1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New car time.... Again

Discussion in 'General' started by peteone, 28 Apr 2008.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I'd say the Z4, it just looks much better and is easier to live with all told.

The plus side of the S2000 is that they have never had one return with engine problems...ever, but I'd say that's it's only saving grace, as an every day are, it's just too nuts.

Definitely don't get a boxter though. For one, it's a tossers car, and for another, I nailed one in my fabia vrs :D

2. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Toyota Vitz. You can't deny its utility as a hatchback, it's fast because the car is extremely light, and excellent cornering agility from its short wheelbase. It's also quite cheap to buy and maintain. Of course it isn't quite up there with the S2000 and Z4 in a straight line, but driving straight lines is a real yawn, anwyay.

But if you absolutely had to choose between the S2000 and Z4, take the S2000. Best Motoring did an extensive review of the Z4, Z4 M edition, and S2000 (AP2 chassis). And the S2000 slaughtered them both in every regard from driving feel, comfort, performance, and ownership expenses. It was reviewed by Keiichi Tsuchiya, Daisuke Ito, and Takayuki Kinoshita, all of whom are highly acclaimed professional race car drivers and qualified journalists on Best Motoring.

**edit: the Vitz might be called a Yaris or Echo where you live.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2008
  3. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I know someone on another forum who has had two s2000s and 3 new engines as in 3 failures. Have a look at a S2000 forum for proof. I think it may originally been said that V-TEC part has never failed?

4. RTT

RTT #parp

I was just about to say the same thing, it's the most mis-quoted load of rubbish ever. Indeed, the VTEC unit has (allegedly) never failed, but plenty of honda-vtec engines have failed, no doubt about that. The VTEC engines also have no tolerance for being even the slightest bit low on oil, too. :)

5. Mother-Goose

I googled and I stand corrected :D

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Thought about an MX-5? RWD, supposedly one of the best handling cars there is, and for that money you could stick a supercharger on :naughty:

And what is a Vitz? If you want a hatchback, you could look at the Auris SR180. It's diesel, and ridiculously quick.

7. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I have a turbo MX-5 and yes they are that good.

8. peteone

peteone Minimodder

I been looking at the new MX-5 and quite like it, Im not sure its as good a drivers car as the earlier models but at the price Ive seen them going for, its a lot of car for the money IMO.

Ive testdorve the MK5 golf GTI last week and loved it, problem is, its the same engine minus turbo that Im running at the moment. Ive got a GTTDI golf too so really looking for something totaly different.

I found this article a bit concerning too :(

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article3842848.ece

9. Mother-Goose

Octavia vRS - 170 bhp and 40something mpg around town. It's all you need.

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah, great suggestion when he's looking at 2 seater roadsters :p

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The new one is supposed to be every bit as good and focussed as the old one, but with a few nice toys too. :thumb:

12. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Thats what's wrong with the new one apparentely, a couple of the add-ons simply further detach the driver from the car, like so many other newer cars these days :waah:
    I've driven & thrashed an mx5 once, it was a little old, about 100k on the clock. It still drove ok, but not enough power and the shockers were worn and soggy so the car wasn't very flat. They don't look at all tough stock either. With some nice shockers, lowered springs, good wheels & a turbo, it would be an excellent little car, but too small for me. The rx7 isn't much bigger but i'd much prefer that car, it's sooo damn sexy, it's probably the next sexiest jap car after an nsx? I'd put up with the extra maintenance, but again, a little small. Same with the mr2, awesome little car, but i want bigger. Why couldn't they have made the supra mid engine :waah: I don't wanna splurge all that cash on an nsx!

13. RTT

RTT #parp

I like the twin pipes on the new MX5... tho not sure about the front, the lights look like they are looking up rather than forwards :eyebrow:

14. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

The twin pipes are nice, and i think the front is ok, just needs some nice mesh put in the opening. Alot of other years of mx5 had ugly fronts. None of the mx-5's have ever had nice tailights, maybe there is an aftermarket option that looks good? The rx-8 tailights are very similar, just damn ugly! The interiors of these two cars looks ok, but it's a little flat & plasticy aswell. The rx-7 dash is really nice tho... mmmm, nice! Just needs to be trimmed in leather = Cheesecake

15. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

My folks just bought a new MX-5, it looks really good for the money - in particular the 2.0 with the folding roof. :)

16. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

lemme tell you a secret...im a mechanic for bmw...and the z4 is one of the cars with the least amount of probs....lol....z4's only come in for maintaince...the 3,5,7,x5 they always break...hahahgo for the z4

17. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I wouldn't bother about the MPG too much when making the decision, other costs such as servicing, wearables (brakes, clutch, tyres etc) and insurance will make a far bigger difference than 28mpg compared to 32mpg (quoted figures). It's worth doing a bit of research to find out what both cars are like.

Easiest way to decide is just to drive both of them, they're quite different cars so you should be able to choose fairly easily.

Another car to consider if it's not too focused for you is the Lotus Elise.

18. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Im sold :)

19. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Yeah, Ive been looking at the S2 elise and its beaut. It is however a bit bare for me, I like a few comforts. Also Im not so sure on how it would be for a day to day car.

20. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Or you could get a Vauxhall VX220, which is essentially an Elise with a Vauxhall engine (plus you can get a turbo one!) It's supposed to be a bit more comfy, I've heard.

Tags: