1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU killed my computer?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stickeh, 28 Apr 2008.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Tested a PSU the other day, and as i switched it off from the back of the PSU it went bang bang pop, safe to say thats dead.

Now my mobo, it powers up in a sense that the LED power light comes on, but no action from the casebutton, just doesnt want to start.

I'm assuming that this is probably screwed, but what say you of the other components?

Can i expect the graphics card ( Plugged in on PCI-e connector ) to also be dead? And the ram and cpu?

Im just glad it was an old computer!

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

An interesting question! The only real way is to test it out tbh, but I wouldn't be too hopeful about any of the components.

It's all dependant on which bits of the PSU went - if it was the voltage regs then one or more of the lines might've gone mad and knackered everything before it went off, on the other hand it could be fine, and the mobo's just fritzed.

3. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Is this when using the PSU that went bang?

just having the standby LED come on but the system not powering up is often the case with a dead PSU

4. Stickeh

The PSU went bang, as i went to turn it off, abruptly turning off the computer, i plugged in another PSU that i knew worked and the status / power LED came on but it wont switch on now!

5. Stickeh

Just tested graphics, theyre dead. Oh jeez. looks like only thing working will be hdd and cd drive as not plugged in! Cant test the ram or cpu tho!