1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Advice/comments on this setup please(don't hurt me i'm new :P)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olv, 27 Sep 2002.

1. olv

olv he's so bright

Just about to invest in my first water cooling system(oooo how exciting) and i have selected the following parts;

OCPC Neptune AMD Waterblock 3/8
    Black Ice Xtreme PC Radiator
    Eheim 1048 pump
    Using 3/8 piping throughout in the arrangement shown below...

[​IMG]

Not yet decided on waterblock for my geforce 3 yet, suggestions would be appreciated

Basically i'd like coments/hints/tips on my hardware choices and schema(not quality of drawing i know it sucks :D)

Also how do i over come the problem of filling my system with liquid as i'm not using a resevoir due to lack of space
    Another thing what kind of 120mm fan would be best to use for acceptable performance? I know a fan with airflow rating of 100CMF is recommended but most fans with this rating are also loud and i'm really aiming for silence...

all help appreciated guys
    thx

2. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

i'm not a big watercooling knowledge base, but i think that setup would severly limit flow through the cpu block. from what i hear, high flow is better. my idea would be to just take the outlet from the cpu and connect to the inlet of the geforce. i've heard they don't produce a lot of heat anyway, well, compared to an amd 1.45 t-bird :D

As for a fan. hrm. I was going to use Papst ones, either this doozy from plycon or this one from Dangerden. 55cfm isnt bad, at least in my opinion. And they're nigh silent too.

3. ocha

ocha Minimodder

well obiously a higher water flow past a WB will be better as it will give the heat a lot more of a chance to be removed by the water, also outlet of CPU WB -----> inlet of GPU WB is usually the way that it is done or sometimes the opposite way around. hope that helps

4. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

High flow is not simply the answer. Yes the block needs high flow to remove the heat from the CPU.

BUT the radiator needs low flow to get the heat out of the water.

The answer is to achieve a good system ballance, not one or another with flow rates.

With 3/8" tubing the pump you have picked is fine. The 1250 should only be used with 1/2" and low velocity radiators.

Do not split your flow like that, run the water from the CPU straight to the GPU. The water only heats up by .3c by passing through the block on my system.

If this is your first system do a simple CPU loop first. Get used to it then start adding additional blocks afterwards.

I prefer panflow fans myself.
    :naughty:

As to the bleeding issue - go to www.swiftnets.com and see their great bleeding system. Then all you need to do is go to B & Q and copy it for 1/4 of the price:rock:

Last edited: 28 Sep 2002
  5. olv

olv he's so bright

thx guys

that bleeding system looks simple enough but how does it actually work? i'm guessing one of the top valves is opened first to allow water to be poured in and then i dunno lol

ok so new revised schema

[​IMG]

i think i could cope with putting both cpu and gpu waterblocks in first time... the immortal words "whats that worst that could happen" :p

6. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

Just a quick pointer-

Your bleeding system needs to be at the very top of the system - if you put it at the bottom it will not work.

why not try using a t-peice airtrap - not much different from what you drawn but will cost less than an overly complex solution like swiftech and be just as good :)

Yeah doing GPU and CPU is not that difficult but it does take a bit more planning than just doing a simple CPU loop.

I will re-iterate TiTch's recommendation that you start with a CPU only loop and then expand later.

... and the worst that could happen is that you blow up everything in your box and start a small fire! :hip: :D

hope that helps :D

7. olv

olv he's so bright

hmmm fire u say? tis getting a bit chilly now, getting into the winter season ;)

8. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

9. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

If you want REAL fires get into TECs LOL they'll keep you warm!

Burn Baby Burn ;) (link's ben posted before but its worth seeing :))

Btw - that DD GF4 block like b1g d0g is selling is a good graphics block - esp with the stainless steel mounting kit like I think he's selling his with. I've got one and have been pleased with it - decent high-flow design :)

/pimpage for B1g ;) :clap:

10. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Yes m8 its just like yours Mr Cool.....word :):rock:

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

btw i dunno if hwlabs has changed this but the bix is fitted with 1/2 barbs as far as i know.....will cause problems with the flow rate....

12. Dr_kazza

Dr_kazza What's a Dremel?

A reservoir would work nicely if you have the space...

The USUAL way to do things is...

Pump -> Rad -> CPU Waterblock -> GPU W/B -> Reservoir -> Pump

The theory being that with the rad first the water is at its coolest.
    if I did my setup that way the tubing would be twice as long so I
    went for

Pump -> CPU Waterblock -> GPU W/B -> Rad -> Reservoir -> Pump

with the theory being the water is being cooled when it is at its hottest therefore the heat dissipation will be better. I'd Imagine there isn't much in it but I'd put my money on my system working better for a computer left on for a long while (the ideal is to have 2 rads... one before and one after!)

If you want to see what I consider to be the best watercooled rig (in terms of aesthetics - no idea on performance) check out PSDL's rig here Part 1
    Part 2 otherwise have a look at my rig in my siggy which was inspired by it (project ringpiece!)

good luck

13. olv

olv he's so bright

hmmmm i'm starting to feel a little out of my depths.... *Sigh*

14. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Buy a cheap tupaware tub and do what i did m8 turn it into a res,buy some bulkhead fitting and some barbs. :)

15. Dr_kazza

Dr_kazza What's a Dremel?

Don't be... honestly just loiter around here a bit read a couple of articles and you'll be an officionado in no time :)

16. olv

olv he's so bright

/me runs away to the land of air and noise :worried:

17. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO water is your god now,you will never leave "ALIVE":rock: :clap: :rock: :nono: :nono:

18. Blodhemn

Blodhemn What's a Dremel?

I recently bought a watercooling kit, my setup practically the same as the other guy here.

Pump -> Rad -> Cpu -> Tank -> Pump

About the same locations aswell.

Im getting a lot of air in my divine waterflow, which makes my pump a bit grumpy, and when he's not happy - I'm not happy... I'm not a fan of gurgling sounds either. :wallbash:

So, i'm looking for a possible solution to the problem.
    Any thoughts or ideas? - Anyone?

19. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

you sure u bled the system properly???

make sure are ur fittings and hoses are tight...

20. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

ur pic would work if u extended the hose above the top line to the cpu and filled it up with water till the water level in that hose is higher then anything else.....but its pretty unpractical

Tags: