1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Enigma Reborn (5/26) Rad Grill design, more forth coming

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tolk, 7 Feb 2008.

1. Tolk

Tolk Keep it simple, build it incredible

Holy crud an update!!!

Wow, been a while! finally got my order of aluminum in the mail, along with some other fun stuff!

First off my Dura-flux rods came in so i had to mess around with them for a bit. I learned a few things that will be helpful with the case build.

Well, onto the update!

First i had to uninstall the two main arches and clean them up, cause a lot of what I'm doing now depends on the correct alignment of the two, so they have to be close to the finish product as possible.
    [​IMG]
    So here's a nice clean shot of the two after a crap ton of sanding and filing to get them perfectly matching :D
    [​IMG]

Next i attached them to the bottom plate. This being the only plate the arches will be solidly attached to. The top plate will have a hinge on it, allowing for access to the radiators and the top box with the pumps and rez's. Maintenance.. tiz the down fall of most custom builds..
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of everything back together, and upside-down. I wanted to see the strength of the case and how well balanced it is. :D Rather sweet don't u think?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And another shot of it standing right-side-up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Well, with that done i moved on to my next project. The bottom plate supports. This was a really hard thing to come up with and figure out how to do because i really didn't
    want just a bunch of crap there with out any purpose in it. So i designed this in sketch up, to work as not only supports for both the bottom plate, but the box as well.
    AND, the small area you see between the two supports will serve as a pull out drawer that will house tools/cd's and other such miscellaneous computer items. :D
    [​IMG]
    Here it is combined with the rest of the case, to give you a better idea of what I'm trying for.
    [​IMG]

First, i cut out 2 pieces of alum 7.8" wide by 24" long.
    [​IMG]

And cut out my first support, took me about 10min of measuring, and remeasuring to make sure i got it right, cause damn if it looks weird just laying there lol
    [​IMG]
    And the second one, both together and filed down and looking rather nice.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the middle bracket all cut clean and filed down. Funny how this was harder to cut out than the other 2 pieces because it had to be exactly 6" long, by 5.8" wide for it to work properly.
    [​IMG]

And for the install, damn i couldn't have wished this to be anymore exactly like my plans!, ok well not exxxxaaactly....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then.... the mistake.. DOHHHHH!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see i came up WAY short of the length of the bottom plate... after about 20min of figuring out where i went wrong i realized that i didn't take into account the part of the arch hanging over the edge of the front of the plate.... DOH

s'okay though. It's an easy fix that only you and i will know about in the end ;)

Well, that's all i have for today. I got a serious sun burn out in the brightness... so I'm not sure how much I'll get done tomorrow. I'm gonna try to get this fully

installed before the weekend.

Have a good one!

-Tolk

2. Tolk

Now THIS is an update! :D

Ya'll know how I've been waiting for some parts to come in. Well final payment was made and I got all my new goodies sent out.

Thanks DangerDen! You guys totally rock, the quality of this stuff is just incredible. Way nicer than i thought it would be.
    Can't wait to put this stuff to the test when the case is done!

Here's some pics of the stuff I got :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now, in that huge glob of pictures I have the following:

3- Black Ice GT Xtreme 480
    1- DangerDen MC TDX 775 CPU Cooler
    2- DangerDen IONE GPU Cooler (full cover)
    2- D5 12 Volt Variable Speed Pump
    2- DangerDen Aqua Drive 2 HDD Cooler
    4- Bottles of FeserOne Blue UV Fluid
    And last, but not least, 20' of 1/2" ID Tygon Tubing

Notice that i threw in a pic of the rads laying up against the sofa, just to show some scale.. these things are MONSTERS!
    Beautiful though, isn't it? :D

Ok how bout i show some of the work I've been doing on the case for the past few weeks?
    It's little stuff mostly, but there are a few big items thrown in there.

Well, continuing off of my last update, I completed the bottom plate support and put on the top cover as you'll see here.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Most of the rivets you'll see here are going to be replaced by countersunk rivets, and then bondo/painted over for a nice clean finish.

Now, for the back of this piece i had to think up something special. I thought i was just going to make an extension and bolt it on, no harm no foul, but then i got to thinking. It needs to have a purpose. So here's what i came up with!
    [​IMG]
    Ok, so you're probably thinking to yourself, uh.. it looks like an extension Tolk....
    THINK AGAIN!
    Take a closer look at the bottom piece, what do you see? To blocks of alum with gaps in them? HUH?! :duh:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Next step, two square holes in the bottom plate.. :confused:
    [​IMG]
    Next step, take the back piece, line up the holes in the plate with the bottom of the extension box and BAM... installed and looking pretty.
    [​IMG]
    Now it's all starting to come together!
    Well, as you've no doubt guessed, it's not just a simple extension, when the lock i ordered comes in I'll have a locking plate on the non-curved inside piece, and when it's completely closed in It'll be a small little lock box for me to use to hide valuables and goodies. To the untrained eye it'll just look like it's attached to the case.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sweet eh? :thumb: :rock:

Ok, time to move on and work some more on the main box.
    Like i said before, i was not to happy with my previous attempt at a back plate. So naturally, I recreated it.
    This time, I was extremely happy with it. Every cut was done well, and the motherboard tray slides in like budda!
    [​IMG]
    So, in turn i wasn't very happy with the hinge hides as well, so i started in recreating those as well.
    First piece cut out, and marked up. Hum.. what's that small V cut on the top right hand corner?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Next I broke out my trusty bending brake (damn i love this thing!) and created a spot on bend.
    [​IMG]
    Okay, okay, time to let you in on what the heck that V notch on the top of the hinge hide is...
    Here I have hide in place, and clamped down so i can do a test fit, Dummy MB and tray installed... but look.
    [​IMG]
    EWWWWW.... man, that top left hand corner where the back plate meets the top plate looks like crap!
    THIS is where thinking a head, and measuring about 500 times comes into play..
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    BAM! :D I made it to where this piece of 1/8" think, by 3/4" wide piece of aluminum strip will fit at a 45 degree angle covering up all the rivets and necessary body support work. And, make it look stylish at the same time!
    When the other hide is complete, the bar will be supported with L brackets on the inside of the hides, allowing for a nice sturdy hold.
    Then, slap on a few coats of bondo to blend in the corners and gaps and i have a nice clean look. (if you couldn't tell by now I'm all about clean lines and clean work on this case)
    Hopefully I'll be able to hammer out the second hinge hide tomorrow, as well as get some of the other internals done. then i can start working on the top and bottom of the main box, getting those squared away as well.

Hope you enjoyed the update, sorry it took so long, but i didn't want to bug ya'll with small meaningless updates that didn't show much of anything but me using a file here, and tweaking this part and that part for fit corrections.

Have a great and sunny weekend!

-Tolk

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This is a fantastic mod. Design is awesome. Should turn out awesome.

P.S Triple 480mm rads...noice.

4. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

MATE! I wanted to be hailed 'cool' for using a 480 rad (when I get around to water cooling), but 3 480's are 'INSANE'!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

One question, in your initial SketchUp design you have 360 rads, but you bought 480's?

5. The boy 4rm oz

Adding to NZ_mod_man's question. Are you running seperate loops? Or is it a single big loop? What pumps will you be using? If it is a single loop I would use two pumps.

6. badje

badje boni

That'll be enough cooling..... nice.

7. Tolk

Thanks! I'm hoping it just turns out like remotely close to how I see it in my head. Anything above that is just icing on the case.. i mean cake!

Yeah, initially i was going with the 3x360, but after some research and being the fact that i want this case to be above and beyond.. or like you put it "Insane" :D i went with the 480's Needless to say i have to adjust the case to these monsters, but in the end I think it'll be worth it.

btw, you're the first person to notice that. :thumb:

They'll be on 3 separate loops. I only got 2 new pumps because i'm using 1 pump on my current setup, and i'll just integrate that into the mod when Enigma is complete, giving me 3 separate loops.
    All 3 of the pumps are the; D5 12 Volt Variable Speed Pump

lol ya, i think so too ;)

srsly.. this modding stuff is a blast :dremel:

-Tolk

8. Tolk

Going for a small, but rather significant update today :)

First off, I grabbed my two doors and trimmed off an extra 3/4" from the top and bottom.
    Why? because those 480 rads are friggin enormous, and they're a lot thicker than the 320 rads as well.
    So i had to trim off some of the top to allow for air flow into the rads. (bottom being effected as well cause i gotta keep it even!)

[​IMG]

Sorry, i forgot to get a pic of the after work lol No worries, trust me it turned out well :) (or i would be cussing right now)

Next i moved on to the second hinge hide, here it is cut out and bent.

[​IMG]

Here it is with all the brackets installed, and the cross beam that will hide the gap work in the case.
    [​IMG]
    I can't tell you how tedious this was to get it right, but once it was done i was extreeeeeemly happy :D
    [​IMG]
    I honestly think this was my best work yet on this case.

And here it is temporarily riveted in :D Man, I'm still in awe with how pretty this looks. (i even took the time to sand it down!)

[​IMG]

Well, that's it for today. I'll be out all day tomorrow working on this thing, so hopefully I'll be able to show ya the top box installed.

Have a great night!

-Tolk

9. Moriarty

Moriarty Evil Genius

It looks really cool dude, I especially like the way it balances. Keep up the good work, 3 x 480's. I'm having issues getting over that, still, ought to keep things nice and cool.

10. Tolk

Thanks :) yeah it's almost over kill on the 480's.. but i still love it :D

-Tolk

11. Tolk

ugh...

major setback today.. Was out workin on the top box when my nephew decided to show up and proceed to sneak up behind me and scare the crap outa me.
    I tripped and bent one of my side doors all to hell.

So now i have to go back and remake it.. ugh. nephews, can't kill'm..... can't kill'm..

So i guess my next update will be me making a new door.

Till then..

-Tolk

12. The boy 4rm oz

Damn, that really sucks. Good luck on the new door.

13. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Darn :(

Well, just make the next door nephew-proof.. Or such..

14. Tolk

lol yeah, well i doubt that'll happen. The kid has already burnt out one of my motherboards (the display one u see in some of my pics) by using a screw driver to go "what's this"

so i doubt nephew proofing is going to be possible.

Anyways, i'll proly end up thanking him. I redesigned the door, and hopefully it'll turn out better than the original. :)

-Tolk

15. Tolk

UPDATE TIME!

Well, seeing as my nephew inadvertently destroyed one of my doors i had to go back to the drawing board and work on getting it replaced.

Lucky for him i was able to design a door i liked even better. (and somewhat reverting back to my original design)

Here is a sketchup of my new door design. It's kinda hard to make out some of the details in this pic, but it serves it's purpose.

[​IMG]

The door will now be separated from the top and bottom halves and open freely independent.

Sorry forgot to take some pics of my work up to this point, so I'll catch ya up.

1- I cut out four pieces of alum at 4x20", and then attached two of them to the case.
    [​IMG]
    2- I then continued the case's curve theme on them.
    3- I trimmed them down to size, then cut out two pieces of alum approx 6x8.3", these will serve as two pieces of the middle door. Here they are taped up and ready for me to start the measuring and drawing out of the inside and outside curves.
    [​IMG]

Here they are cut out, and after me drilling all the rivet holes that will hold the top and bottom bars of the door.
    [​IMG]

Next, the top and bottom bars have been cut to size, with the small design cut out on the top and bottom, and then installed with countersunk rivets.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is with it sitting on the case, where it's final home will be.
    [​IMG]

Next i measured out and attached the door to my hinges, here it is on it's side mounted.
    [​IMG]

And here it is with the door open. Sorry, pic is kinda fuzzy.
    [​IMG]
    A much clearer shot of the door open. This gives a much better view of what the sketchup can't. :D
    [​IMG]

I did start on the top of the other side tonight, but no pictures to show. I'll be working on getting the other door fabricated and installed over the next few days.

Hope y'all like my new door design. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

-Tolk

16. The boy 4rm oz

The door looks fantastic. Beautiful work.

17. Tolk

Thanks 4rm :) I'll be working on the 2nd door today, and if i have time i'm going to try to get the top box frame hammered out.

It's funny how every time you design something to work with-in the boundries that you set for yourself, that you tend to push those boundries more than if you didn't set limits on yourself lol

For instance, i wasn't really planning on doing anything special inside the top or bottom boxes where the pumps and powersupplies are going to be held, but the more and more i work on this case, the more ideas keep popping in my head for this little touch, or that little touch.

Well, back to work for me.. :wallbash:

-Tolk

18. The boy 4rm oz

I know what you mean. My initial ideas of my mod have completely changed. It all depends on what is available at the time of construction.

19. Tolk

Moving along! :D

First off i figured I'd show ya a little more of the process that i take to make a door.
    Working on the 2nd door i attached the top and bottom side pieces, like so:
    [​IMG]
    Then, after cutting and shaping the two middle pieces, i measured out 1/2" from the lip of the top and bottom side pieces and used that line to measure out and mount the bottom plate as seen here mounted and riveted together.
    [​IMG]
    After both pieces are cut, shaped and drilled out. I mounted them and then cut out the pattern to give it that little extra something.
    Here is the door completed and installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next i started on the top box, cutting out and mounting the back plate that will be part of the hinged plate that will uncover the pumps and rez's when maintenance is needed.
    [​IMG]

Well, that's it for the last two days of work. Doesn't seem like a lot but it takes time, and I'd rather be slow than mess up a lot. (i still mess up, just not as often lol)

Going to work on the front curved piece tomorrow, and see if i can't get the whole top box done.

Thanks for viewing! Have a great night.

-Tolk

20. Tolk

Wow, what an absolutely beautiful day it was!

Hope everyone had as great of a day as i did. :D

I had a good half day of modding, or would it be fabricating? Eh.. either or, I HAVE AN UPDATE!

First off i grabbed an old piece of scrap .05" alum. (starting to run out lol)
    [​IMG]

Cut to size and installed on the bottom of the main box. This is where my power supplies will be installed.
    [​IMG]
    here's a test power supply fit :) Clearance is GOOD!
    [​IMG]

Well, now that the top and bottom boxes are pretty much done, I did a little disassembly to work on some of the internals of the case.

Here is the bottom plate, removed from the main box.
    [​IMG]
    Next i measured out where all my stealthed cable paths would be, and cut it out.
    [​IMG]

I got a kick outa this while i was cleaning up this cuts.

IRON MAN!!
    [​IMG]

Funny the stuff you see in your mods lol

Well, moving on. I remounted the plate to the rest of the box and started in on the front of the case.

Here you'll see the original use of this 1/2" wide strip of alum. It's other half is in the back of the case used to pretty up the ugly L bar mess.
    I drilled 2 holes on each side as seen here.
    [​IMG]
    And mounted...
    [​IMG]
    The two side plates cut down to size and reattached.
    [​IMG]

While i was working on these pieces i kinda had a brain storm, and a little inspiration from a scrapped piece of alum.
    So i rounded off the ends of this .06" thick alum to the same curve as the rest of the case. Sorry about the pic, it was getting late lol
    [​IMG]
    Next i measured the half way point and cut.
    [​IMG]

Here is the first part of what will hopefully work out to be the brace for my powered front door plate.
    [​IMG]

I know that the above pic doesn't really make to much sense, so, seeing as i changed up the design a bit I'm still working on the sketchup version of this piece. So I'll try to update that tonight or tomorrow morning.

That's what i have for today, tomorrow will hopefully be just as productive :)

"I do not envy the headache you will have in the morning, but for now, sleep well and dream of large women."

-Tolk