1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Accelerant -- April 5. --

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TheRedJew, 5 Apr 2008.

1. TheRedJew

TheRedJew What's a Dremel?

2. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

If your planing on moving it around, having it permanently attached would be a pain.

3. TheRedJew

moving it around? i plan on having some slack and hanging the switch on a holder on the front panel and when ready turn on comp pick it up and theyll be anough cord to reach and u press the button

4. TheRedJew

well had a huge setback. i was painting my second coat of red on the panel after a good sand down and was happy and i was sitting at my computer when out of no where i here i strong gust come and all the sudden i make a run for the panel but it was too late. the wind had leaves, dust, and even the newspaper it was sitting on all smudging a destroying the paint job. I let it dry but knew it was lost, tried sanding it down but then i got rambunctious and painted it again too soon and it got worse. well im off to sand down the whole project and work again from primer up.

5. Moriarty

Moriarty Evil Genius

I approve of your going with the flow method, at least for the first mod, let's you feel your way in to the modding groove. Bad luck with the paint dude, cursed wind. As for the pinstriping my dad has one of these for his motorbikes; Beugler. It does do a pretty good job.

The old fashioned way is to use a narrow long bristled brush, thinned paint and you use your pinkie or ring finger to follow an edge making a parallel line. Takes some practice and a steady hand but once you get the knack you can do all sorts of variations.

6. TheRedJew

thank you alot you really know what your talking about and i really appreciate that. ill look into the beugler thing looks like a good idea, im going to at least try a brush but i just don't trust my painting skills or steady hand. yeah its been fun just winging it and improvising but next time i would like a plan of some sort.

7. TheRedJew

I just recently purchased me some real nice plastic from delv's and I have started my cuts for my front panel. There are acutally two panels here one transparent red and one a shiny black. The black will be the base piece then will have 1/8" spacers then the transparent red, then eventually pretty red L.E.D.'s lighten it up given it a beautiful effect.

cut out with a bandsaw and jigsaw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    repainted handles a flat black
    [​IMG]
    cut out slots for hinges with dremel :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    o boy i black washed so many things.....took alot of time to primer everything then paint
    i dont know what u think of my locking mechanism but i am particularly happy with them!! :D
    [​IMG]
    mounted the base piece
    [​IMG]
    im painting all the panels but i figured id test brushing the steel
    [​IMG]
    a small black piece to fit over the red and look like a panel for my switches
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 May 2008
  8. TheRedJew

Ever since the wind accident with my painting i have devolped what is probably not an original idea but i call it "the box technique," i load everything i paint into a cardboard box and put it outside and paint in that. Also i have found a couple thing i will use as stencils for when i paint.

the case will have 3 color of paint, a gloss black for the base and a gloss red for the red you see and a flat black that i need to stand out from the normal black.

this will be the main logo and i will paint it on right side of main door with hinges and engrave it into the front panel.
    [​IMG]

i will paint this on the other panel
    [​IMG]

9. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

That second pic reminds me of the song "World Ablaze" by Killswitch Engage :D

10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I like the hinges.
    And your brushing is pretty good, but the case isn't made for that.

11. Nuffenburger

Nuffenburger The Burgerman Can

for that button you should use like a phone type spring cord
    so it stretches out and is neat and tidy at the same time.
    but dont make it grey or beige whatever you do =]

12. TheRedJew

nickhelton: uhh never heard of that band until now! HOly **** thatz a prety bad ass band ty.

500mph: yeah i know i should use alu but i wanted to give it a shot, and ty for the complement i thought i wasn't bad for first shot on steel.

nuffenburger: you know i have been trying to figure out a good way to hold the cord and that is a hella sick 1, im really liking it but imgoign to have to hunt in my garage to see if i can find 1 of those. blaaa beige and grey,bla blabla eh! ty

ty for feedback

13. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

is that axe based on the gil hibben throwing axe? do you own one?

14. TheRedJew

it is very much based upon that axe....good call. and no i dont own that axe i own a couple different ones, that one was reasonably more expensive but i would like to buy one soon especially since i cut the design into the side of my case. copyright on a shape? lol

Tags: