1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

I'm going to be a little controversial here.... Doom 3 disappointed me less than Bioshock. The reason I say this is that Bioshock just stayed samey all the way through & actually got dull. Where as Doom 3 (& I'm sure people who finished it will agree) actually got better towards the end & I really enjoyed the last few levels.
    Don’t get me wrong - Doom 3 was very boring for 2/3s of the game, but the end made up for it.

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

You know, I'd already forgotten I'd bought that game. After all the hype, the spiritual successor to System Shock 2 was more arcade shooter than adventure FPS. I remember playing SS2 co-op way back when and really getting into the story. Perhaps it was because I had a friend there sharing the experience, or perhaps it's the rose tinted glasses, but Bioshock didn't come close to recapturing the atmosphere aboard the Von Braun for me.

Oh, and I've just worked out what Mongoose's sig reads. =]

3. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Assasins Creed....

OMG how boring:

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet.

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet.

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet

Get to the city.
    Climb the towers.
    Evesdrop.
    Pickpocket.
    Save the citizens.
    Beat up the dude.
    Assasinate the muppet

Oh yeah and there is always looking for the flags when you get bored of completing the other missions. As for the combat system...LOL I get so tired of fighting the few guys that to spice things up I try to find as many guards as possible for a massive riot, it's just too easy.

Major dissapointment!

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I quite enjoyed assassins creed, but then again, I didn't read into the hype, I try not to as the hype machine always ruins games.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

aw come on, you could of used spoiler tags, you just runined the game for me!
    (sarcasim noted)

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

GTA4 :worried:

Massively disappointing. Not the step up from San Andreas that I was hoping for. The graphics are mediocre. It's still as glitchy as ever, infact it crashes yesterday while I was playing. The camera angles are annoying. The cars drive like boats. Trying to walk/run round a corner ends up with him going all over the place.

There's just nothing special about it. I can't find a single new feature that's a big step up from the last 3 games (wow you have a mobile phone now :eyebrow:)

Not that I won't keep playing it, but it's still disappointing. :sigh:

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Oh come on, saying Oblivion was a dissapointment because of that would be a bit like getting given the largest them park known to man all to yourself and then complaining because you have to wait 10 minutes for a guy with some bolts to come along and finish the rollercoaster. ES games are always flawwed when they come out - I rarely have fewer than 100 plugins by the time a new one comes out, and that modability easily cancels out any dissapointment at initial problems imo.

I don't understand why Bioshock dissapointed so many people so much. Obviously it was hyped to ridiculous levels by the publishers, developers, and plenty of reviewers (ahem) - but the game was stunningly beautifull, very haunting, had an excellent aesthetic and did explore the idea of an objectivist society inherantly leading towards a nightmarish cacotopia. Not to mention you got to shoot freaking fire from your hands.

As a game on par with SS2 or any of the other true greats of gaming? Get real. As an enjoyable, shiny, fun, well crafted game? Yeah, it did well imo.

Just stop beliving the hype folks and you won't be so dissapointed.

edit: Actually, I forgot about spears and pauldrons - take back all that stuff about Oblivion, it was pretty dissapointing in many ways despite being awesome.

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Not sure if i can add this, because i feel they should never have been made at all, but any WWE game's, yes, i had the misfortune of playing one, and witnessing them also.

Sam

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

With Bioshock it was amazing the first time round, but there wasn't anything that made me want to play it again.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Doom 3.... what a piece of crap... run around for hours in circles through the same corridor trying to find the way to the next one, great, really great, never made it past level 2 or 3, I simply coudnt find the way through.

Unreal 2, the loading times would have ruined any game, the actual game in between loading times was too short.

Civ 3, sorry, it had to be said.... the original one was great, but the series went steadily down afterwards.

nfs pro street, steaming pile of crap.

Last edited: 5 May 2008
  11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I enjoyed Morrowind just fine without mods, I thought it was great, I don't believe I should have to mod a game to make it how it should have been when released. Although I did put mods on Morrowind like better heads and better bodies, I didn't ever put any gameplay changes in there, I just couldn't be bothered to put a load of mods on Oblivion to make it fun. Morrowind had flaws, but they were acceptable, Oblivion's flaws destroyed the game, I think that constitutes disappointment.

