1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Glacial by Dia2777 - 05/06 Top fans hole, take a look!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dia2777, 11 Mar 2008.

1. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Wow. This is really looking like a clean mod :thumb:

2. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

I like it. Subscribed!

3. dia2777

dia2777 What's a Dremel?

Tnx a lot, guys!
    May I show you more?
    :)

I need to explain how I wish to put in place the alu sheet , now I'm in the process of creating the closing method of the Glacial.
    I don't like to put a screw in a sheet of metal, sometimes can happen that the tiny thread on the metal go to paradise... This is for me the best fixing method, may I show it to you?
    This special tool handle threaded pop rivets, they are empty in the middle and threaded.
    The available size vary from M3 to M7 thread, but for big diameters I need a bigger rivet machine :

[​IMG]

I'll do a first try on a 30x20mm stainless steel bar that is arond here :)
    I want to use M4 screws, so I need to do a 6mm hole, always 2mm bigger than the screw. As usual, my bech drill will be the perfect tool :

[​IMG]

Once the hole is ready we can easily pop in the rivet, it's not easy as a normal rivet machine, it's necessary a bit of fine-tuning, if it's less than necessary the pop rivet turn around, if it's more it start to do a curve and the screw fall to slap inside...
    After 3 or 4 trials the tuning is done, and we can go on faster.
    Opps, I forgoto to say that the rivet machine needs to be more vertical possible or the screw will be inclined.

[​IMG]

Ok, it seems ok, the rivet is in place , now let's try the screw :

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's vertical :) This time I'm lucky...
    Using this method I'm sure that i can loose or fasten the screw every time I want, and if I the thread goes to hell I can easlily change the pop rivet in minute, with no hassle.

[​IMG]

Now it's the time to talk about the closing method of the Glacial.
    Every time I need to do something i want to do a plan, i want to have a clear vision of the finished case, this allows me to do less errors. I suppose that everyone hate to re-do a work :)
    This is the vertical section of the left bottom corner, taken from the front. The work i'll show will be the way to fix the plexy to the steinless steel profile :

[​IMG]

From this drawings to the workshop, I never expect that will be so good, I like the contrast between the materials, stainless steel, plexy and alu. In the middle of the plexy (blue UV reactive) I've created some free space to accept a neon. So, think about this piece illuminated with blue light...
    I haven't tested, but I suppose this will be a cool effect :)

[​IMG]

More close up pics :

[​IMG]

Inside view. If you note, the outside plexy have a little satin finish, and the inside is clear. This work for a simple need : more light! This piece will be under the Glacial, so I want to obtain a great light effect :

[​IMG]

To end this post, here you have a little family pics :

[​IMG]

The flash of the camera spot the aperture for the UV neon and the two hole for the screws :

[​IMG]

Now I need to complete all the side of the Glacial, a little bit long work, but I suppose this will reward me in the end...
    Soon more update, I want to show you a big post box that's arrived to my door...
    Bye!

4. Fox the ripper

Fox the ripper Pussy Lover

Great work bro, i love your style :dremel:

Dialmo spacca tuttooooo

5. dia2777

dia2777 What's a Dremel?

Tnx a lot, Fox, and happy birthday of your HWmania :)

Now I want to show you the making of the stand for the rad, dvd burner and fan controller.
    All the items will be made using UV reactive blue plexy. As usual, I've done some drawing in CAD to have all the precise measure and to avoid errors during the cutting.

[​IMG]

When the two pieces of lexy are cutted, I've used two clamps to hold it together, so I can work on both :) The two pieces must be perfect, they will be on the open side, so every mistake will be on show.

[​IMG]

As usual, I'll use pop rivets, I've told you before how to use it, so I'll jump the drill and the rivet phase. All is attached to the stainless steel bars, and in future I'm planning to add even the motherboard plate on top, probably in stainless steel too.
    This is the final result :

[​IMG]

In the same way I've done even the second piece :

[​IMG]

To close this post, a zoom pic, to show you my work in detail :

[​IMG]

Tnx to all, guys, see you soon, hope you appreciate this worklog !

6. ichessblumen

ichessblumen What's a Dremel?

Awesome work, man. :jawdrop: Like it. Your dremel skills are fantastic. Now I know how to use the dremel tools I found "useless" beforehand.:rock:

Another thing. Do you have a link to your "thread pop riveting machine"? Maybe I can find a distributor in Germany coz I didn't like threads in sheer metal as you do. I'd love to have this handy thing too :)

Keep up the good work. *subscribed*

7. Fox the ripper

Fox the ripper Pussy Lover

Thnx a lot Dia, i hope i can see with my eyes your case :naughty:

8. dia2777

dia2777 What's a Dremel?

