1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Doom 4 announced, id is hiring

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 May 2008.

1. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

John carmack is smart, hopefully they'll listen to the complaints about d3 and quake 4 and make another trully classic game

2. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

I hope they listen to the flaws of doom3 and make doom4 better, ow and I liked quake4 and I'm eagerly awaiting Quake 5 :p

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am actually glad that iD is still alive and strong. Never was a big fan of their games, but I respect this studio. Can't wait to see the new engine

4. Ares.fts

Ares.fts What's a Dremel?

Awesome!!!! Can't wait.
    I personnally didn't have any problems with Doom3, apart from the occasional moment of being scared ****less and leaping out of my seat. Hope Doom4 is just as good if not better.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I loved Doom 3 my damn animals always tried to scare the daylights out of me while playing it in the dark lol cant wait for this

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The Doom 3 engine was an indoor engine primarilly, where as idTech5 (Rage engine) is far more focused to large outdoor spaces (they have racing in Rage afterall). Doom + wide open spaces? I forsee a remake of Doom 2. Now THAT would kick ass hard.

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

well, the story (I know, doom and story doesnt really go together but anyway) of the doom 3 expansion basically ends with not much left to do a sequel, which in combination with the more open area's the engine will allow as you mentioned bascially leads to one conclusion for me, in doom 4 we will go to hell it self.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

True, but the there was no real transition between Doom 1 and Doom 2, it was a totally seperate invasion that just happened to include the same lead character. And forgive me, but didn't you go to 'hell itself' in both Doom 3 (you get the soul cube there) and the expansion pack?

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

What do you know? You never finished Doom 3 anyway!

10. mayakovski

mayakovski 10" blade with a 5/8" arbor.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Doom 3 was enjoyable if you took it at face value.

Doom 4 should be good.

12. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

I didn't play the whole D3 since I got tired of it... scary? yes of course but I got to a point where I was tired of all the darkness and walking through the same corridors over and over again. Instead I switched to Q4 since it uses a much more enhanced version of the same engine, looked better but was missing that scary touch.
    After playing Crysis (Core level), it pretty much change my whole perspective of how an alien ship should look and feel like (lets start with no gravity). I wonder how that level of design could be applied to a Doom4 setting... hell monsters instead of aliens... sweeeeeeeeet

I will definitely give it a shot, and If I like it I might buy it, however I have some suggestions for it:

1. no monster-closet AI (even though it really sacred me sometimes)
    2. improved level design (less corridors and more open spaces)
    3. a freaking flash lite ON your gun (its the future for god sake)
    4. build it as beautiful as you want, just make sure that's perfectly coded for any high end machine (don't make it a Crysys nightmare)

13. reko

reko What's a Dremel?

@Burnin'
    They said Doom 4 will be more like Doom 2. No scary little girls, you don't run outta ammo.

Doom 3 was pretty good I think. The level design was good. The fact that is missing open areas makes it a little badder. But in rest it's pretty good overall. The engine is great aswell.

Tags: Add Tags