1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Teybers Rotary Single Stage

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 24 Dec 2007.

1. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

I would lower it, with the right suspension you lose next to nothing in the way of ride quality. You can also get metal skid plates that can save your oil pan (mine has saved me a couple times). If you have any VW questions let me know and I can point you in the right direction as I have modified quite a few :) Now back on topic...

2. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

With the amount of money you spend (or whoever spends for you), I wouldn't take that bet.

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

pressured it to 250psig in water with no bubbles and no drop in pressure anyways, glad nobody took it:D

No mods to the bunny till warrenty is up. Was thinking struts, cai, and short throw but realized that that would be a lot of money for not much performance and would jeopardize the warrenty...

4. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

bahh...
    who needs a warranty!!!

5. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I meant to point out the exorbitant amount of money you're spending on this project. What you might wager would just be a drop in the bucket to you but a sizable chunk of change for anybody else. I'm not saying this a good thing either, far from it.

Am I the only one that's feels turned off by this project simply on the grounds that he's spent thousands of dollars on this and he's only 16? I get the feeling that he's blowing his own horn by announcing how much he spends. It's as if money is going out of style. I'm not questioning the amount of effort you've put in, I'm questioning the justification of such a inordinate amount of spending.

Perhaps this is just me being envious but seriously... It seems like this project is a mash up of case modding and My Super Sweet 16.

6. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

me too.. not.. well dunno, i love the idea of making this kind of cooling systems, but im pretty turned off about the product he made at the end, i mean f*** yeah id love to get the money for all this copper and i love to see that you can, but it looks like you just got no SKILL and PATIENCE for what you want to do, of course, i can start to talk about "youre only 16 you shouldnt braze copper all on you own and spend thousands of bucks in copper" but skill comes from learning, but maybe you startet to early with this project, anyways, im feeling sorry if i pissed you off, didnt wanted to, anyways.. more heat to the copper and your brazings would get million times better and stronger (learned brazing an welding at school and im friggin happy to know how this works now)

7. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

The afganis/talibans did manage to build their own kalasnikof with rather simple tools in the mountains, i bet if they got your tools and machines they could build a jet plane lol ,but i guess less machines or tools forces you to be more creative with what you got to work with(ask me i did my build in my kitchen with only simple hand tools lol ) ,anyway i hoppe to see some realy nice work coming out from al this.

Regards.

8. Teyber

Teyber ******

froop: no skill and patience? Thousands of dollars in copper!?!?!? function before form, If it holds dry n2 it holds dry n2. If it evaporates refrigerant from the metering device it works. Just refilled acetylene tank so now i i don't have to braze 500 grams of copper with a mapp torch, should help. Also your turned off by the product in the end? I Havn't finished the product, maybe you should read a little closer.

b[x]: huh? is my $ of anybody's problem of my own? im not trying to announce it, can somebody show me where i did? This thread is meant to be educational.

Seems like you both are just talking to talk, i am not feeling anything useful. thats fine i guess, i personally feel like thats a huge waste of time but thats just me.

3/16" copper pipe came in, along with two rolls of 10ft .031" cap tube so finally have almost everything for the second system. just need the 1.5" copper pipe for the accumulator and for the sleeve on the new evap...

Regards

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I'm sure the talibans would promptly use a vw & phase change system to make a suicide bomber car, which gets the job done using record low levels of fuel consumption.

A rear strut brace would take some weight off the front if need be, and a stronger rear swaybar would do this even more so - i haven't driven that car so i don't know how the suspension is balanced tho? I would assume that a front strut brace would make the car too twitchy, but this would probably be cool at lower speeds. A front strut brace does increase the weight balance to the front, so you probably would want to counter this with a rear swaybar :thumb:

These mods can be fitted to some cars without having to cut or drill anything, which means you can remove them for warranty, but it would be a real pain to do everytime you get the car serviced :wallbash:

I like the lap job, maybe a photo shoot where we can see the rabbit in the reflection would look cool :naughty:

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Don't worry about them Teyber, they can't even put a sentence together properly. This thread is great, have been subscribed for a while. Sure the amount you spend on tools and materials is out of our league. But you don't see most of us complaining, instead we enjoy the work these tools allow you to create and share.
    If they don't like function over form, they can go get a mac :D
    Keep up the great work :thumb:

11. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

yer you know what i think bout you and your build teyber from oczf dont worry bout the 2 out of god knows how many that actually like this and very much respect you for being able to do this at 16!

josh

12. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ What's a Dremel?

u have some amazing tools i must say, looks great

13. Teyber

Teyber ******

kk thanks for the encouragement guys and thank you 4 for posting so fast. I want constructive criticism as thats how i learn. i am here to learn. I think almost everybody is here to learn. Thats the only reason to be on a forum imo, but irrelevant flaming and talking about my financial situation is just hilarious i think. i laughed out loud when i read that. What i do with my money is what i do. I'm not trying to sound like a d!ck but sounds like your just pretty jealous, to try to flame me, i brush it off with a joke then you write 2 paragraphs and compare this to my super sweet 16? lol. If you want i can make you even more jealous, but i don't want to drag this thread ot so PM me if your interested. We can talk all about inheritance money, my fidelity utma, et cetera.

Thanks to rest.

mvgusta: sounds like a bit too much work. I'm not going to think to much about any car upgrades till around x-mas... but to many things i want first :p car upgrading is expensive and addicting, much like crack cocaine... i think ill stay away till i have a real job.

took pics, and just finished re-sizing them. ill post again with an update once the pics upload

EDIT:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there ya go mvgusta :D

14. Teyber

Teyber ******

k a little update.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got cap tube in mail so i wrapped it around the suction line.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    made and brazed another maze. AMAZING with oxy/acet! seriously took like 30 seconds-2 minutes to braze this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Much cleaner as you can see
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And top also much cleaner. The glob on the 3/16" tube is because i got it so hot with oxy/acet it melted and leaked :O so i had to dab a bit of 15% there to patch it up. no biggy.

Sorry to just be doing "busy work" as i say... I need the 1.5" copper tube i ordered to continue from this point on on both builds. for recip: need it for accumulator, for my rotary: need it for evap.

So sorry about that, once again this build has been too long but it seems that every step forwards i take 4 steps back, and the 4 steps back forwards are a great learning experience thanks to the great people of various forums.

Regards

15. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

If I'm envious of anything, it's of how much money you have access to, not how you spend it. If you really want to make me jealous, post a picture of you paying bills with money you've earned.

For the record, what I wrote was not an attempt at a flame. Interpret it how you choose.

You may have the final word if you'd like, good luck on your project.

16. Teyber

Teyber ******

No, i don't like getting into arguments. Keep in mind that all this money is not into a single build rather a hobby that i will persue for years to come. If you know anything about the hvac/r field you will understand that safety makes it necessary to have expensive tools to do it properly and SAFELY.

I appreciate you input, but it was the sweet 16 reference that seemed a little overboard to me.

regards

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

woot POTM :D And the phase is looking good, as usual :thumb:

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Fantastic work buddy. I have always wanted to try and make one of these myself. I have an old fridge out the back lol ;). Can't wait to see this up and running.

19. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

awesome work, been following this for ages :) Personally i think that if you've got the money to spend on good tools and equipment then spend it, nothing wrong with that at all.

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks guys. the Boy 4rm: you want to take some pics and send them to me? fridges don't work too well unfortunately, usually condensers are very thing and spread out, and the compressors are too small for our uses :( a window AC is great though, though loud the rotary compressors are powerful and will get ya some nice temps :D

Working on a prototype atm, ill be posting it when its done...

regards