Tnx a lot, ichessblumen, but I bon't have any link for my pop rivet , I've found it in my local store...
    You can try to contact www.far.bo.it or www.bollhoff.com to see if they have a reseller in your country. Maybe is the brand USAG available in Germany? They have a good tool, here but it's pricey, 104 euros...

Sorry for the delay, real life matters ...
    A little up for you, brothers :)
    First , I've soldered the two top bars, I've done all the holes, so it's time to put in place this pieces. The free space that I need to have was for the dvd burner plus the plexy on both sides. Here is a pic prior to soder, all well in place and square on my workbench :

[​IMG]

After the solder, I've used a little bit of polish paste , the works on the main body are near the end. I must tell that the stainless steel is a good material, a light polish and it shine!
    The final result :

[​IMG]

Naturally, the stainless steel will be the eye-catching part and in the end you will see it, to obtain a bood visual effect between the steel and the satin alu :)

Well, go on with the rad holders.
    The base is the plexy, with some angular profile :

[​IMG]

And the second one, perfect simmetry :

[​IMG]

As soon as I finish this two pieces, I'm tempted to try the rad position, so I leave you with some eye-candy pics to see the details of the work .
    I'm really satisfied!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time?
    Hard disk brackets :)

9. Soulman84

Soulman84 tryin' learnin' some moddin'

You are always the best Dia..keep work like this:clap::clap::clap:

10. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Holy hell... fantastic!
    I'm in love with the plexy, too precise cutting work, I'm not that kind of patient guy to do similar works :-(

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hey, I can't see your pictures... only blank spaces... I wanna see them!!:(

12. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

this thing is going to look sweet.

im wondering what affect paint has on the radiator. dose it have any?

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wow! How did I miss this? I like the work you've put into this. :D That's a nice plexi color too.:hehe: The stainless can be sanded to a perfect mirror surface if you put a little more work into it.;)

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Very nice start to your mod. Very well planned. Can't wait for more.

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Congrats Dia2777 on the MotM nomination. Good luck!

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Nice mod and great log. Harder and harder to vote for MOTM.
    Congrats from me too!
    John

17. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Gratz on MotM. This mod is looking great

18. dia2777

dia2777 What's a Dremel?

First of all, some little reply :

@phinix : the server that I use sometimes go down, sorry for the inconvenient...

@Tec_ : the difference between painted and unpainted (aka black) rads is equal to zero, the rad is painted from factory, but in a different colour than black as usual.

@Cheapskate : I don't want a perfect mirror finish, for this case the perfect finish is satin, imho... Anyway, I'm in love with your BlooBalls, I've read it from the beginning, and your idea to recycle the engine for the reservois is really amazing! (without mentioning the custom waterblock and the mobo spacer, amazing!)

@The boy 4rm oz : here is an other update for you :)

@E.E.L. Ambisense : Congrats to you, EEL, I'm a little modder compared to you...

@jhanlon303 : I know this time it's hard to vote, as usual the Bit tech staff pick up a lot of good moddder, and I'm happy and honoured to be in the list!

@yeknom : Tnx a lot!

Tnx a lot to put me in the MOM-April Contest, it's an honour for me!
    Do you have already voted ?

Now, go on with the works, I'm really happy to be in MOM, so this is my way to say a big TNX to the guys who choose to add me to this contest!

I'm adding an alu profile (15x15mm) all around the case, this will be the base for the side panel.

[​IMG]

The fixing method is the same : threaded insert (or threaded pop rivets, as you like) :

[​IMG]

This is the lower side of the case, you can see the UV plexy between the stainless steel bar and the alu profile. This will help me fot the light show.

[​IMG]

Inside this plexy I've added a UV cold cathode, but it's 5mm tick, so I've done a little mod.

[​IMG]

Here are the hdd brackets :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you remember the Glacial logo in the front? My main idea is to do the letters in plexy (UV of course) and put them inside the cutout in the alu. To do so I must cut all the letters, and they must be the same dimension as the case cut....

[​IMG]

Once I've cutted all (damn work, I've to redo some letters), a little satin finish to spread the light and to match more my idea of “cold” .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoot in the dark, UV light on :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some comments or suggestion?
    Next time I'll show you more, now I have some free time to mod, and the MOM contest excite me!

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That plexi text looks fantastic. Insane work buddy. Good luck in Mod of the Month.

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:hehe: No, I think it's the other way around, man!

[​IMG]

Now I know where I've seen that font style....Koolance!