Also the fact the graphics were pretty awful compared to the earlier videos, there were only two voices in the game, and all the faces looked awful. I'm all for having ugly and normal people, but not everyone looks ugly.

I quite liked the game, but it wasn't as good as Morrowind, and surely a sequel being better isn't too much to ask.

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I think im going to add Resistance to the list as Ive just played my copy on single player and online.

I got it for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I have to say its just pants. I thought this was the halo for PS3 but i was so wrong. The single player bored me within 10 minutes, and the AI is worse than the AI in the original retail Pc version of Counter strike.

Multiplay is smooth and there is no lag in a 40 player game, however it does not make up for the poor level design which is as basic as basic can be. There are 40 players running around like headless chickens not knowing what the f**k to do, and the more powerful the weapons are supposed to be, in actual fact they seem to have less power than a spud gun. Your better off sticking with the basic machine gun you start with because thats the only thing that is going to kill anyone.

If PS3 owners think this is an amazing and great fps shooter then they have never played one before, either that or the only fps they have ever experienced is perfect dark.

Seriously, PS3 needs something alot better than this and to hear there is a sequel in the making, I can only dread what its going to be like.

Very disappointing.

13. Lenith

Lenith What's a Dremel?

Unreal Tournament 3, too gears like, chunky characters, game speed felt alot slower than previous games.. and what the hell did they do to Deck !?

14. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Wow @ all the Bioshock entries :eeek:
    Whilst it certainly was overhyped, i loved it... i've actually played through it 3 times already :lol:

But for most disappointing game? Doom 3 wins this hands down.
    *monster pops out of darkness*
    <shoot monster>
    <walk two steps forward>
    *monster pops out of darkness behind you*
    <shoot monster>
    *monster pops out of darkness behind you*
    <shoot monster>
    <repeat the above until you're hopelessly bored and instinctively shoot behind you everytime you walk a certain distance as it's so predictable whats going to happen>

usually when FPS's get boring i turn on godmode and go on comedy chainsaw rampages or whatever to see the storyline... after a few hours of that i *still* got too bored and just gave up :duh:
    It's the only FPS i've played i haven't finished...

15. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

Assassin's Creed
    EQ2
    Vanguard
    Halo series (I generally like most FPS's that I play too)
    Sonic on 360 (Oh god, I loved the ones for sega so much, but this one was...ugh)
    Doom 3 sorta (I liked it, but didn't have the umph I got when I first played Doom/Doom 2 all those years ago)

16. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I've found that if a game hasn't enthralled me in the first few rounds, I just rampage through on god mode for the story. However, usually if I find the game play entertaining, I opt to actually try since it ends up being fun. I guess that's how I've gaugeid some of these new games recently.

17. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

I'm sick of noobs crying about this. There are very, very few creatures that continue to level with the player throughout the game -- just a few "boss" type enemies. Everything else gains a few levels and then caps. People who find they're not getting stronger in relation to the creatures are usually power-levelling by increasing marginal skills and not developing their main skills properly. So they're encounting level 10 enemies when their useful skills are about at level 3. When I was about level 15 I could one-shot just about anything in the game.

My complaint about Oblivion is the opposite -- the levelled loot made the stock game far too easy. By the time I hit level 20 the bums and tavern wenches were sporting Daedric armour and magic weapons, and since I actually had skills appropriate for my level I could just beat them up and collect millions' worth of uber items. I found the balance just right when I left the creature scaling alone and used a mod to make the powerful items rare.

18. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

^ Completely agree.

When I first started play enemies were very tough. By the end I was just casually walking round the oblivion worlds just twatting everyone & everything without caring. I actually found it ruined the game & wish the enemies were harder.

19. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

just rememberd my biggest ever dissapointment, it was resident evil 4 on the pc, i loved all the re games but did not have a console when 4 came out and when released for the pc i was overjoyed untill i got and installed it, i could not beleive how s**t it looked and played just as bad, afte 5min i uninstalled never to see the light of day again

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Mario Kart on the wii.

I'm still a little sad that I didn't like it. GTA IV is making me forget though.