1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Make your own USB LCD controller!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ch424, 23 Jun 2006.

1. chaos theory

chaos theory What's a Dremel?

:( any of these?? :18F242 18F248 18F252 18F258
    18F442 18F448 18F452 18F458
    18F1220 18F1320 18F2220 18F2320
    18F4220 18F4320 18F6525 18F6621
    18F8525 18F8621

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

No, none of them. This project needs a second generation USB PIC. It will therefore only work with: PIC18F2550, PIC18F4550, PIC18F2455, PIC18F4455.

3. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Just a little update for people.

i have found that the latest CDC firmware from microship now has a driver (inf) file with official support for vista both 32 & 64 bit as well as xp etc in one file. it can be found on their website. sorry i dont have a link handy. search for MCHPFSUSB_Setup_v1.3.exe

backup your current mchpfusb directory if you have one and run the exe. the inf file is inside.

also i have just got myself a new programmer . its a Pickit2 clone from sure electronics from ebay. All i can say is that if anyone is having issues with there programmer or looking to buy one i can recommend this as it just works great and is very quick and easy to use.

I still havnt worked out how to make windows detect the LCD on any port and assign it the same com port number. Every time i plug mine into a new USB port it detects it as a new device and add's a new com port.

If anyone has had any luck on that please let me know.

Also i may be able to get made some comerial boards for this LCD. anyone interested and which board version would be best?

Scorpia

Last edited: 7 Feb 2008
  4. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

Every time you plug a usb item into a different port windows installs the drivers into registry as a new item for that particular USB port. It will then assign a new com port if it is a com port device. You can uninstall the new com ports while leaving the device in the registry so if you where to plug it in again you will not need to reinstall the drivers. I test usb to 422 converters all the time at work and I need to clear out com ports all the time. I use SeaLevels device remover to remove the device but leave the driver files in place.

5. berkin88

berkin88 What's a Dremel?

which working hex?

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

what?

7. peowyong

peowyong PeowYong

@ch424
    can i have the basic schematic diagram of the LCD thingy (without the rotary encoder, without the buzzer)?
    coz i cant get windows to detect it and i m not sure wut went wrong..
    and how do i connect the BL+ and BL- ?
    i m using a HD44780 4x20 LCD and PIC18F2550 with ur firmware on the 1st page...

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

BL+ and BL- are the connections to the backlight of the LCD display.
    If windows doesn't detect it, make sure everything is soldered correctly and check voltages with a multimeter.

9. kuzgun

kuzgun What's a Dremel?

Clean and Neat ! ! !

One LCD from Turkey. Thanks CH424 for this great project. I make my own and a populate the orignal design fit the back of the LCD module. Some CNC ed plexiglass. My Rotary switch is worked well also (i dont know the brand but its around 5 USD).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am using the GPO 's Btw !
    [​IMG]

Some early assembling Plexi photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you think ? :)

Thanks again and again all ppl who develop and growth this great project.

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

That is brilliant! Great work! :dremel:

11. peowyong

peowyong PeowYong

finally got my lcd to work...
    i didnt connect the pin 20 to 5V and pin19 & 8 to GND which makes it fail to work...:p
    can i use push-button or any switch to replace the rotary encoder?
    kinda hard to find the rotary encoder here...
    and how do i config the button or switch or the function of it in LCD Smartie?
    can i have the source code too? wanna learn something here...
    email me peowyong@hotmail.com

12. MAX-232

MAX-232 What's a Dremel?

Hi I'm new here and I'm very interested in making my own USB2LCD mod.
    I already have some LCD's but only a PIC 18F2450.

That's why I'm asking if the PIC's above are the only option's. Because a 18F2450 is completely pin compatible with the other PIC's, it only has e few less features and memory.

Can I get a copy of the source file also(maxaalderink(at)gmail.com)?
    (It might be an idea to make a link in this thread for everyone to easily download)

Oh and great thanks for this useful guide.

13. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Hi
    Sorry, I hadn't heard of those PICs! Well, I'll send you the source and you can try to get it working! Good luck... :thumb:

14. peowyong

peowyong PeowYong

15. pdo59

pdo59 What's a Dremel?

USB LCD Contr and SmartieLCD

Hello all,
    I built the original ch424 controller with the firmware usblcdbuttons.hex in a preliminary breadboard prototype. I have some questions:

1. How can I send the command listed in http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=115461 trough SmartieLCD ? My problem is the command of backlight : with the button in my breadboard I'm able to switch on or off only the backlight of the software emulator not the really led of the LCD. This led are controlled by a transistor in RB7 similarly as indicated in the original schema.

2. Is possible to use a encoder Panasonic EVE-KC2F2024B ? If yes how I connect it in the original schema ?

Thank for your help.

16. edward57

edward57 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the great work guys..

Edited 01MAY08
    Does the firmware allow for the unused I/O pins RA1-RA5 to be used as digital inputs, and is there a software read to get the status of these pins, or do we need to modify the firmware to access these pins?

If the firmware needs to be changed, would you be so kind and please send it to edwardw[at]ecps[dot]com[dot]au so I can modify it to suit my needs.

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

hello pdo59
    1. I don't know I'm afraid.
    2. I have no idea. Connect the pin for the switch to pin1 on J2, then connect the pins for the encoder to pin2 and pin3 on J2, then ground the other pins on the encoder. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

18. masterhoulahan

masterhoulahan What's a Dremel?

i was looking at the circuit digram im a bit of a newbie at this and i noticed that u didn't explain what BL + PAD and BL - PAD 's are i was wondering if anyone could tell me please :) thanks for your help in advanced
    masterhoulahan.

19. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

Backlight + (positive) and backlight - (negative) for a LED backlight.

20. masterhoulahan

masterhoulahan What's a Dremel?

savior :) thanks alot

Tags: