1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Linux problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cyphus, 25 Apr 2008.

1. Cyphus

Cyphus What's a Dremel?

As Ubuntu 8.04 was released yesterday, i thought i'd celebrate by giving it a bash. I've never tried anything to do with Linux before so don't really know much about it, other than what i read in Glider's guide, which was very useful.

So i burnt a Live CD and played around a bit just booting from the cd and really liked it. Then i tried to install it and dual boot with XP, I figure i would just cut my 74GB system drive in half and share half with Linux.

The Ubuntu installer didn't seem to want to do that, when i selected to manually partition, it said my 74Gb drive only had 8MB free, which isn't true, it has 49GB free. But it seemed to want to install on one of my storage drives that was pratically empty, so i gave it 100GB to play with using the easy slider method. The rest of the install went without a hitch until the Grub boot loader tried to boot on the restart, but came up with error 22.

I did a quick search on google and found that i should boot into the XP recovery console and write a new MBR using the command 'fixmbr'. Did that and XP boots fine, but now i have no idea how to get Ubuntu to boot.

Any ideas of what i should do next?
    Many thanks

2. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

You can use tool like acronis or partition magic under windows if you are nto able to make your partition under linux, but normally, gparted is installed by default in system;administration; gnome partition editor. Gparted may be able to do your partition. It is always better to have grub/ubuntu on the master hard drive, it create less error like the one you got. It is possible to fix your problem, but it will take a little bit on command line and playing too much with command line is not recommended for new commer, it is so easy to brake something when you do that (once you know how command line work, it become your best friend and a really powerful tool, but using the command line for the first time to alter your hard drive is, in my opinion, a bad idea).

3. Cyphus

Cyphus What's a Dremel?

I did try Gparted from the Live CD, but it didn't seem to want to do anything, i let it run for about 10 minutes and it was scanning for disks and didn't do anything so i gave up on it. Should i delete the partition linux created and try Gparted again but let it run for longer?

Thanks for the help

4. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

no, acronis is much more powerful, it will solve your problem, sometime, because of a number of condition, you just cant use gparted/partition magic and many other partition utils, but acronis seem to do the job almost everytime.

5. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

The wubi installer is included on the 8.04 disc.

Tags: