1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You're not just missing what Veles was saying, but you're doing it while being rude and you actually pulled out that most assholish of lines "noobs crying". I would be inclined to agree with Veles, levelling enemies did damage to the game, but not because of the difficulty level - not because it was too hard, simply because there was never a cave you couldn't enter because it would totaly pwn you and then you could enter later on because you had become better. It's not the execution of levelled enemies that particularly angered me, it was the very concept - it removed the feeling that the world was real. I'm sure Veles wasn't complaining about the difficulty (For I know he's a competant game player) - I think you've very much misinterpreted him, and pulling out the noobs crying line is extremely infuriating.

2. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Not true. The generic dungeons sure, but there are plenty of quest related places with enemies of a certain minimum level that are assured death for low level characters, that you can enter without having any inkling that this place is different from the average. If the op wasn't complaining about the levelling making it too hard, he's the first I've ever seen take that position. EVERY single post I've read (and there must have been a hundred a day on the Bethesda forums when Oblivion came out) was that levelled enemies make it seem that you never get a feeling of power because everything gets stronger with you.

So, noobs crying. Too bad for your friend if he's a one in a million exception, if he doesn't make that clear then of course he'll be tarred with the same brush.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Maybe so, but for a large part, quests levelled with you. And even so, the random I'm just going to pop in here and check this out bits of the game are just as important to immersion as many of the quests.

Like I said, I disliked the levelling system too but it wasn't because of the difficulty (the game had a variable difficulty, afterall, you could make it as easy as you wanted) - it was because it reduced immersion, and just made the game felt more limited in order that people who power-level wouldn't feel their characters were overpowered by L25-30 (but then, if you don't want that, why power-level?). It was nothing to do with the difficulty level of the game, since as I said the difficulty level was totaly optional.

To be honest I think you're failing to understand the difference between people disliking a system that levels with you because it makes the game less enjoyable as a whole, and people who simply want things easier. True enough, going on the limited evidence I have people from the Bethesda forums are retards, but no-one I've talked about the levelling system with cared about the difficulty, they cared about the fact that levelling just made the game less realistic within it's own little world, and it almost made the concept of levelling feel pointless.

4. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

UT3 .... it sucked more than the wife

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

STALKER - just awful.
    Boiling point - sadly worse than it should of been.
    Worms 3d series - ruined.
    CS:CZ - could of been so much more.

6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Thread was tl;dr so I have no idea if it's been mentioned yet, but...
    Desperate Housewives: The Game.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Agree. Difficulty didn't scale with you, but everything else did and that ruined Oblivion. I love the mods and I loved the game, but I got sick of fighting bandits in Ebony Armor by the fiftieth time and the Oblivion Gates were just crap tbh.

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Repetitive in almost every way, i played a few missions and then simply couldnt face the thought of another 10 minutes of "stealth" riding to get to the next city and do the same all over again. I was also dissappointed with the free running system, which, while fluid and easy to use, required absolutly no skill to execute even the most amazing moves. Prince of Persia gave a much better sensation of movement, where the player was actually in full control, rather than "press button and direction" to do everything. Even the story telling was flawed, with you being constantly pulled out of the "game" to be force fed some more slow paced plot. I don't want my character to "log off" and go to bed, I want to be immersed in the 12th century middle east!

That, and Altair challenges Squall Lionheart from Final Fantasy 8 as possible the most unlikable game main character ever - cheer up and make a reasonable decision you miserable git!

Last edited: 7 May 2008
  9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well you all saw me coming, but I have to say it ....

I have never been disappointed by a game as much as I have been by UT3. Us, UT99 players, were all expecting huge things from this game. We all thought it would bring back the feel of the original yewtee and reunite the splitted community that 99 and 2k4 created over the years. We were expecting a huge success from this game ... *sigh*

Some people cannot understand how frustrating it is to have your favorite series just thrown down the garbage like that. Imagine Wow servers being closed down tomorrow and the game being only available on the Wii. This is how us, UT players, feel.

I have been disappointed by other games in the past, but never as much. One good example though was Farcry. This game looked so fking incredible that when I got my new computer just about when the game was released, I was expecting to waste countless hours playing it. Well that certainly didn't happen as the gameplay is complete garbage (and so are the characters animation and voices, haha)

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah, as spec said, it wasn't because it made it too hard but because it ruined the feeling of getting powerful enough to overcome a challenge that kicked you in the teeth earlier. Although difficulty did have a a bit of an effect on my hatred for the system. I think it was just me being unlucky, usually when playing it I didn't find it impossibly challenging, but there was one point near when I started playing that really annoyed me and put me off the game. While the fact that an enemy will cap out is true, once you get to a certain level, those enemies are replaced with more powerful ones. Where I was unlucky was going into an Oblivion gate (can't remember which), I went in there pretty much straight away, I found it quite challenging so I decided I'd leave and practice my swordplay a bit, I knew there were levelled enemies but I wasn't expecting what I got. I went to the arena and won a few fights, getting my armour and blade skills up, leveled up a couple of times and went back to the gate. I must have leveled up just enough to spawn the next level of enemies, because when I went in, the enemies had changed to harder ones, and because I was only just high enough level to see these enemies, they were even more challenging than when I had come in the first time. It completely ruined the whole idea of developing your character and levelling him up, I suppose in a way it is more realistic, the longer you leave ruinous powers to have their way the more powerful they become, but it was in some ways unrealistic too.

Because it was pretty hard, I decided to bump the difficulty down a notch, when I did though, it went from being almost impossible to completely unchallenging, even though I had barely moved the difficulty slider.

I like the way Mass Effect did levelled enemies myself, the enemies scale to your level, so no matter where you go you are faced with a challenge, but the enemies don't change, they always stay the same. In Oblivion at the start, no Minotaurs at all. reach a certain level, and bam, they're everywhere like they appeared out of no-where. In ME, it felt a bit more realistic, you felt like a human at all times, you couldn't take a noticeably larger number of hits because you had killed an arbitrary amount of enemies, but you still felt like you were getting more powerful because you unlock new biotic abilities, etc.

That's another one I should mention actually, even though I love ME to bits, it could have been better in many ways.

11. Major

Major Guest

Not using that stupid wheel are you?

12. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

I've counted 4 in this thread alone... The universe is going to s'plode.

13. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Amen to that one, I had UT99 on earlier, online, getting pwned as it were. I did feel a little annoyed at 2004, it felt generic and lost its edge. I havnt even given UT3 a chance, from what I have heard Epic don't deserve my money.

14. Major

Major Guest

Download the demo then, thought it was awesome tbh.

15. Akava

Akava Lurking...

For me it would have to be...

Command & Conquer – Generals.
    Just a complete lack of entertaining AI, the only real enjoyment I got from it was trouncing multiple enemies online with friends

Dues-Ex: Invisable War
    Quite enjoyed what I have played of the first, just couldn't get into this one at all though.

CS: Condition Zero.
    Fairly boring tbh, just... no...

16. Keivz

Keivz What's a Dremel?

My list.

1. Assassin's Creed - I had this one on my wishlist for so long, too.
    2. FFVII - One of two games that I could not stomach finishing (the other being Robowarrior for the NES).
    3. FFVIII - Finished this one, but have never played a FF since because of it.
    4. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - Had high hopes for this one.
    5. Splinter Cell - Only played the first one. Found it stiff and unimaginative.

After reading this thread, I think I'll hold on buying Bioshock until it's in the bargain bin.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's a great game, just don't expect it to be the next SS2/Deus Ex

18. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

Agreed - Bioshock is a good game, but no where near as good as the reviews/hype make out. Hence - Disappointing.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can't agree with FF7 or 8, but definately agree with Assassin's Creed and Riddick. Try Splinter Cell 3: the best one of the series imho, absolutely brilliant well worth picking up now, especially for the ridiculously low prices you can find it at. I didn't really like the first one that much, but loved the 3rd.

20. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Hmm, lots of people bashing Generals. In all fairness, I don't think it's a great game, but I was never really disappointed with it. The single player was pretty awful, but online play, espeically with Generals was a good laugh. So for you haters, play some online before bashing it.

Anyway, I think for me, it has to be Crysis. It was kinda "meh". The game was way over hyped and suffered horribly because of it.