza order and a ton of hotwings.

On the other hand Archos tech support was so great I'll never leave the company! One of the rep's gave me a desk phone number I could reach her at to skip the hold, they also went and talked to their regional manager "there based in Britan" to see if he would help. The problem was they kept sending me broken units so the repair took 9 month's, to make up for it they gave me a model with 70 extra gb of storage!

Tags: